PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Internet Service Provider - Who you with ?

globe
02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Did a search for this to see if it had been polled in the past but couldnt find one. So here goes. Who you with and are you happy with the overall package.

I know I have probably missed out a few so you can add those via a posting if you like.

winmacguy
02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Orcon for phone and BB. Happy so far.

motorbyclist
02-10-2007, 04:55 PM
ihug used to be good back when i signed up, but has pissed me off many a time since, and especially as of late.... that 18month period better be over by now :mad:

Speedy Gonzales
02-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Yup -Xnet, only been with them since last week, and so far so good.

HEAPS better than what I was paying for dialup @ Ihug.

And cheaper, for the speed!

george12
02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
TelstraClear cable and very happy.

Pinging paradise.net.nz [203.96.152.127] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 203.96.152.127: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=124
Reply from 203.96.152.127: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=124
Reply from 203.96.152.127: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=124

I get around 250KB/sec from most international servers, 500-1000KB/sec from most NZ servers and 750KB/sec+ from really good ones (like MS, Adobe etc) all over the world. Torrents always hit 600KB/sec+.

It's very reliable too, basically never drops out.

CYaBro
02-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Xnet for over a year now. Best ISP ever!
Have been with Xtra, ClearNet, ihug, Paradise and iGrin in the past.

Myth
02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Orcon, been with them 3 or 4 months... happy

stu161204
02-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Xtra (Go Large) - Happy at the moment :)

wainuitech
02-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Telstra Cable - Happy generally except over the last week its been a bit up and down, might just be my area.

george12
02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
The only times mine goes down is due to my super-flaky router which is an ancient PC running monowall.

bob_doe_nz
02-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Xnet for nearly a year now. Can't complain.

Previously with Quicksilver/Woosh. Changed over for a better deal.

excelsa
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Why did this poll not include "can't get broadband"?:badpc:

beeswax34
02-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Woosh... Not happy

Bad speeds, helpdesk takes forever to reach and just blame you and your equipment (guess Xtra trained them then) Changing to Xnet next year:thumbs:

Cho
02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
With Woosh Wireless, and am pretty happy considering that its wireless. pings are good for MMo gaming only though. and net browsing. no decent download speeds but my pc on all the time so that dont matter anyway.

For what we pay it could be better, and being weather dependent is not too bad. raining right now and signal is still good. although the aerial is on the TV antennae. so cant complain. well i could but its not going to solve anything. need either fibre which will never reach Invercargill. or ADSL2+ when its available.

so resonably happy. i only surf the net and install progs so dont need overy awesome pings / speeds

Metla
02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Joined Xnet about a week ago, some complications (my fault) they handled them expertly. Nothing worse then some moron who understands nothing trying to fob you off with crap and getting shirty....I'm talking to you XTRA.

Have used dozens of ISP's for me and various family members and freinds, The very worst was callplus (slingshot) the stupidity was so great that it was only just matched by their incompetence. Never answer the phone, just cut you off we a we are too busy...then dial tine again..&^^*&*^

Then we you do get through the damn retard on teh other end come up with gems like..."not my problem" and hang up.

The damn retards hooked up ADSL on my fathers second home line (which already had adsl supplied by Xnet) instead of his office line.

Different numbers
Different locations
different account numbers
Different everything

All I could figure is they entered his name into their computer and it brought up his prior home account with slingshot so they commishined it on that number.

I ended just breaking into abuse everytime one of them finally deemed themselves low enough to answer the phone.

Slingshot/Callplus....Everyone that works there deserves to burn in the same hell as all Xtra personal.Your scum. You don't deserve your wages, If you were beaten for your efforts you would be over paid. Have some respect and go work for a company that sucks a little less arse.

george12
02-10-2007, 08:50 PM
It's not incompetent employees fault. Everyone has the right to know nothing about computers. It's the idiots who hire them and expect them to somehow do ISP technical support when they probably can't even set up their own internet.

Bozo
02-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Xtra Go Large at the moment.
Completely pissed off with near Dial-up speeds. :groan: :angry :mad: :annoyed:

Changing to Orcon or Xnet this week. Just trying to decide which is better for me.

Cho
02-10-2007, 08:55 PM
It's not incompetent employees fault. Everyone has the right to know nothing about computers. It's the idiots who hire them and expect them to somehow do ISP technical support when they probably can't even set up their own internet.

haha yeah. i tried for about 4 months to get into a Helpdesk position with any ISP that would take me,. and none would. i got a certificate and everything, and just after i stopped trying i was told by an admin that they started hiring, 40yr old mothers who had good comm skills but knew nothing about the industry, suck big time. although they are all outsourced over seas now, which is pathetic as well.

