PDA

View Full Version : Cat5e Junction Point

Ash M
05-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I've just moved into a new place. Its a brand new house. Each room has a jackpoint with a Cat5e port and an RG6 Coaxial video port.

I have looked throughout the entire house and I cannot for the life of me find where the junction point is that all the Cat5 cable meets. Plugging in two computers to different ports does nothing - there is no network connection detected, thus i'm taking it as given that there is no hub/switch pre installed.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find where it would be as I have literally looked everywhere inside and outside....

Thanks,

Ash

bob_doe_nz
05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
The only thing that I can think of is either

Call up the previous owner and find out.
Get / borrow a network cable tester and plug it in to see where it goes.

wainuitech
05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
As long as the cables are actually installed (I know that sounds silly) but take one of the wall covers off and make sure there are actually cables running to them - it would be stupid to install plates without cabling in a new house.

If they are there the usual places that they Should all converge to is someplace that also has a power point, to power up routers, switch etc.

These are normally in a specially designed location, or up in the ceiling or cupboard, it depends on how they were installed. Look in the fuse board area also.

Any sort of cable testers wont be any good, as they require to be plugged into both ends, plugging into one end will send a signal, but thats all, with nothing plugged in the other end it wouldn't work.

What sort of house is it.? Double / single story , garage underneath etc.

Or ask the builder where they are.

pctek
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
In the ceiling? In a cupboard? Under the stairs? Under the house?

CYaBro
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Most of the houses we have done we have put the central hub in the garage.
Pretty easy to spot as it has a big curved door on it. Sort of like the main power switch board but bigger.
Otherwise as stated earlier it may be in a cupboard or wardrobe.
I doubt it would be in the ceiling as that would be a pain to get to replace a router, patch in a new jack point or whatever.

Pete O'Neil
05-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Jump up in the ceiling/under house and see if you can find the cable chances are its blue cable so it shouldn't be too hard to find, although it could be hidden behind insulation etc. Find a spot in the roof/floor where you know a flush box is and rat around for the cable, if cables are connected to the flush box its got to be there!

wainuitech
05-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Most of the houses we have done we have put the central hub in the garage.
Pretty easy to spot as it has a big curved door on it. Sort of like the main power switch board but bigger.
Otherwise as stated earlier it may be in a cupboard or wardrobe.
I doubt it would be in the ceiling as that would be a pain to get to replace a router, patch in a new jack point or whatever.

Seen them in the ceiling before;) in fact I had to configure the whole router etc in a REAL tight space. The builder had allowed? a huge 300mm SQ box approx to place the router and all cables - idiot.

It wasn't thought out at all, in fact the power point in the ceiling to power up the router was approx 3-4 mtrs away from the end of the cabling - real bright:groan:

Ash M
06-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I still can't find it thought which is annoying.
I might just pay an electrician to come and find it for me - if its even there.

Its a duplex house so I wonder if its next door...

Just in case it is somewhere I haven't found and is already has a switch/hub installed would I need to use crossover or patch cables from the pc to the jack or would that not be an issue.

I was also thinking it might just be Cat5e used for phone cabling, although there are standard phone ports as well...

george12
06-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Try taking the covers off and seeing which direction the wires go. They should all be pointing to the central location, though you'd need to look at three or four to get any idea where that might be.

They might all be going straight up, for example.