PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Xtra webmail send email problem

PeteS
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Being only an average PC user, yesterday caused me many hours of grief and wasted international calls. I've decided to fully use the new webmail Xtra is offering simply because I travel a great deal and the idea of having all my emails and unlimited mailbox size anywhere in the world on any PC appeals.
Yesterday had me wondering about the wisdom of such a decision. One of my client companies in Europe started "it appeared' to be rejecting all my emails to everone of the many recipients as spam. All my other emails within NZ and elsewhere were sending no problem. A few calls to Xtra help desk and up a few levels seemed to confirm that I had been blocked by the Company server.
That evening I called the company and their IT manager stated bluntly that I was not blocked and in fact they had no record of my emails actually arriving at all.
Back to Xtra who while polite told me to call today for a higher level help desk.
Now being a bit of a newbie I googled a fair bit and also followed the prompt in all the many returns to Spamhaus.org and discovered that one of the IP numbers that Yahoo was using in the 'hops' was blocked on a PBL list whatever that is.
Rationilising that IP numbers might change I rebooted my PC and router and suddenly all was corrected and my deluge of emails hit everyones mailbox in Europe (good news )
I reported my finding to Xtra today and again they seemed interested and I have no complaints except I'm surprised it was my accidental discovery that solved the problem......
My question is that does Xtra & Yahoo have a problem that might catch the unwary as it seems from some google threads that Yahoo gets blocked as a spam source and why is xtra using ip addresses that are blacklisted?

stu161204
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Welcome to PressF1 PeteS :)

Now being a bit of a newbie I googled a fair bit and also followed the prompt in all the many returns to Spamhaus.org and discovered that one of the IP numbers that Yahoo was using in the 'hops' was blocked on a PBL list whatever that is.
Rationilising that IP numbers might change I rebooted my PC and router and suddenly all was corrected and my deluge of emails hit everyones mailbox in Europe (good news )

That does not sound right to me (As the ip address you use is not the same ip address that your e-mail go thru as your mail goes thru the mail server that has a different mail server then you have), I think what happened was during the time that you where googleing this, the blacklist on the Xtra / yahooxtra mail server expired or Xtra & / or Yahooxtra got that block removed.

My question is that does Xtra & Yahoo have a problem that might catch the unwary as it seems from some google threads that Yahoo gets blocked as a spam source and why is xtra using ip addresses that are blacklisted?

Its/was fairly common for Xtra mail server (Before they became yahooxtra) & yahoo's mail server to be blacklisted as a source of spam, as there will be people trying to send spam with a fake (or real) Yahoo! & / or Xtra e-mail address & company’s like Spamhaus will blacklist one of there mail servers as spam, as they think the reported e-mail came from that mail server (Some time they do, but not all that offen)

Also Xtra has no real control over what ip address there mail server has I think yahoo looks after that all now.

I Hope this helps :), any questions let me know

PeteS
04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I see the logic in your comments...many thanks for the explanation