PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Server

lflashl
23-09-2007, 04:07 PM
hey there newbie around theses parts, just wishing to know if anyone is using windows home server, ive beening useing it for about a week now, (had it for 2 months on DVD but no machine to use it on. anyway, just wish what people think of is and if you think anything better could be added.

wainuitech
23-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome to PressF1

Windows home Server - Been using it since it became available in Beta.

I find it very good - Does a daily back up of the any networked PC at a time you set. It has saved my bacon a few weeks back- had a HD fail and in less than 30 minutes had the who system/data and programs back on a new drive as if nothing had happened.

Sure many free OS's or XP will also do a good job at central storage- but to set up the remote access from another PC in another part of the world/country and full PC data backup with idiot proof reinstalls in the event of a failure, that needs some knowledge and additional software.

To reinstall you put in the recovery CD - it looks for WHS - you type in the Admin password you created - it asks what PC you want to back up- you select your PC and click OK. EASY!

The remote access to files from almost any PC in the world is almost Idiot proof (almost) and easily available from a web browsser with out having to know how to setup remote access.
Desktop access is also easy as long as you have XP Pro or Vista Business and above (don't know if Pre works as I only run Ulitimate).

For its price and easy setup for the average Home user with all the functions it has its well worth it in my Opinion.

lflashl
23-09-2007, 04:51 PM
yea im working on the livenode thing cant connected for some reason, maybe someting to do with my router or windows firewall.

somebody
23-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I use it, and find it excellent. The automated backup feature is incredibly fast, and I don't have to worry about doing it manually.

I also use the remote access feature to RDesktop into my home PC from work occasionally, to run a program or whatever as I need it. Overally very happy with WHS.

lflashl
23-09-2007, 04:55 PM
yes i very happy with WHS has to one of the best product M$ has brought in some time and there more they can do with this, maybe record tvshows, i read that you cant buy is as it need to buy with machine?

somebody
23-09-2007, 04:59 PM
You can buy the WHS software separately from retailers such as Ascent and Playtech - around NZ$300. You don't have to buy it preinstalled.

The_End_Of_Reality
23-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I am running the RC version ATM and I am having some issues...

it often says I have 0 days to register (which I have registered)

It seems to think the primary HDD failing is worth a "Your network is at risk" status where as the 0 days to register is "critical" :illogical

I am now having issues where drivers are not loading on startup...

But other than that is seems fine

lflashl
23-09-2007, 05:01 PM
yea i have the 0 days to register but if you run "winver" on your server if will tell you how many days you have lefted and sometimes fix that issue, as for drivers alls it good, just installed win2k or winserver3k drivers and no problems.

lflashl
23-09-2007, 05:12 PM
You can buy the WHS software separately from retailers such as Ascent and Playtech - around NZ$300. You don't have to buy it preinstalled.

really, call, i think ill look into that after i get my 2 500gig hard drives, ive got 2 all ready after that i was thinkin of installing a second network card, would that make my network run alot faster, it good now but with 3 pc running of is i would like to see backup options there.

somebody
23-09-2007, 05:14 PM
really, call, i think ill look into that after i get my 2 500gig hard drives, ive got 2 all ready after that i was thinkin of installing a second network card, would that make my network run alot faster, it good now but with 3 pc running of is i would like to see backup options there.

Does WHS support mutiple network cards? I never thought it did.

lflashl
23-09-2007, 05:26 PM
dont know i look into it and get back, hope it does, it jsut win2k3 server with some updates, so i think it should. can you tell why ascent selling WHS when it has not been released?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=9357778

somebody
23-09-2007, 06:06 PM
It has been released in New Zealand (several weeks ago actually).

wainuitech
23-09-2007, 06:28 PM
It has been released in New Zealand (several weeks ago actually).

Released 17 August - I brought 6 copies that day. OEM

wainuitech
23-09-2007, 06:33 PM
yea im working on the livenode thing cant connected for some reason, maybe someting to do with my router or windows firewall.

You have to make sure the following ports are open in the router:

Port 80 is standard http
Port 443 is secure http (https) using secure socket layer connection (SSL)
Port 4125 is for the remote desktop connection

Also go in and reregister from yourusername.livenode.com to yourusername.homeserver.com

Live node was only for testing the Beta's it will be shut down some time, if you have a livenode user name its is automatically held for .homeserver.

