PDA

View Full Version : MediaGate MG350HD wireless Media Drive

supersi
02-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I have just bought a MG350HD and I have a wireless connection problem.
The Mediagate support is rubbish. I thought someone who uses PressF1 might be able to help.

Here's the situation....

I have a wireless network using an A/B/G wireless router which has a notebook (XP pro) and a Desktop (Vista Ultimate). Both PC's can see each other and share files/folders easily.
I want to connect the MG350HD to this wireless network and be able to transfer files to and from the 80GB IDE drive I have installed in the MG350HD.

The default gateway the router throws out is 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.000
I have assigned each PC's IP as 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3

To assign the IP for the MediaGate MG350HD there is a menu you pull up using the tv screen. Under 'wireless' it gives you the option to detect a wireless network and enter the password which I did.
It also gives you the option to assign the IP to the MediaGate MG350HD. Which I did (192.168.1.4 - subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
You have to disable DHCP in the MediaGate MG350HD menu which I did (do I have to in the router?).

After doing all this it still says 'no connection' when I try to connect the device.

Cho
02-10-2007, 10:13 PM
if you are assigning ip's manually why is DHCP even enabled on the router? i no longer worry about setting up anything manually. its easier if the router does it all for you.

try, using DHCP and getting ip's automatically for all devices. will most likely work then. my know how with wireless networks is limited. but from what i can tell the main difference is the security.

Chemical Ali
03-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi Supersi

I've had one of these devices for almost a year -- haven't experimented with it that much but hopefully I can give you some help.
I really like it in terms of it's ability to both stream media content as well as store content locally but it does have some frustrating shortcomings!

You're right the wireless/internet setup on these things can be a bit painful!

What kind of wireless encryption are you using -- WEP or WPA?

With my previous router (802.11b/g) I had nil problems connecting wirelessly via WEP encryption and I could stream music & photos wirelessly quite happily (movies & video were a no go) but with my brand new draft-N Wi-Fi router I wanted to use WPA encryption as sticking with WEP would mean that my wi-fi speed gains (through having a Draft-N router) would be stifled by using WEP. Try as I could though I just could not get the device to connect under WPA (spent fricking hours on it eh!!).
As a result I've just gone back to using an ethernet connection in the meantime!
I've done a fair bit of googling on the web without much success in the way of finding a clear & correct answer!

Some suggestions:
1: Upgrade to the latest firmware (1.1.7 from memory) via the website downloaded onto a USB drive which you then plug into the MediaGate.
2: Install the NDAS software onto ypur PC and "register" the MediaGate (codes are printed on the bottom of the device) which then allows you to view the hard drive installed in the MediaGate via My Computer on the PC allowing for file xfers that way. Alternatively you can hook up the MediaGate via USB to the PC.
3: the gateway IP you should be using on the MediaGate is the router's IP address (generally 192.168.0.1 or something similar).
4: There's also an option in the setup to check the MediaGate's ability to conenct ot the internet which may require somw adjustment/fixing on your part as well.

Cheers

Paul

Chemical Ali
03-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Hopefully some helpful links:
MediaGate USA MG-350 Support (http://www.mediagateusa.com/html/mg350supt.html) page
An interesting review (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2112844,00.asp)

supersi
04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your help. The wireless now connects.
I have 2 computers that the Mediagate can see.
The XP one streams media fine, the Vista 64 Ultimate will show the folders but when I select a file it just hangs. I think it's got something to do with sharing rights. I have manged to share individual files but trying to share the whole drive won't work.
I know there is some sort of master control but I can't find any help online.

Chemical Ali
05-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Is your wireless network protected by either WEP or WPA encryption keys. If you're using WPA can you tell me how you got it to work as I still can't!!

I've managed to share a whole drive by placing all my music folders (300+) within one folder and hsaring that -- it also pays to reboot both your PC and the mediagate after you set up the shared folder(s).