PDA

View Full Version : iTunes won't run since I reinstalled it

Neil McC
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Keeps coming up with this message (which I've copied from another site,no solution there)

"I have a problem with starting up iTunes. I first double clicked on the icon on my desktop and then it comes out with an error message, "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close." When I click on the error report it says, "AppName: itunes.exe AppVer: 7.4.3.1 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 10001040"

It is the latest 7.4.3 and the previous one did install ok.Decided to uninstall that one untill I needed it for a friend who's just been given an ipod for father's day.He has no pc.
This has installed ok on another pc. Have tried rebooting,reinstalling the 7.4.2 version, but both now come up with the above message.
Apple update, which has been installed in my startup folder with iTunes, says that Quicktime needs updating to 7.2.I usually use Quicktime Alternative,would this affect it? Quicktime itself is not showing in my startup folder, like it did last time iTunes installed properly.
Any clues please?

Neil McC
04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Well,I just uninstalled Quicktime Alternative and tried reinstalling iTunes. Quicktime showed up and it's away again.
Thanks Neil :eek:

wratterus
04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Knowing Apple, they probably designed the latest version of iTunes especially, so it doesn't work with the QT alternative.

Speedy Gonzales
04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
You werent syncing at the time when it crashed were you??

I know if the enable disk use option isnt ticked (after an Ipod has been connected), it'll crash.

This is what happened to me with a previous version of Itunes. Until I ticked the above option.

It works fine here atm, with 7.4.3 tho.

I found that if you uninstall a previous version and leave the folders there, it doesnt annoy you with asking u to do the MP3's etc all over again. If you delete the folders, after u uninstall it will.

Neil McC
04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Not syncing at the time.Just getting a look around before my elderly friend comes round to get some of his cd's put on his iPod.Have already ripped his cd's as mp3's, so don't want to change them any more.
Where's this enable disk use option Speedy? Been through the preferences and can't see it there!
So I've yet to see how it works.
Thanks.:thumbs:

winmacguy
04-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Where's this enable disk use option Speedy? Been through the preferences and can't see it there!

When your iPod is connected it is here (iTunes 7.4.2) when you click on the iPod icon in iTunes it is at the bottom of the list under Options.
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/enable-disk.jpg

zcc
04-10-2007, 10:15 PM
fark 7.4.3 they can go whistle after all the C^%$%$^P Apple releases this year.. Time they learnt from MS how to do upgrades properly...

winmacguy
04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
fark 7.4.3 they can go whistle after all the C^%$%$^P Apple releases this year.. Time they learnt from MS how to do upgrades properly...

They do Mac upgrades no problem its just when it comes to Windows users:p

SurferJoe46
05-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Not syncing at the time.Just getting a look around before my elderly friend comes round to get some of his cd's put on his iPod.Have already ripped his cd's as mp3's, so don't want to change them any more.

What prgm did you use to rip the cd's?

Neil McC
05-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks winmacguy.I've not seen the ipod connected yet.Thought I'd better see how iTunes worked before he comes around to transfer files.Got to look like I know what I'm doing ;)

SJ, I use Exact Audio Copy for all my rips now, with the latest Lame.

winmacguy
05-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks winmacguy.I've not seen the ipod connected yet.Thought I'd better see how iTunes worked before he comes around to transfer files.Got to look like I know what I'm doing ;)

Generally the UI of iTunes is not that hard to get around. I've been using it since version 4.2
WMP has been simplified a lot to bring it in line with iTunes in that same time frame.
iTunes supports MP3, AAC, WAV, Apple Lossless and AIFF codecs with Apple Lossless being the best of all of those.
As previously mentioned the iTunes Help menu is always a good place to look if you get stuck.