Metla
02-10-2007, 09:17 PM

The mistakes being made to cause the issue were not made by the help desk.

And the arrogant ****s telling me it wasn't there problem were bouncing me back to helpdesk.

It is incompetence on every level, and they all share the stink.

wmoore
02-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm with Xnet. Very happy camper.

TideMan
02-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Telstra cable, happy.
I rang them about a Saturn TV problem the other day and we had to wait for things to boot up, so the tech checked the rest of my system while we waited. We have a TV, broadband, telephone deal. He found that my broadband modem had not been re-booted for more than 400 days. He did it for me from his end while he kept saying Wow, I've never seen that before...

Big John
02-10-2007, 10:23 PM
TelstraClear cable and very happy.

Pinging paradise.net.nz [203.96.152.127] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 203.96.152.127: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=124
Reply from 203.96.152.127: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=124

I get around 250KB/sec from most international servers, 500-1000KB/sec from most NZ servers and 750KB/sec+ from really good ones (like MS, Adobe etc) all over the world. Torrents always hit 600KB/sec+.

It's very reliable too, basically never drops out.

Not a very good test. You are basically connecting over a small loop. Try pinging a US site and see what it does to get real life results. That is unless you only ever get to paradise.

Hitech
02-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Telstra cable very happy would never go with anyone else again.

bevy121
02-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Been with ihug broadband (+phone) a couple of years, and was happy with the service and connection.
I say was, as the last few months seem to have gone downhill in both respects.
I'll be looking at Xnet myself if things dont improve with iHug.... C'mon Vodafone, you've only had it a while!

Digby
03-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Actrix - very happy

They have a daily cap mine is 700 gig.

Always get to talk to a techie very quickly one or two in queue.

Good poll idea !

Regards

Digby

Myth
03-10-2007, 06:29 AM
The very worst was callplus (slingshot) ...
Slingshot/Callplus....Everyone that works there deserves to burn in the same hell as all Xtra personal.Your scum. You don't deserve your wages, If you were beaten for your efforts you would be over paid. Have some respect and go work for a company that sucks a little less arse.There are a few people in this forum who will echo this sentiment.
I have been with 3 broadband providers; Xtra, Slingshot/Callplus, and Orcon. By far the worst was Slingshot/Callplus (speeds went bad and stayed there, customer service was non-existant). I was with them over 12 months, but noticed problems after 3 or 4... the rest of my time with them was to give them time to sort their sh*t out

autechre
03-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Damn... i'm gonna have to sign up... not that I could possibly download 700 gig in a day ;)

As for me, been on iHug a number of years and the speeds are good for me at the moment. Was slow a few weeks ago at peak times, but I haven't had any issues lately.

pctek
03-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Xnet at the shop for broadband and flat rate calls.
Was Xnet at home but as home has Ihug for phone I got that free 1GB with them to save paying 2 broadbands.

Landkline at shop is Ihug.

And all is happy. not using broadband at home much but haven't noticed any difference

porkster
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Actrix - very happy

Always get to talk to a techie very quickly one or two in queue.

Good poll idea !

Regards

Digby

LOL
How come your so special with a 700Gig daily cap, when every one else only gets 700Meg daily cap?

What happens when you go over your daily usage....?

george12
03-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Xnet at the shop for broadband and flat rate calls.
Was Xnet at home but as home has Ihug for phone I got that free 1GB with them to save paying 2 broadbands.

Landkline at shop is Ihug.

And all is happy. not using broadband at home much but haven't noticed any difference

Does that mean you got the issues sorted out then? That's good to hear.

The mistakes being made to cause the issue were not made by the help desk.

And the arrogant ****s telling me it wasn't there problem were bouncing me back to helpdesk.

It is incompetence on every level, and they all share the stink.

Oh, I was only talking about the help desk. They're all idiots, I used to be with them years ago for dial-up and they were still idiots then.

I think I'll just take back what I said :lol:

george12
03-10-2007, 10:05 AM
LOL
How come your so special with a 700Gig daily cap, when every one else only gets 700Meg daily cap?

What happens when you go over your daily usage....?

He has to pay $0.10 per KB when the rest of us pay $0.10 per MB.

AMDdude
03-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Xnet - wonderful! :P

The_End_Of_Reality
03-10-2007, 11:24 AM
LOL

What happens when you go over your daily usage....? It is 700MB, he got it wrong, there is no 700GB caps... no ISP would do that without a HUGE price...

Nermal
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
TelstraClear, it's excellent.

pctek
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Does that mean you got the issues sorted out then? That's good to hear.

Let me amend that.
VOIP was a washout.
So I signed up for Xnets flat rate $19.95 a month calls.
Or so I thought.

