PDA

View Full Version : OUTLOOK EXPRESS

20-03-2001, 10:49 PM
OUTLOOK EXPRESS IS CAUSING PROBLEMS WITH ANOTHER APPLICATION PROGRAM ON MY COMPUTER. I WOULD LIKE TO REMOVE IT AND GO BACK TO USING OUTLOOK 97. ARE THERE ANY PITFALLS TO BE AWARE OF, AND CAN THE ADDRESS BOOK, ETC., BE TRANSFERRED OR WILL I LOSE IT ?

21-03-2001, 11:25 PM
Hi Tom.

Firstly, I would point out to you that it is considered bad form to use upper case characters in communications. It can be interpreted as shouting and indicates that the writer is angry.

Now to the subject of your posting.

You haven't stated which version of Express that you are using, but I think the facility is available in most versions. What I am describing below is available in Version 5.

With Express open, click on the File menu , select Export, then Address Book (you can follow this procedure for your messages as well if you wish). In the dialog window which appears, select Text File and click on the Export button. You will then be prompted for a file name which this function will create. If you are not happy simply typing in the path and name of your file, use the Browse button to select a location (folder) in which to store it and to give the file a name. The browser will probably default to 'C:\My Documents', which is quite suitable for your purposes and easy to remember which is important:-) Give it a file name which is obvious and meaningful as it will be easier to find also. If you have gone into the browser enter the file name and click save. You will be returned to the earlier screen (titled CSV Export) with the filename field completed eg 'C:\My Documents\express_address.csv'. Click Next and we are on to the final portion of the 'export'.

The next screen which appears allows you to select the actual portions of each address record (record is the collective name for all the elements of one address) you wish to export. Unless you are fairly certain of what you are doing, check all of the items; that way you don't risk loosing something vital. Click finish and wait. It shouldn't take long, but this will depend upon how many records you have in your adddress book. Hopefully, you will eventually receive a message telling you that the process has completed successfully.

Close Express, and open Outlook 97. Once again, go to the File menu, this time select the Import and Export entry. In the dialog window titled Import and Export Wizard which now appears, select the option which reads 'Import from Schedule+ or another program or file.' Click Next. In the dialog which follows select Comma Seperated Value (Windows) and click Next. In the next dialog the first thing to do is to find that pesky file which we created in the export stage above. Use the browse button if you are not absolutely certain of the file name and its full path.

With the file found, and the name displaying in the File to Import field, look at the three options below it. If you are importing into a fresh Outlook 97 Address Book ie no addresses, then just accept the default. If you've already manually entered some into it, then I recommend using the default. If you do end up with a few extra addresses due to duplicates, you can always delete the ones you don't want. After all you are doing this to avoid all that typing so why risk loosing some which are not true duplicates. Anyway, choose whichever option is appropriate for your purposes, then click on Next. Select the destination folder in Outlook - Contacts is a good one. If you want to use a folder other than this ie one of your own choice, you must create it before you start this process. With the appropriate folder selected click - you guessed it - Next. Nearly done.

You only need to use the 'Map Custom Fields' button if you had customised fields in Express. Rather than go into details about that here, I will assume you don't have custom fields and we will let the wizard do the matching. If this is not the case then just make another posting to this message and I will follow up with some extra details.

Click on Finish. When the wizard has finished, check the results. If everything is Ok then procedd to remove Express (use the Add/Remove Software applet in Control Panel). If you are not happy with the result or where you have put them you can simply delete them all and re-run the import. Similarly, you could re-run the export from Express (if you have a problem with the data exported) and the re-run the import. However, don't remove Express until you are happy with the result.

The only problem with removing Express (but it doesn't sound like you have much choice anyway) that I can think of is that Outlook doesn't provide you with a news reader. If you are a home user and only needing Outlook for email, you may want to consider using Eudora or our own home-grown Pegasus as email clients.

If you have any questions or problems, either make a new comment on this thread or post reponse. Either way, I will monitor your original post over the next few days to make sure you are OK.

All the best.

Rowan