PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting Another Puter...Wanna Try Kubuntu This Time

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Questions:

Does kubuntu need to format the whole disk to it's own specs? Can it not use the Windows format? I have been in the format via kubuntu setup for over 2 hours and the little wheel still spins and when I click to cancel, it asks if I really want to...is that running OK or not?

I have put 98SE on this unit to ensure that it indeed works..it does. Can I install Win2000Pro after the kubuntu install and just delete the 98SE later?

Is there a better...idiot-proof L program for a neophyte to use? I won't use this after it's repaired...it goes to a really old guy..well, older than I am anyway.

What problems are there with dial-up and DSL/NIC setups with kubuntu? Is there anything like the XP wizard that's gonna just do it for itself? Both cards are already installed...will kubuntu find them?

It's a P-IV system, not much RAM...about 256 I think...sorry I didn't check that.

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I installed Ubuntu 7.04 a few months ago now, and installed / downloaded the files (about 320mb lol - on dialup) for Kubuntu.

I didnt find it that easy to use dialup on it.

Using anything besides the command prompt thing, it dialled and connected, BUT kept on disconnecting.

It was easier to use the LAN. (after everything was installed the LAN worked, I didnt have to do anything).

Didnt have DSL then to find out, whether DSL worked or not.

And no it cant use the windows format, its got its own way of formatting the hdd. When I had U/Kubuntu, I installed it on a separate hdd, (XP was on a different hdd).

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I installed Ubuntu 7.04 a few months ago now, and installed / downloaded the files (about 320mb lol - on dialup) for Kubuntu.

I didnt find it that easy to use dialup on it.

Using anything besides the command prompt thing, it dialled and connected, BUT kept on disconnecting.

It was easier to use the LAN. (after everything was installed the LAN worked, I didnt have to do anything).

Didnt have DSL then to find out, whether DSL worked or not.

And no it cant use the windows format, its got its own way of formatting the hdd. When I had U/Kubuntu, I installed it on a separate hdd, (XP was on a different hdd).

There was some chatter here (forget what post) that there's a new and better semi-XP looking L system.

Know of it? :stare:

Anyway...I have restarted the install with a cold boot...let's see what happens again.

Cho
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
you must install any version of windows first. and while doing that. make a windows partition, then leave some space for kubuntu, depending on how big the drive is a 50/50 split is all good. i got Kubuntu installed on an 8.7GB partition, my PC boots from the Kubuntu Partition but ive changed the menu so ubuntu loads by default. waste of space really lol.

any linux distro will be best and will most likely want to run on EXT3, cant run on NTFS but can run on fat32. Although will be most stable on EXT3 file system.

NIC's should all work fine, as will DSL as it just plugs into the NIC via the router. as you say its old and most old software is supported. Dial up is a random hit and miss affair. well not really, but if its a WinModem then it wont work, although some do have drivers for linux.

Most of the hardware is detected before installing. and the correct drivers found if any, sorry to say but there are not really any Windows style wizards for setting it up after the install.

During the install though,it will ask you to enter an hostname, which i think is the equivilent to the Windows computer name. also network setup is done during install, as with the normal stuff like timezone.

256meg ram should be fine for KDE, although if it gives problems try putting XFCE on there. as it uses a lot less resources. also known as Xubuntu.

Hope some of the info above helps

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
There was some chatter here (forget what post) that there's a new and better semi-XP looking L system.

Nope, havent heard of it yet.

Of Kubuntu you mean??

I see Kubuntu 7.10 beta is out now tho and the beta of Ubuntu 7.10 is also out.

Cho
03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
yeah. ima wait for Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Xubuntu 8.04 to come out. then request more DVD's :D

Why does it have to look like XP. looks dont mean anything. as the software is still the same, I have never liked Gnome untill Ubuntu. which i have grown used to now. everything is easy. and i got most of my help from the ubuntuforums

also, if you have not used linux before. or even if ya have. www.gnome-look.org or in your case it will be www.kde-look.org for awesome themes. there be even ones that make KDE / Gnome look like XP or even Vista. But there are far better ones available than that.

