PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Printer Wirelessly

learning
04-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I have a multi function printer/scanner that is connected to the PC using USB.

Is there anyway i can connect the printer wirelessly to the PC via a router or must i have a printer that is Wi-Fi capable

wratterus
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
You'd need a wireless router with a USB print server, like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=346410) one.

Please bear in mind Dlink modems are crap - that ones not a modem. I own that model myself, and it's great.

Pete O'Neil
04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
You'd need a wireless router with a USB print server, like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=346410) one.

Please bear in mind Dlink modems are crap - that ones not a modem. I own that model myself, and it's great.
What you actually need is a wireless print server, seeing as the OP already has a router the unit you've suggested could cause problems.

A print server allows the printer to be shared over the network and run independently of a PC, with most having ethernet as the means of connection, a wireless print server will simply replace ethernet with wifi or in some case provide both. A quick look over the Ascent website shows several wireless print servers by the likes of Netgear and Level One, unfortunately none are cheap all around the $200 mark.

A router with built in print server like what Watterus has recommended would do the job but would be a little bit more difficult to setup if you were to run it as a client to your current router, if you don't mind moving the router to where you want the printer it could be a good cheaper alternative to the expensive standalone wireless print servers

wratterus
04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
When I was shopping around for one, that one kept coming out on top for price, and functionality. I really only needed wireless and printer server capability, not switch and router as well, but it's so damn cheap compared to everything else! It's a simple matter of turning DHCP off so it doesn't conflict with anything else already on the network, and it gives you a few extra ports if you want.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that, seeing the OP wants wireless connectivity with the printer, it wouldn't really matter where the printer was situated, and beside the router should be fine?

A standalone print server doesn't normally provide internet or network access either, especially if it's in a completley different part of the house! And quite likely the OP is going to want that as well.

Pete, do you enjoy trying as hard as you possibly can to contradict everything anyone posts?

Pete O'Neil
04-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Pete, do you enjoy trying as hard as you possible can to contradict everything anyone posts?
No i just get annoyed when people come here for help and people offer half ass advice. Your advice was good but you failed to mention the reasoning behind it. You told the OP that they need a wireless router with print server which isn't true, they actually need a wireless print server but they are expensive so a wireless router with print server is a good compromise. How can we expect people to learn if we don't take the time to explain things fully. Half assed advice is worse than no advice at all!

wratterus
04-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Fair call. And yes, I could have said that a bit better.

learning
04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys...I will go with Router then that allows USB connection of printer.

Just out of curiosity Is there anything on markket that has USB to ethernet connection converter so a ethernet based router can be hooked to USB printer or that is not possible?

I have a Desktop PC and a Laptop and a bulky Brother MFC-3420C USB printer.

I plan to have the DSL feed into Router and then it will connect to Printer. Since printer is Bulky i wanted to leave the DSL router and printer downstairs and then PC and Laptop to connect wirelessly from upstairs.

wratterus
04-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys...I was thinking to go with Router that allows USB connection of printer.

Just out of curiosity Is there anything on markket that has USB to ethernet connection converter?

I have a Desktop PC and a Laptop and a bulky Brother MFC-3420C USB printer.

I plan to have the DSL feed into Router and then it will connect to Printer. Since printer is Bulky i wanted to leave the DSL router and printer downstairs and then PC and Laptop to connect wirelessly from upstairs.

No, unfourtunatley, thats the point of a print server, to all intents and purposes!! :D

The rest sounds good. :thumbs: