PDA

View Full Version : System Idle Process hogging CPU

baycam
02-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi there,

I have an Asus Laptop (a few yrs old) and recently I have noted that the fan seems to be going hard out virtually all the time.
When I do Ctrl/Alt/Delete and look at processes I see that
SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS is using up to 99% of the process power.

Is this right? Shoulod it be doing that or have I got a bug or something?

Tks

Lance
Hamilton

beeswax34
02-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Get Hijackthis and post a logfile back and lets see what Speedy has to say about it.

stu161204
02-10-2007, 08:20 PM
What does the Performance tab say? is the CPU usage at 99% - 100%

Cho
02-10-2007, 09:07 PM
system idle process usually uses a lot of the CPU when its idling. or it says it is but its not actually doing anything. background tasks and the like. could be a virus though. or something else. its only a problem if its say IE using 100% all the time and not giving any CPU time to any other progs. which aint fun.

So is your PC going really really slow. as in stuff takes forever to minimize and stuff?

Bozo
02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
System Idle Process running at 99% is fine, because it means your computer is practically doing nothing.

Fans running full-tit all the time could be to do with your BIOS settings.
You might have it set to run fans at full speed when it reaches a fairly low temperature.
Have a look around in your BIOS and see what the temperature settings etc are set at.

Cho: what the hell are you on about?

Cho
02-10-2007, 11:41 PM
i don't have a clue. which part. the first bit makes sense but, same as what you said, but you have worded yours a lot better. English never was my strong point.

last sentence is a bit whack i know. take of the last stuff and it is easier to read.

that post was made just after i got home from work, so not exactly rested and fully functioning at the time.

edit // um just re read the post and yeah. it makes no sense at all lol.

The_End_Of_Reality
03-10-2007, 05:38 AM
System idle process is fine, it effectivly is saying your CPU is running 99% free ...

Bozo
03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
i don't have a clue. which part. the first bit makes sense but, same as what you said, but you have worded yours a lot better. English never was my strong point.
last sentence is a bit whack i know. take of the last stuff and it is easier to read.
that post was made just after i got home from work, so not exactly rested and fully functioning at the time.
edit // um just re read the post and yeah. it makes no sense at all lol.
Its all good ae.
Just trying to work out what you where saying!
Keep up with the english - its a lot better than from some of the stuff I have seen previously.

baycam: Another reason your fans are running all the time, could also be the fact that your laptop is indeed running hot. Being older Im guessing that there is a lot of dust etc. inside it.
Does the laptop feel hot underneath while running?
If it is feeling rather hot, it could be worthwhile giving it a bit of a clean - on the inside that is.