PDA

View Full Version : Confused. (Again)

JJJJJ
26-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Could someone tell me , what is the difference between "ghosting " a disk and a simple dvd backup or disk copy.
Thanks,
Jack

SolMiester
26-09-2007, 12:58 PM
An image is 1 file containing information of every file on the hard drive or partition.

A dvd backup such as a backup contained on a dvd is 1 file containing every file compressed down to 1 file.

A disk copy is a duplicate of all the files and should be exactly the same file numbers and sizes.

Sweep
26-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi,

An image is a one to one copy of one hard drive or partition to another hard drive or partition. Like Ghosting. Call it a clone of a drive or partition if you will.

A backup uses a format which is entirely different.

Now this means it sort of depends on how much data you wish to restore in the event of a hard drive failure. It also depends on the amount of time you have and how critical a failure can be.

If you use the Windows XP backup which is not installed by default BTW then you will have to install Windows XP on a new hard drive before you have access to the backup program which can restore the data from the media back to the new hard drive.

Say you have two 200 gig hard drives and the one you boot from is C: and the other is D: Now this assumes no other partitons.

So you clone C: to D: Assuming C: (being 200 Gig) dies then you simply unplug C: and boot off D:

I would also advise doing a copy on to other media anyway. Please note that using a dual layer DVD drive you will need slightly over 20 DVDs. Do not forget to verify.

Personally I do not use MSBackup as the file format.

johnd
26-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Ghosting is normally used for deploying multiple copies of the same setup. You cannot access individual files from a ghosted image like you can from a backup. You can backup anything from one file to multiple partitions/drives. The minimum you can ghost is a whole partition.

Terry Porritt
27-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Have to be pedantic here, there is no specific meaning to the word ghosting.

Different people use the word in different ways as is evident from some of the confusions between making an image file of a disk or partition, and a byte by byte copy or clone of a disk or partition to another.

'Ghosting' comes from the name of the program GHOST...General Hardware Oriented Software Transfer.... produced by Binary Research (a New Zealand company) and sold to Symantec in 1998.

SolMiester
27-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Ghosting is normally used for deploying multiple copies of the same setup. You cannot access individual files from a ghosted image like you can from a backup. You can backup anything from one file to multiple partitions/drives. The minimum you can ghost is a whole partition.

Sorry john, but you can actually browse a ghost image for a particular file. The program is ghost explorer.

SolMiester
27-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Interesting that 3 other people had to put there post on after the question had already been answered though!

beeswax34
27-09-2007, 06:04 PM
SO other people can't post their own answers just because someone else think they have done it themselves? Interesting...

Sweep
27-09-2007, 07:12 PM
SO other people can't post their own answers just because someone else think they have done it themselves? Interesting...

And of course JJJJJ (Jack) has not posted in this thread since the original post. Was the query answered to the satisfaction of Jack?

See here:-
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=82020&highlight=resolved

A disk is a disk is a disk or maybe a disc even.

Are we talking about a hard disk or partition,logical drive within a partition, Extended partition, floppy, external, USB thumb, CD or a clone of a DVD movie or game etc.

For me, I thought I would elaborate to elucidate more information. That is why I posted.

Terry Porritt has it right. The english language changes day by day.

The generic term for a ballpoint pen was Biro. The same for a Hoover for a vacuam cleaner. "I am just off to Hoover my carpet." I say and go do it with my different make of cleaner.

Personally I have no idea what JJJJJ wishes to do.

Terry Porritt
27-09-2007, 10:06 PM
..The generic term for a ballpoint pen was Biro. The same for a Hoover for a vacuum cleaner. "I am just off to Hoover my carpet." I say and go do it with my different make of cleaner........

:) :)
When we arrived in NZ thirty years ago and stayed in a motel, the cleaner who came in said she was going to "Lux" the floor.

In those days the generic vacuum cleaner was the cylinder Electrolux, they had a factory here I think, so under import licensing rules, other makes were virtually excluded.
Even the upright Electrolux we brought with us was an oddity, and spares had to be imported.

Sweep
27-09-2007, 11:17 PM
:) :)
When we arrived in NZ thirty years ago and stayed in a motel, the cleaner who came in said she was going to "Lux" the floor.

In those days the generic vacuum cleaner was the cylinder Electrolux, they had a factory here I think, so under import licensing rules, other makes were virtually excluded.
Even the upright Electrolux we brought with us was an oddity, and spares had to be imported.

Dead right!

When I started reading your quote above my first thought was Lux soap.
Go figure. :-)

Thinks about the idea of the cleaner ripping up the whole carpet and putting this into a copper along with with some Lux flakes. Waits for people to ask how can you put a carpet into a police person?

http://www.redgumsoaps.com.au/Unilever.52.0.html

Brought up memories.

Almost sure that this show was sponsored by Unilever:-
http://www.throng.co.nz/its-in-the-bag-tvnz-6/its-in-the-bag-returing-to-nz-television

And it might be back, or not.

If Jack can come back then we, collectively, may answer the questions this person has.

JJJJJ
28-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Interesting replies.
My query was because I have been having software problems with adsl connections. It necessatated a complete re-install of windows and flight simulator.
I was looking for a way to copy both on to a backup disk for the next time something goes wrong.
Problem is they are in different drives, on different disks. But also I have two other drives with programs that also put bits and pieces into windows.
And that means , of course, more programs to be reinstalled.
The solution is to replace several "system 32" files. Files without names, just numbers.
So I was thinking of just backing up the system 32 directory,and replacing it when necessary. Doesn't realy work though.
That is the reason I have been strangely silent for a couple of days. A full re-install of everything.
But now it' all done and everything is running faster. No longer getting "can't find" messages.
Now I'm toying with the idea of getting two more hard disks and copying everything to them. When things go wrong again, just swap the disks.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my original query.

SolMiester
28-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Ah so, there is more to being helpful in your wish to post then?! Ego anyone!

If the poster was still confused, I'd say go for it, however conflicting information, is only going to confuse him more..:2cents:

JJJJJ
28-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Did anyone manage to work out what B's34 was talking about.
I'm even more confused.