PDA

View Full Version : Battery percentage incorrectly displayed

technicianxp
03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone

I have an IBM Thinkpad R32 laptop but I'm having some trouble with its battery. When it is fully charged, the computer indicates that the battery has only 1 hour of runtime remaining and therefore the percentage declines rapidly. However, once the battery hits 6% it doesn't go down any further for almost 30 minutes or more. Following this the decline begins again but the battery still lasts quite a while at 1%.

I've tried completely discharging and recharging the battery but it still did not help. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

wiselark
03-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Are you using Windows' own power management or a utility that came from the laptop maker?

In XP, Windows' power manager calibrates the battery life based on previous usage, but it can go out of sync. Switching off the standby/hibernate power saving features temporarily and letting the battery run down to completely flat is usually enough to recalibrate. Your BIOS may also have a battery calibration setting as well, although I have not tried it on my laptop.

If you are using a utility other than the Windows one, I'd suggest you disable it and try the above to see what Windows reports. In my experience the Windows power manager is often better than the laptop makers (in the case of Dell, it seems to be a marketing tool to encourage you to buy a new battery!).

wiselark
03-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I've tried completely discharging and recharging the battery but it still did not help.

Oops, sorry missed that. Have you switched off the power saving features however, as they may prevent a full discharge.