PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird mail

bjf
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Afternoon all. Problem:XP refused to boot, complaining of a corrupt Sys32 file. Applied "the disk" to discover it installing another instance of XP on the D:\ drive. OK, going with that, used it to shift Documents and Settings, and Program folders to D:\ , renaming folders. Delete Windows folder on C:\ and reinstall. Now that Thunderingbird is up again, where do I look for the mail and addresses in the stuff I saved to D:\? Speak slowly please, preferably not in polysyllables. I'm long on enthusiasm but short on smarts.

Shortcircuit
04-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure your mail will be gone unless...
a) you saved a copy of each e-mail to 'my docs' folder or similar.

b) you left a copy on the server and can re-download.

Your thunderbird stuff is saved in C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ etc

If you can restore these folders in your new install you might get your old e-mails back.

mikebartnz
04-10-2007, 08:55 PM
It is where shortcircuit said but if you want your current copy to point elsewhere the easiest way is to edit profiles.ini. Mine looks like this
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/mnt/DataShare/MozillaShare/Thunderbird/18nbmfqy.default

IsRelative is changed from 1 to 0 and the path is to where the files are that you want to use.
I have used this numerous times when reinstalling and when running more than one OS but using the one set of files. The same goes for Firefox.

bjf
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks team. Will set aside a bit of weekend to try these out. Watch this.