PDA

View Full Version : comp keeps restarting

izle
03-10-2007, 08:13 PM
hi im new @ this but......my computer keeps restarting over & over again before it gets to the desktop...can anyone help?

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2007, 08:44 PM
What version of Windows?

What did u install before it started crashing?

In the way of software or hardware? Anything?

So if its crashing, what are you using now? Another computer?

If you can boot into safe mode (on this one thats crashing), get hijackthis in my sig below, put it in its own folder, run it.

Then click on scan the system and save a log.

Copy and paste the log here, if u can.

stu161204
03-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Welcome to PressF1 izle :)

Your in good hands with Sir Speedy to help you :D

tamatama14
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
make sure that your M$ windblow Xp have update to service pack 2

stu161204
04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
make sure that your M$ windblow Xp have update to service pack 2

That does not help here

pctek
04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
If you can get into Windows in Safe Mode : System Properties - Advanced Tab - Startup & Recovery Settings - Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

Grimy
04-10-2007, 07:10 PM
And try a different powerboard or plug, just in case it's something simple.

steveroby
05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Try booting off a floppy. If It restarts still then probhably faulty caps,
faulty/dead fans

Else corrupt win.
Can you start in safe mode:command prompt (i doubt it by the sound of things)

Reload windows will probhably be the best option.

Pete O'Neil
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Try booting off a floppy. If It restarts still then probhably faulty caps,
faulty/dead fans

Else corrupt win.
Can you start in safe mode:command prompt (i doubt it by the sound of things)

Reload windows will probably be the best option.
Or it could be a faulty PSU or it could be faulty memory, or it could be spyware or a software related issue, or it could be a heat issue or it could be any number of other problems...............

Only motherboards of a certain era had serious issues with faulty caps, and seeing as the OP made no mention of system specs you cant make an informed decision!!

It could be that Windows is corrupt often because of a dying hard drive or faulty memory. The easiest way to eliminate the hard drive as the problem is try boot from a Linux live cd, if the problem persists then its not the hard drive at fault. Memtest is the best way of checking memory and can be run from a live cd so you don't have to worry about the system not booting Windows.

It could also be a heat issue, especially if the system has been sitting on the ground. Case on the grow tend to suck in a lot more dust than those raised off the ground. This dust can then clod airflow and fans and cause a system to overheat.

wainuitech
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Or it could be a faulty PSU or it could be faulty memory, or it could be spyware or a software related issue, or it could be a heat issue or it could be any number of other problems...............

Only motherboards of a certain era had serious issues with faulty caps, and seeing as the OP made no mention of system specs you cant make an informed decision!!

It could be that Windows is corrupt often because of a dying hard drive or faulty memory. The easiest way to eliminate the hard drive as the problem is try boot from a Linux live cd, if the problem persists then its not the hard drive at fault. Memtest is the best way of checking memory and can be run from a live cd so you don't have to worry about the system not booting Windows.

It could also be a heat issue, especially if the system has been sitting on the ground. Case on the grow tend to suck in a lot more dust than those raised off the ground. This dust can then clod airflow and fans and cause a system to overheat.

I'll second all that pete.

I also notice the person who started the post has not answered in a couple of days also ??

izle
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
sorry about that guys, im a real newby at this and couldn't find this thread...i'm using a laptop at the moment...

i'm not the only one that uses my comp, and it was recently formatted? (by someone who thought they new what they were doing...so before this happened there was practically nothing on it but windows xp and the basics...

after that my sound wouldn't work, and something was coming up about sound devices...so i thought i'd play around with it, (i thought what did i have to lose)...well i've assigned a device to the wrong thing and yep, a friend told me its clashing??
all it can get to is the recovery console without it restarting...she told me i might have to format my comp again? i don't even know how to do that...now i'm just thinking of taking it in next week

wainuitech
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Okay - Welcome back :D - If there is nothing on the PC and the system is damaged, then completely reinstalling the whole system back to new would be a good Idea. That way any faults will be gone and you can start again.

A couple of Questions .

Is it a name brand PC Eg. Compaq/HP/Dell or is it a "clone" that someone made up?

If its a name brand what is it Model Numbers etc.

What you will need to do is install XP again from fresh.
Its not hard as long as you have the XP CD (if doing it yourself) the Product key (most important) and drivers to make every thing work, Audio/Graphics/LAN etc.
What if any CD's do you have that came with the Computer?

izle
06-10-2007, 03:55 PM
thanks for the help
well i want to format it again, but wouldn't it still keep restarting?
the computer has no brand so is a clone...
the only cd i have is XP and the product keys...i've already tried reinstalling XP (without formating the whole thing) but everytime it gets to loading devices? part of the installation the computer restarts again...
im scared if i format it then install XP afresh it might still restart?

also i made a restore point before i done this...is there any way i can get back to that from the recovery console?
thanks for that

wainuitech
06-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Good on you for making that restore point :thumbs: - you can try to return the PC back to before the settings were changed by doing it in command prompt.

Run System Restore in Command Prompt

1. Boot into Safe mode with Command Prompt Keep Pressing F8 at start-up then with the arrow keys select Safe mode with Command prompt.

2. At the command prompt, type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter. Follow the instructions given to perform the System Restore process.

Load the correct drivers - See Below.

If you reinstall the whole system, unless there is a hardware problem and as long as the correct drivers are installed it should go fine.
Nothing to be scared about - no big hand is gonna come out and wack ya! (yet):D :waughh:

Drivers:

To locate the correct drivers, if you don't know the make and model of the Motherboard- with the PC off, remove the side of the case look on the motherboard and you will see someplace a make /model number.
Go to the manufactures site,locate ALL drivers, chipset/audio/graphic/LAN/ any others they May have and download/burn to a CD. Then install the chipset first, then others 1 at a time till finished. They should assign the right locations as long as the drivers are correct.

izle
06-10-2007, 07:33 PM
hey wainuitech thanks for the help...i couldn't get back to my restore point so i just reinstalled afresh xp...now back to my first problem...i've searched but still not sure about the drivers