PDA

View Full Version : Computer goes into windows but monitor wont turn on

unknown69
06-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Hello, I recently bought a new video card GeForce 7300GT and I installed it to replace my onboard 6100, it work fine for a day and then it started randomly crashing the computer. It would make the screen go fuzzy and wierd and then it would just shut off, this happen i couple of times and then I opened the computer and check to see if the video card's fan was working and that it wasn't overheating. Then I tried turning it on and I could hear it go into windows (Made the windows startup sound) but the montior wouldnt turn on and just stayed on standby mode. (This in my mind rules out any malfunction with the motherboard, ram and hard drive due to the fact that it wouldn't be able to even go into windows if something was wrong with the with either.)

I replaced the monitor, took back the new video card and replace that aswell and nothing seems to work. It wont even switch back to my onboard video card now even after I pulled the CMOS battery out and reset the jumper cables in hopes that it would set the onbard as default again in the BIOS but no luck... Anyone have any suggestions?

Is there any way a really old monitor can burn out a PCI express slot by burning out somehow?? OR is there anyway a PCI E slot can burn out in general?

Any help would be greatly appiciated :) thanks in advance...

Computer is:
Gateway
1 gig ram
7300gt 512 video
amd 2.2 ghz(i think) duo core

stormdragon
06-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Would check that the card is getting enough power.

unknown69
08-10-2007, 04:47 AM
How would i go about doing that??

feersumendjinn
08-10-2007, 09:30 AM
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t18476.html
Do you have at least a 350w psu?

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 09:50 AM
You couldn't burn out a PCI-E slot unless the card or motherboard itself is stuffed, besides, it would be the chipset or other components burnt out - the slot is just a piece of plastic with copper contacts in it

and there's almost no way a monitor can kill a video card, the other way around is more likely although the chances of that are still very low, and only if you had a very old monitor.

So basically neither video card works now but windows still loads, is that it?

unknown69
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes the computer starts up but monitor dosnt power up. I check my SPU and it says output 300w so does that mean that I need o buy a new power supply?

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes the computer starts up but monitor dosnt power up. I check my SPU and it says output 300w so does that mean that I need o buy a new power supply?

Maybe. What brand is the PSU you've got there?

Though your old onboard should be working if the new card is out, it might be a driver issue

Can you boot into safe mode and see if that works?

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 11:10 AM
You couldn't burn out a PCI-E slot unless the card or motherboard itself is stuffed, besides, it would be the chipset or other components burnt out - the slot is just a piece of plastic with copper contacts in it

and there's almost no way a monitor can kill a video card, the other way around is more likely although the chances of that are still very low, and only if you had a very old monitor.

So basically neither video card works now but windows still loads, is that it?

Errrrrrr not right - I have seen a monitor blow cards / boards in the past, in fact I have a PC in the workshp right now that has a blown board from a faulty monitor shorting, right through the graphic card contacts, you can actually see the damage. (and smell it :yuck: )

If there is a problem with the monitor and the bad current flows back down the lead to the card - POOF!.
Any component that connects to any part on the PC can be blown if there is a fault.

{quote} It wont even switch back to my onboard video card {end}

If the video card is removed, and reconnect the Monitor to the onboard - when you start the PC try hitting the delete key, see if it will load into the BIOS.
If it wont show on the screen, or the screen wont even start up, as in the no activity, and you say the monitor was changed - then its more than likely a blown / faulty board.
If it worked OK for a day , which you said it did,and now no video, its not very likely a power supply.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
If there is a problem with the monitor and the bad current flows back down the lead to the card - POOF!.
Any component that connects to any part on the PC can be blown if there is a fault.

Yes, but you'd have to have a pretty faulty monitor for that to happen :xmouth:

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes, but you'd have to have a pretty faulty monitor for that to happen :xmouth:
Only takes a split second of a power surge and POOF!
Example: the lightning here in Wellington over the weekend - had 3 calls this morning with both 1 PC now DEAD and 2 blown modems due to a power surge.
Late yesterday we had a good surge, all 8 of my UPS's went nuts for a few minutes.

If the onboard graphics which was working now doesn't even boot the monitor, meaning back to original setup, then the signal is not getting from the Motherboard to the monitor.

If the power supply was faulty then the PC it's self would more than likely also not start.

Personally unless you have all the actual testing equipment then I'd suggest you have a computer repair technician look at it. Just "Picking at straws" / guessing wont resolve anything.

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Just adding to my last post - get someone who has the testing / knowledge to sort it out, other wise it may end up costing you more money than required.

If it does happen to be a faulty PSU then that gets replaced, if its a Motherboard - then that gets replaced, if its both then you replace whats causing the problems - no point in purchasing items "willy Nilly" hoping you get the right one.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
It's always best when you've got the PC right infront of you

Still, as far as PSUs go - the cheap ones are downright nasty and hazardous

eg: the ones the catch fire and burn when the outputs are shorted, only to blow the mains fuse 5 minutes after, rather than their own

I'd like to know how these things get certified and go on sale when the ATX spec specifically says that in any short circuit the PSU must instantly shut off

wainuitech
08-10-2007, 12:26 PM
It's always best when you've got the PC right infront of you

Still, as far as PSUs go - the cheap ones are downright nasty and hazardous

eg: the ones the catch fire and burn when the outputs are shorted, only to blow the mains fuse 5 minutes after, rather than their own

I'd like to know how these things get certified and go on sale when the ATX spec specifically says that in any short circuit the PSU must instantly shut off
So true about having the PC in front of you.

I expect the power supplies are added in so they can be a selling point. Most of the cases I get have either the cheaper 300 or 350 watt PSU's in them, the first thing I do is remove them and add in a better PSU, or try to get the cases without a PSU.
The power supplies blowing - Yeah not to good, but lots of power supplies also go through hell - if you don't have some sort of surge protection or UPS then the PSU will take the brunt of any dirty power. Power supply problems can really shorten the life of any PSU.

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
You've probably heard of the really bad ones, in US they go under the name of Solytech or Deer - I think here they're the Hyena ones.

The ECS of PSUs....

this MSI Turbostream 460 Watt PSU is a rebranded one: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM5NywxMiwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

Shuts itself off by exploding capacitors. Never saw that in the ATX spec...

Agent_24
08-10-2007, 03:03 PM
On the subject of exploding PSUs:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=129

Pretty good review if you're interested

unknown69
12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys... i folded and ended up taking it to a shop, they said it is most likley the motherobard... so i gusse I will have to drop some money on a new one. Thanks for the help again :) really appriciate it!