My Desktop (http://picasaweb.google.com/nzwies/Random/photo#5116667362199029458)

george12
03-10-2007, 10:08 AM
I run Kubuntu 7.04. I'm using Windows at the moment, as I never got the graphics card (9600SE) working. It's running on software graphics so it's like an XP machine without video card drivers....

Cho
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM
http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
&
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ2

for info on ATI drivers for linux.

&

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
&
http://www.linuxforums.org/multimedia/installing_nvidia_3d_drivers.html

for Nvidia Drivers :D

I was kinda lucky as my onboard video is supported by default.

george12
03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks, but I've done an enormous amount of research on the issue and after reading your linked articles I am no wiser :(

Many people have the same problem - their solutions are all different and none have worked for me.

This is with the fglrx driver.

Sherman
03-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Anyway...I have restarted the install with a cold boot...let's see what happens again.

PCLinuxOS 2007 is what you're looking for.

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 10:50 AM
After the last cold boot, kubuntu stops at 3%...now for the third time and won't go any further.

I am asking it to format the whole drive (40g) this last two times and it isn't any better.

Growing tired of this hang-up....gonna try ONE MORE time!

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 11:05 AM
It just keeps on sitting there and doing nothing..gonna try this now: PCLinuxOS 2007

Getting it dnldd on a diff machine and will try the .iso....

BBS

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Hmm I just reinstalled Kubuntu 7.04, (after dling the ISO and burning it to CD), on the spare hdd that's in the case.

And selected the brand of the hdd, (since the other hdd has XP on it), and it formatted fine, (formatted the whole 20 GB).

It picked up the dsl too, which is good.

You are booting from the Kubuntu cd right SJ?

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh, yeah...it just goes to step 5 and stops.....

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Anybody got a firewall for 98SE?

Speedy Gonzales
03-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I think this (http://www.netveda.com/consumer/safetynet.htm#system) is a firewall. It says it works with Windows 95 +

Dont know how good it is tho, just came across this site from another forum site.

racepics
03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I've had that issue with Kubuntu before - in the end I had to delete the partition/s on the hard drive manually and then let Kubuntu do its own partitions and formatting.
I suspect the kubuntu wizard has trouble with existing partitions if there are issues or weird formats.
Anyway, drop into advance mode and delete the existing partition/s you want overwritten.
Write the changes to disk
Then backup and let Kubuntu do its thing..

kjaada
03-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh, yeah...it just goes to step 5 and stops.....

The answers to these questions may help someone solve yr problem.
Does install hang at the start or end of stage 5
What is stage 5 supposed to do
As far as formatting I stand to be corrected but I think all formating issues are resolved before the install will start.
If you do get installed you will find PCLinuxOs is a cracker and is excellent for accessing and repairing problems on any other OS you have installed an yr box

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Step 5 is a formatting part...it just goes about 22% and stops.

I tried on a fdisk'd and after a 98SE install..no way!

I am going in circles here again..gonna try an ONLY Linux install now....

Myth
03-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Questions:
Does kubuntu need to format the whole disk to it's own specs? Can it not use the Windows format? I have been in the format via kubuntu setup for over 2 hours and the little wheel still spins and when I click to cancel, it asks if I really want to...is that running OK or not? You should be able to dictate how you want the disc partitioned

I have put 98SE on this unit to ensure that it indeed works..it does. Can I install Win2000Pro after the kubuntu install and just delete the 98SE later?Better to install Win 2K first

Is there a better...idiot-proof L program for a neophyte to use? I won't use this after it's repaired...it goes to a really old guy..well, older than I am anyway. Try Mepis, or maybe PCLinuxOS

What problems are there with dial-up and DSL/NIC setups with kubuntu? Is there anything like the XP wizard that's gonna just do it for itself? Both cards are already installed...will kubuntu find them? No problems with DSL/NIC cards that I'm aware of. Dialup on the other hand is a whole new ball game :p

It's a P-IV system, not much RAM...about 256 I think...sorry I didn't check that.[/QUOTE]Incidentally, the install shouldn't be stalling. See my other post to your other thread (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=599057&postcount=3)

SurferJoe46
03-10-2007, 06:41 PM
28 times and now I finally got it...