PDA

View Full Version : The mouse and me

JJJJJ
29-09-2007, 06:54 AM
This is serious, so no funny answers please.
For quite a while I have been plagued with inability to keep my finger off my right mouse button. A left click often results in a click on both. The results can be disasterous.
I am looking for a mouse with the right button positioned somewhere where it can not be accidently clicked. Ideally it would help if both buttons where positioned so that they could only be used with the index finger. Does such a thing exist?
Currently I have a Logitek Laser G5. A beautifull mouse, but with the right button exactly where I rest my third finger.
Any useful advice would be very welcome.

Myth
29-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Unable to help per-se, but just wondering... could mouse buttons be re-mapped? I know that some mice have [at least] 5 buttons (if you include the clickable scroll wheel as a button). Is it possible to remap the buttons so that you can disable the normal right click button, and set (for instance) the button on the right side of the mouse (that rests under the fourth finger) to become the right click?

Edit: something like this (http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm) maybe?

The_End_Of_Reality
29-09-2007, 07:52 AM
I know that feeling, some times I do that with my G7 when I am just sitting there resting my third finger on the button and it clicks, what I do know is I rest my third finger right beside the mouse wheel so it is not on the button.

dugimodo
29-09-2007, 09:47 AM
rempping is a good suggestion, the logitech software for you mouse should allow it, you could for example make the wheel act as the right button, never accidentally click down on the wheel.

edit, sorry my bad. it only allows you to swap left & right

Deane F
29-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Can you disable the right mouse button completely with the software?

Then install "mouse gestures" so that you have to make a movement with the mouse to get right mouse button? I never played around with gestures apps - and it is a bit of a workaround - but it might be a workable one.

Cho
29-09-2007, 10:46 AM
are those mice quite wide? as my mouse is fine. only use 2 fingers on the mouse anyway. thumb and 3rd are to hold the mouse in hand. don't have any problems with accidental right clicking. mouse gestures might work. although probably a real pain in the ass to work with.

Shortcircuit
29-09-2007, 09:24 PM
From out left field... I have a Logitech MX5000 mousie and almost right click when I get twitchy from too much caffeine, so... don't laugh... (god, I'm sounding like beeetle!)... how about getting one of those black foam sticky pads from the $2 shop they have for stopping scuffing... stick it to the top of the mouse just under where the joint of your clickie finger rests, then you will have to actually bend your finger to right click.

Could be worth a try as that mouse is just too good to chuck out ;)

godfather
29-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I suspect that mouse surgery may be the best option, as all "available" buttons use PC mounted switches.

Cutting PC tracks and re-wiring to another out-of-the-way button would be a permanent fix, where mapping is not permitted.

I am too far away to help Jack, but I would do it for you if I were closer.

pctek
29-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Hmmm, I have an MX518 and my finger - now I've paid attention, rests at the side, so it won't click, its on the edge.
Positioning of fingers maybe?