PDA

View Full Version : PCL(inux) Question

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Is this a common problem?

xorg.conf seems to have a lot of hits and posts because it breaks...is it just a small or big bug?

Just want to forestall any problems for the next older guy and his child bride. <no..I have already posted why I said that>

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Yep, fair to say I've had a few run-ins with Xorg... seems to be good if you don't annoy it :D

vinref
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
The best thing you can do to avoid any problems setting up X is to gather all the info for your monitor and video card. You should also get all the info for your mouse and keyboard, but these are less trouble unless they are exotic.

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Yep, fair to say I've had a few run-ins with Xorg... seems to be good if you don't annoy it :D

......and just what WOULD upset the empire of Xorg?

I like to poke sticks at the bears sometimes, but this bear may bite back. :blush:

kjaada
05-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I thought this box was going to be for an old bloke,not for you to poke sticks into LOL

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
......and just what WOULD upset the empire of Xorg?

I like to poke sticks at the bears sometimes, but this bear may bite back. :blush:

Yes, I should have qualified my statement SJ:

If you don't have an Nvidia card and if you don't tinker with things that you shouldn't, the bear will likely stay in it's cave and just growl occasionally... much like S/HWMBO :dogeye:

Actually, PClos once you find the right control panel and tab there-in and figure out what the heck they mean by the labels on said tabs/panels is quite configurable in a GUI sense... doesn't quite make it to the look of XP or (cough) Vista yet, but I seem to remember there were a few themes you could download that were 'Windows replacements'... enough to fool an old man's young lady perhaps?

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 03:50 PM
OK..that's fair enuff.....

One more pressing question...as I am still running Kubuntu for the nonce...I am having fun with it..really I am!

I have a few .tar.gz things on the desktop..things I WANT to install...like Firefox 2.0.0.7, but even though I have "un-tar'd" them, I can't figger out how to INSTALL them now.

I have:

install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

and....

firefox-2.0.0.5.tar.gz

and the un-tar'd versions sitting right below them...now what do I use to install them?

OOOOps.....just noticed that I cannot get my Kubuntu taskbar to appear...it was supposed to come up when I hovered in the lower left corner...but it has somehow fained to reappear now...Any ideas?

I tried to read the KDE Help Center, but that topic is sadly skipped over.

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Boy- you're stretching the brain cells for a Friday afternoon :waughh:

From memory it involves something called a 'terminal'. You've got to be root to get there, navigate from the terminal through to the desktop then type in some arcane rubbish to make the tar open.

OK... my brain just exploded.

Myth, Chilling or Jen may help there :dogeye:

Sherman
05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
SJ, USE A PACKAGE MANAGER!!!!!
(In your case, Adept)
You may need to enable some more repositories to do this, this can be done from within Adept.
Specifically, for kubuntu you want to enable multiverse and universe (I think that's what they're called)

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
UGH! I got into a multisession manager of some sort and am now rebooting...hopefully it will forget all that I messed up....:eek:

I am doing the adept thing and have downloaded upgrades..etc, and now applying them...it's gonna take a short while.....

I don't know where I am or what I am really doing...maybe the desktop/taskbar will revert back to a default setting and it'll return...hopefully :waughh:

4478 upgrades?!?!?!?!...looking like SP2!

Sherman
05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Don't worry, it's just (I think!!) updating the package LIST...
(I should certainly hope that you're not downloading over 4000 updates - in fact, you probably have less than a quarter of that number installed)

kjaada
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
In yr applications or I think on yr desktop is Synaptic.If u click that it will come up with a list of everything installed and available to install on yr system.Both flash and the latest FF are on that list and you will work out things when you see the list.Everything from there on is automatc,no need for Tars etc.

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
The bottom line tells me this:

Install 2, upgrade 192, remove 0, 944 installed, 192 upgradeable, 4478 available

download: 252M, installation:98M

It's still happening...all that "k-" stuff! Phew!:nerd:

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
See?

Here's some of the Swahili I was talking about:

tar xcvf file
cd directory
./configure
make
make install

what is: "xcvf"?

