PDA

View Full Version : Acronis True Image help?

minster
26-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I have True image installed on my pc, have made a boot cd and a full copy of my complete C drive which is on an external hdd.
My problem is that I do not understand the acronis help instructions on how I would be able to use the back up copy I have on external.
If I was to format my C drive, at what point do you use the acronis back up?
Surely if C drive was wiped clean, then there would be nothing installed to recognise my external drive?
Can anyone give step by step directions please?
Your help is much appreciated :)

bk T
26-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Boot up your computer from your Acronis Boot CD, select Acronis True Image, Restore and then point to your external HDD where your backup files are stored as your Source. Just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. It should be quite straight forward although I haven't done it before.

wainuitech
26-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Boot up your computer from your Acronis Boot CD, select Acronis True Image, Restore and then point to your external HDD where your backup files are stored as your Source. Just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. It should be quite straight forward although I haven't done it before.

Thats about all there is to do.

As long as it is a full backup and not just data then if you wiped your drive and reloaded the ???.tib image ( 1 single large file) your hard drive will be returned to the exact same state as when the Image was made.

If you had to replace a major part though, like a Motherboard, while the Image would transfer to your drive it may not work. When you make a complete image it takes the drivers- programs - data - the lot.

To do that on different hardware you would need true image workstation with universal restore.

minster
26-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks to you both:)

I'm a bit of a dummie so set me straight here please?
I use WinXP cd to format/wipe my existing C drive and then stop it before it reinstalls Windows, this is the point that I use my boot cd?

Would rather ask a dumb question than cock up my system:)

bk T
26-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks to you both:)

I'm a bit of a dummie so set me straight here please?
I use WinXP cd to format/wipe my existing C drive and then stop it before it reinstalls Windows, this is the point that I use my boot cd?

Would rather ask a dumb question than cock up my system:)

Can you just boot from your Acronis Boot CD to boot up your computer? I think it doesn't really matter whether you've reinstalled Windows or not.

wainuitech
26-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Can you just boot from your Acronis Boot CD to boot up your computer? I think it doesn't really matter whether you've reinstalled Windows or not.

Correct - if a hard Drive is empty it will load the Image back - If the hard Drive as any data /OS it will ask to delete the current Partition(s) yes or No. (normally yes if reinstalling) Then wipe the drive and replace your data / OS.
It also gives you the choice of resizing the drive in case you have installed a different size drive in the PC.

BEFORE you do that though - If able - would unplug your current Hard Drive and then I would attach another drive in its place that you can wipe and test to make sure the Image actually worked.

If for some reason the Image didn't work right its better to find out now and make a new one than find out when its to late.

minster
26-09-2007, 02:30 PM

WindowsXP is already there but if I am installing my backup copy then I will need to remove the existing version first .... won't I?

My reason for reformatting would only be to get a cleaner computer:)

pctek
26-09-2007, 02:48 PM
WindowsXP is already there but if I am installing my backup copy then I will need to remove the existing version first .... won't I?

No.

Think of your Acronis Image as a photocopy of your hard drive.

You Restore the image to the drive - regardless of whether or not it is formatted and empty or full.
It overwrites it anyway, and replaces it with the contents of your image.

Just be aware that it might not read your USB drive though. But you can always connect it up as a slave drive in the computer and get the image off it that way.

Acronis also has a Recovery Partition feature - you can create on (small) on the drive and store your image there - so you get the Press F12 or something on boot option - like Compaqs have,
Assuming it works of course......I had hassles with Acronis trying that..............

wainuitech
26-09-2007, 03:03 PM

My reason for reformatting would only be to get a cleaner computer:)

If you loaded a Image back on to get a cleaner Computer remember it will put the OS/Programs and any data from the EXACT time you made the Image.

As Pctek said a "photocopy of your hard drive" Add to that > at the time.

If you made an Image lets say at the beginning of the October, and then in November you decide to run the Image- your hard drive would be exactly as it was in October - so any Email / Data / programs installed or created from between October to November would not be there.

Backing up data on a daily / weekly when ever basis is not the same as creating an Image. So unless you also saved any new data then its gone.

Regarding not reading a USB drive - had that happen once, but usually when loading/booting from the recovery CD it will detect it - just takes a few moments sometimes.

Thats why I mentioned before - test on a spare drive - better to find out now its got problems than when you actually need it. Backups are only any good if they work.

minster
26-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Thank you!
Thats the answer I needed, much appreciated:)

I may need another thread to find out how to connect my 320gb usb external as a slave drive now?

wainuitech
26-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Thank you!
Thats the answer I needed, much appreciated:)

I may need another thread to find out how to connect my 320gb usb external as a slave drive now?

Simply plug in the External USB enclosure to a USB port and Bingo! your drive should show up as another driver under "My Computer"

I think what Pctek was referring to is if the Hard Drive was not in the USB enclosure and plugged into the IDE ribbon as a slave drive.
To do that depending on what make of drive it is - there will be whats called a "Jumper" - you either change its location as per the diagram on the drive or in the case of it being a seagte drive just remove the jumper.

This page Here (http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_SettingHardDriveJumpers.htm) Shows the settings for a Western Digital HD - Your drive may be different depending on its make/model.

Fishb8
30-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a USB 320 Gb hard drive where I save my back-up .tib "photocopies.
I have set my bios to recognise a USB device, no need to connect as a slave.

Try this first. Make an Acronis image and save it to your USB HD. Make an Acronis boot disc. Reboot with Acronis boot disc in place and follow instructions. Go to Restore Image and you should be able to see your USB HD.

You can then choose to do whatever you want; remove disc and reboot or go ahead with the Image restoration. If you can't see your USB Hd, the check with your bios or connect as slave. How old is your motherboard?

I take it you've previously saved images while your XP has been working well. As already mentioned, if you make an image now, you'll only have the exact copy so no benefit in doing a restoration. Maybe do a re-install of your XP, load your wanted programs and then make an image of a clean OS. You can back-up various files such as documents, pictures, email, music via Acronis and resore the bits you need, following a clean re-install.

There is an Acronis forum:-
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

minster
01-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I have saved images of all 3 of my pc's done as soon as they were all reformatted and with their individual programs/software loaded, all running sweet as!
The questions I am asking are for the future time when for whatever reason I need to reformat and will only need to load from Acronis and do updates instead of spending hours loading software and tweeking settings to match my preferences.
I have made a note of the excellent suggestions made by F1 members and again say thank you to all:)

(Setting the bios to recognise usb hdd is out of my current expertise but sounds like an excellent idea?)