PDA

View Full Version : Wireless modem routers.

Timbo
04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone, what is a good looking, good performing and well priced wireless modem router?

I've got 1 desktop and 1 laptop.

Tim

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2007, 07:51 AM
I brought the Dlink Gen II for $135 the other week.

Altho, I'm not using the wireless on it. But it looks pretty easy to setup.

Its also an access point and has 4 ports on it for ethernet, if you want to add more computers to it.

BUT, according to this forum, not a lot of people like Dlinks. :xmouth:

It hasnt given me any probs yet, using the ethernet tho.

SolMiester
05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
LOL speedy, you are right, not many like D-Link for good reason, go for Cisco's Linksys Routers! I have the WAG54GP2.....

Linksys site NZ (http://www-nz.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C1&childpagename=NZ%2FLayout&cid=1134692390134&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=9013437028H01)

Speedy Gonzales
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
When I brought it, I had the choice of this and a Linksys.

When the guy in the shop said you'll have to get in touch with someone in India, if you need help, WELL say no more :lol:

This was pretty cheap tho. The guys down the road know me, so gave it to me for $15 cheaper (was $150.00, or something). The Linksys was $160.

I just flashed this the other day, thought I had killed lol. BUT no, it updated no prob at all. (Obviously, coz I'm here)!

Just have to figure out, how to open the damn ports for DCC in Mirc.

I think I have to put in any ip in manually under the LAN properties. And then add the ports needed for Mirc. In the router.

Pete O'Neil
05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
This has been disguise so often on these forums, even as recent as yesterday. Im sure if you took the time to look over the titles of recent posts you'd find several that answered your query.

beeswax34
05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Linksys, the service centre is great but good to know the bias of the people on this forum against Indians. I'm glad they never help any of you or you can't understand. Serves you right.

Joe Blogs
05-10-2007, 07:37 PM
When I brought it, I had the choice of this and a Linksys.

When the guy in the shop said you'll have to get in touch with someone in India, if you need help, WELL say no more :lol:

Used Linksys online help a few weeks back and found it was one of the best online help I've come accross.

Grimy
05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I have a desktop and Xbox 360 connected by cable and a laptop by wireless to a D-Link G604T. Was a great price a year or so ago (around $100 at Compulink-from memory). The range isn't great, but all I need (no one will be stealing access from the road! Yes I am encrypted anyway). When my son tried connecting his Nintendo DS wirelessly it wouldn't work until I did a firmware upgrade, which was straight forward.
Good price, does what its meant to. I'm not complaining.
Oh and although I've never had to contact D-Link by phone so don't know where their call centre is located, I have with other products who have their call centres based in India, and I've always found the service provided polite and helpful. One guy went out of his way to email me extra info, etc. Top marks, some NZ call centres could learn a thing or two from the professionalism the Indian call centres provide.

lakewoodlady
21-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a NetGear wireless router and have my wireless laptop networked with my PC. No problems whatsoever. However, I wish to change to xnet VFX soon and I will need a Linksys adapter to plug my phoneline in so I can use the VOBB they will be offering.

So, I would reccommend you get a wireless router with at least one extra phone port on in case you ever want to get the VFX too.

beeswax34
22-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Just so you know, this thread is 17 days old now and I'm pretty sure the person has already bought what they want.