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Well...it's done but I still don't have the newest Firefox yet...I have 1.5.0.12

And the taskbar is still missing....yuck!

Myth
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
See?

Here's some of the Swahili I was talking about:

tar xcvf file
cd directory
./configure
make
make install

what is: "xcvf"?To find out what options mean for tar, you can go to terminal and type 'man tar' which will bring up the manual for tar

kjaada
05-10-2007, 04:54 PM
You really will find that PCLOS is MUCH better,Why are you frustrating yrself with kubuntu?
You can play with that after you pick up a bit from PCLOS.Oh and you will find that most USB printers will not work on Linux without some tweaking.Linux likes serial printers and scanners.

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Now I have something called "Konki" on the desktop and this:

Install_flash_player_9_linux-Konquerer on the top bar

and there's a few icons in the window...

flashplayer_install (looks like a "read me" document)
flashplayer.xpt (which won't open unless I can guess how)
libflashplayer.so (which does NOTHING at all)

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
You really will find that PCLOS is MUCH better,Why are you frustrating yrself with kubuntu?
You can play with that after you pick up a bit from PCLOS.Oh and you will find that most USB printers will not work on Linux without some tweaking.Linux likes serial printers and scanners.

I am ALMOST completely convinced.....this L-stuff is just strange!

If I knew what those acronyms actually meant, it'd help.

kjaada
05-10-2007, 05:07 PM
If u are using FF u do not want Flash in konqueror although I feel you have Konqueror as yr default browser.That should add to yr confusion LOL

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 05:14 PM
OK...I quit on Kubuntu...but I have tried a reboot with the PCL.iso in the cd-drive and it still restarts in Kubuntu.

How can I get it to open and/or run the .iso and get away from Kubuntu?

I want to fdisk and start all over.

Do I need to reinstall 98SE to get the disk cleaned again?

English please.

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I can't really add anything about kubuntu for SJ... but for those interested PClos comes with a special menu./setup for HP printers (yep, including usb ones I think).

From memory it had quite a list of different printer brands in the general printer set-up menu and my fairly new Konica Minolta laser printer worked no problem... Linux are finally getting with the play :rolleyes:

SJ, I'll give you a wooden nickel if you can find a complete man page manual for kubuntu that makes sense :D

disclaimer: anything I say about linux is from memory- I am old... my memory is older... you get the idea. I don't need to be wrinkled and flame grilled if it aint there

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 05:23 PM
SJ, won't PClos run as a live version booting from CD? Then you just click on the install icon on the desktop and the wizard thingie gives you the options of formatting the drive (ie keeping or wiping kubuntu)

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Um, it sounds like the box you're using might not have CD drive as 1st boot in bios?

I would have thought anything in the CD drive with it as 1st boot would run in preference to the installed OS?

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah...it blinks the cd drive and then just opens Kubuntu.

I have the sequence set up thus:

Floppy (A)
CD-Drive (D)
HDD (C)
USB (J)
NETWORK (Z)

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Is there any way to get to a default setting in Kubuntu?

I would like to undo all the stuff I did and get things back to normal.

Do not let me play with your nuclear reactor either.

Shortcircuit
05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
IDo not let me play with your nuclear reactor either.

I'll remember that SJ... strangely I've heard it before from my 'acquaintances', but what's a barbie between friends :blush:

There's sumting wrong with your CD if that's the boot order because it's starting the CD from the bios before it should be getting anywhere near the HD and kubuntu.

Sure you've got the disc right way up in the drive? :D

Can'tt say I've ever seen a 'default' in Linux and no system restore that I know of... only Macs need them LOL

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I Googled and got this to return to default:

Hit CTRL+ALT+F

then enter this

rm -rf .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

then hit this

CTRL+ALT+F7

Then log in and it's all like b4 you messed it all up.

OK..well..I can't figger this out either.

I did this at least a dozen times so far and it just sits there and does nothing.

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
besides command, is there any other way to get to the kernal?