Today I notice calls are still being charged by Ihug (landline provider). I ring Xnet and query this.
She says she didn't set it up last week because I would have been charged half for the remaining few days of the month and it is setup from the 1st.

Hang on, calls are still going through Ihug....
Because apparently it takes a few days to get sorted out by Telecom, so should be swapped over by next Monday.

So I get charged from the 1st but am still being billed by Ihug until they get their act together.

She says she can give me 100 free minutes compensation.
What use is that? I'm paying $20 for a flat rate.....

I dunno, I think Xnet are good for broadband but phone is useless.

Trev
03-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Been with Actrix since April 2002 except from the 11th of Sept till 1st October 2007, was with Slingshot now back with Actrix. One of my biggest useages is playing Virtual Skipper 5 online every night for at least a couple of hours. I moved to Slingshot and joined there Pro 6gig plan which is max upload and download speed for $49-95. I was able to play VSK5 for about 4 nights and after that had bad connection problems. Every race I was getting disconnected and some nights couldn't even join the servers. Went back to Actrix yesterday and sailed VSK5 last night without a problem. I must admit all the time I was at Slingshot they were bending over backwards to help me solve my connection problems, but to no avail. I have heard that Slingshot and Telecom don't get on that well because of that outspoken Mrs Presley and Telecom try to disrupt there services.
:)

Cho
03-10-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah sounds like telecom. nDSL should fix a lot of these issues. since ISP's will be able to send out their own techs to fix the crap at the exchange instead of relying on telescum to get to it in their own time.

be nice if i could afford to get fibre to my house. im about 2 blocks from the exchange approx. but still cost a fortune.

Pourhommenz
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Well I work for the Yellow Pages Group and we get 15GB BB from Xtra for free and free landline through them too ... So I guess I can't complain about something I recieve for free can I .....

Cho
03-10-2007, 11:34 PM
pfft they give you a free service and have the nous to give you a cap. what this crap lol.

Greg
04-10-2007, 09:46 AM
pfft they give you a free service and have the nous to give you a cap. what this crap lol.Pfft x 2. Damn shame the Frog Canadians are in bed with Telecom. :yuck:

Enigmur
04-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Xnet and extremely satisfied.

plod
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Let me amend that.
VOIP was a washout.
So I signed up for Xnets flat rate $19.95 a month calls.
Or so I thought.

Today I notice calls are still being charged by Ihug (landline provider). I ring Xnet and query this.
She says she didn't set it up last week because I would have been charged half for the remaining few days of the month and it is setup from the 1st.

Hang on, calls are still going through Ihug....
Because apparently it takes a few days to get sorted out by Telecom, so should be swapped over by next Monday.

So I get charged from the 1st but am still being billed by Ihug until they get their act together.

She says she can give me 100 free minutes compensation.
What use is that? I'm paying $20 for a flat rate.....

I dunno, I think Xnet are good for broadband but phone is useless.

Have you looked into using skype with skypein?

Erayd
04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
VOIP was a washout.Have you tried iTalk (http://italk.co.nz/) (slingshot's VoIP service)? I've had it for months, and it's brilliant :D.

steelsporran
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Even after xtra's pathetic mailed apology I was on 20 a day. Just spent a very happy spam-free month with Xnet.

lakewoodlady
15-10-2007, 09:47 PM
World Exchange Communications, and I am very happy with them. Can't wait till they offer their NDSL in November!

Cho
15-10-2007, 10:50 PM
yeah can't wait till nDSL arrives. although being on Woosh is almost the same.

jason_f90
16-10-2007, 01:16 PM
On Xtra and extremely unhappy. I have SERIOUS ping issues (>400) during ping hours on all online games.

dirtbag
16-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Xnet, and very very happy, great speeds, good latency, and able to have interleaving off

motorbyclist
16-10-2007, 02:48 PM
my brother is looking for an isp now that he's flatting... he can't use ihug's free broadband cause they won't accept his credit rating even though it's flawless, so he wants to know what a good isp would be. he doesn't know much boutit, but he does want a 1gb cap and "full speed" (128k up will be fine, he's mostly browsing/chatting with the occasional download).

i suggested he look at xnet, they can sort him out for $35... so seeing as we're discussing ISPs, anyone got a better suggestion? (ie, anyone on a similar plan?)

Misty
16-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Xtra. Until recently I would probably have voted happy. However have voted unhappy because I have not been able to access webmail for weeks and they reply extremely slowly to my emails and cannot sort it out.
Misty :annoyed:

stu161204
16-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Xtra. Until recently I would probably have voted happy. However have voted unhappy because I have not been able to access webmail for weeks

You know that you now need to sign up to Yahoo!Xtra Bubbles to access your webmail?