PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Setup and X Server

stormdragon
05-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey Guys

Hope you can tell me why this is happening.

Whenever i try to boot ubuntu from disk on my acer 5100 laptop i get an error saying:

"Failed to start X Server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"

Then gives me the chose of 'yes' or 'no'.

Myth
05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Have a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=231811), especially the reply by Ziox

stormdragon
05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Only one problem with that the 'sudo reboot' part restarts everything and due to the fact its a live cd the settings changes make no difference when i reboot.

Jen
05-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Seeing it is a LiveCD version you are booting, try starting it with one of the different video/safe mode options. Have a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=372429) for some options. A bit of a search shows other Acer 5100 laptop owners have successfully installed Ubuntu with a working X server if that is any encouragement.

stormdragon
06-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Tried booting in graphics safe mode made no difference.

Might just try pclinuxos2007.

Jen
06-10-2007, 10:48 AM
LiveCDs while they give you a taste of that particular OS, can be hard to work with if you strike problems as you cannot retain any tweaks required.

If you are mainly interested in LiveCDs rather than performing a full installation, consider SimplyMEPIS as another option. It has good hardware support and can be installed to the hard drive later on if it appeals to you. :)

A lot of people here have commented on how nice PCLinuxOS is to use.

stormdragon
06-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Jen i had been using ubuntu on another computer and wanted to install it on the laptop.

Yeah i read a while back some comments on PCLinuxOS so downloaded it and have been using it on another computer. Its brilliant!!