PDA

View Full Version : bulk mail on YahooXtra

poppy
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Has anyone else had this problem. I use Outlook Express (and Mailwasher) and usually all is fine. But on Xtra Webmail I discovered (when accessing from Aust)that I am getting dozens of bulk mail every day. I have to go through them all as there is bound to be a genuine one that is meant for me and not junk so cannot select all and delete all. What a pest this is. Have tried to contact Xtra help desk to no avail.

linw
02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
There is nothing you or the Help Desk can do about it except change email address and email provider. Is your address 'out there' i.e. known on forums etc? (Presumably it is on at least this forum!).

We have an account here on Gmail that is not 'out there'. It gets virtually no spam. My Gmail address is 'known' and it gets spam but the Gmail filters are excellent. Like you, I still scan for false positives but they are rare and the task is manageable.

So, in a nutshell, if you don't want to trust the filters, you have to find a way of minimising the spam in the first place e.g sheltered Gmail address (use another one for forums etc). If your address is already being hit hard, there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop the flow.

FoxyMX
03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Has anyone else had this problem.

No. But then I don't use Xtra.

Nor do I get a lot of spam despite all spam filters being disabled. I do, however, have a couple of email accounts forward my emails to a Gmail account which does a splendid job of filtering out the bit of junk that they do receive. I check a couple of times a month to be certain that legitimate mail isn't going into the spam box but it very rarely is. The rest of my many accounts just don't get spam.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Agent_24
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Goto the xtra yahoo webmail and enable the spam filter, and yeah you probably will have to go through them all anyway because the yahoo spam filter is crap compared to the xtra one

Or, maybe it just needs to learn what emails are good and what aren't.

B.M.
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Has anyone else had this problem. I use Outlook Express (and Mailwasher) and usually all is fine. But on Xtra Webmail I discovered (when accessing from Aust)that I am getting dozens of bulk mail every day. I have to go through them all as there is bound to be a genuine one that is meant for me and not junk so cannot select all and delete all. What a pest this is. Have tried to contact Xtra help desk to no avail.

Yep it’s a nightmare.

Ever since this Yahoo Bubble fiasco I’ve been bombed off the planet with spam. Previously I could count on one hand how many spam posts I got in a month but now I think they’ve directed the lot to me. Grrrrrrr. Anyway, that will all change next week when my 12 month contract expires with them. A mate, also with Xtra, was having problems and he tells me Xtra’s “Helpline” is now handled in Malaysia somewhere.
Only problem was they couldn’t understand him and he couldn’t understand them. No speaka da lingo! Real helpful!
Anyone else encountered this? I’ve never been able to get anyone. He must be more patient than me. :D

Agent_24
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I've just disabled the yahoo spam guard and gone back to using mailwasher

FoxyMX
03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I've just disabled the yahoo spam guard and gone back to using mailwasher

I was just wondering whether the "bulk mail" can actually be configured so that it all downloads into your inbox. From poppy's query it sounds like he (or she) is not getting the bulk mail downloaded and from memory, when Xtra introduced YahooBubble, other people had the same issue. They were also having legitimate mail going into their "bulk mail" without them realising it until they logged into YahooBubble.

So, can someone please confirm for me that Xtra customers can elect to have all mail - spam, bulk mail and all - downloaded into their email client?

Agent_24
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Well I've got the spam/bulk mail turned off and everything just goes to my inbox, and I delete all the spam with mailwasher.

So yeah, it works for me, and I've got the new yahooxtra pro bubbly mail

Cho
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM
i use Orcon for my mail services. have 2 accounts there. one business account for online shopping and one gaming account for signing up to forums and games. and neither of them get spam at all. its great. mailwasher + turning off the junk folder is a good idea, as works well although dont get spam apart from my hotmail email which i dont even check anymore.

so no have not had that problem. useless post i know, but, orcon give you free lifetime email addy's and as far as i know xtra give you one till you change isp's