So https://username.homeserver.com Note https:

lflashl
23-09-2007, 06:39 PM
yea done all of that but when i try from my home comptuer into my WHS doesnt work, so ill try it 2morrow when im at tech

wainuitech
23-09-2007, 07:00 PM
yea done all of that but when i try from my home comptuer into my WHS doesnt work, so ill try it 2morrow when im at tech

Make sure you try with IE. Some browsers wont work correctly - do how far do you get before it stops?

lflashl
23-09-2007, 07:10 PM
i get "The page cannot be displayed", but if i do it from my pc on the lan
"192.168.1.100" it works fine so i think it happen to be my router. i set up virtual server port forwarding to the server and that works fine, i have utorrent ports pointing to also and it works fine, so my best guess is that it doesnt like me trying from the network.

somebody
23-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Released 17 August - I brought 6 copies that day. OEM

SIX copies?? Why?

lflashl
23-09-2007, 08:58 PM
yea dam! thats a bit high.

somebody
23-09-2007, 09:11 PM
i get "The page cannot be displayed", but if i do it from my pc on the lan
"192.168.1.100" it works fine so i think it happen to be my router. i set up virtual server port forwarding to the server and that works fine, i have utorrent ports pointing to also and it works fine, so my best guess is that it doesnt like me trying from the network.

Try offsite or via a web proxy. Some routers don't like accessing domains which point back to within the network - I have that issue too, but the domain works fine from outside the network.

wainuitech
23-09-2007, 09:13 PM
SIX copies?? Why?

Errrrr I run a Computer Business - 1 copy for myself & 5 for customers
(pre ordered).

lflashl
23-09-2007, 09:22 PM
yea ill try 2morrow from tech.

somebody
23-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Errrrr I run a Computer Business - 1 copy for myself & 5 for customers
(pre ordered).

Ah right...

lflashl
24-09-2007, 02:20 PM
yea ill try 2morrow from tech.
tryed from home and all work great. would be nice to have some plugins for this.

The_End_Of_Reality
24-09-2007, 03:12 PM
tryed from home and all work great. would be nice to have some plugins for this. Plugins to do what?

lflashl
24-09-2007, 03:15 PM
can anyone point me towards a good anti virus server, i wish to have one anti virus download updates and share them out to the rest of the LAN, if i could work out how to download avg free updates into a folder with a batch file or script that would be great!!

lflashl
24-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Plugins to do what?

looking for something to do with, anti virus server, and don't know yet, i looking around to see whats there.

somebody
24-09-2007, 04:03 PM
There's the "Code2Fame" challenge which was to have developers come up with plugins for WHS. I'm not too sure what's happend to it, but it might be worth seeing what you can dig up about it.

CYaBro
24-09-2007, 04:10 PM
looking for something to do with, anti virus server, and don't know yet, i looking around to see whats there.

I want TV Tuner support plugin so you don't need to have a seperate Media PC.
There is the TVServer from MediaPortal but that is still in Beta.

For you AV software to do what you want (server downloads updates and workstations get updates from your server) you would need to buy it. Pretty sure there are no free versions that would support this.
I use NOD32 with LAN update at home on my server and it works great.

Chemical Ali
24-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Sorry I'm late to the thread on this topic!

I've been using Windows Home Server (WHS) since it's beta 2 release back in March/April and I find it to be excellent overall.
I'm still using the RC version and will buy the final retail version from Ascent once my RC version license expires in late Dec.
Like someone else posted earlier in this thread I frequently get the (sys) volume hard drive is failing message but I jst run the drive repair wizard and it's all good again! I'm presuming it's just a bug in the RC software so will be interested to see if it's still occurring once I install and use the RTM version.

For some excellent WHS information and plug-ins go to:
http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/

It's a fantastic informational resource!

The official WHS blog is at:
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/

SolMiester
25-09-2007, 08:05 AM
The remote access to files from almost any PC in the world is almost Idiot proof (almost) and easily available from a web browsser with out having to know how to setup remote access.

I am still using a beta, actually, I better check when it runs out!?...anyway, the remote access can be difficult to set up, port forwarding on the router is required and with the beta, no instruction on which ports to use were given & and DDNS also....

Enigmur
25-09-2007, 08:29 AM
I looked at WHS for a while, I thought it would be cool to have it on a mini-ITX pc, in one of the square mini-ITX cases you can get a few hard drives in these. I guess I decided it wasnt really what I needed, but if you have 2-3 PCs, I think its a great idea.

somebody
25-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I am still using a beta, actually, I better check when it runs out!?...anyway, the remote access can be difficult to set up, port forwarding on the router is required and with the beta, no instruction on which ports to use were given & and DDNS also....

Port 80 and 443 for the standard web access. 4125 if you want remote desktop.

wainuitech
25-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Yeah Sol- the Beta was not to clear - but thats Beta's for ya! RC1 was better as it auto configured most routers - But there was also a lot of discussion on the WHS Forum regarding port forwarding. If you do a search on Google for "Ports to open WHS" there are several instant answers.

OEM - or RTM - what ever you like to call it - when i was testing the new version it reconfigured several routers automatically, and on one that it didn't there was a help pop up giving advice on what to do.

If you are using Beta's and not the RC then the time is very nearly up I think. RC1 expires on sometime in December or Jan - can't remember exactly.

The comment I meant regarding remote access to the server from any browser was actual access once its going. The average home user doesn't know how to setup remote access on a home PC. With WHS (as you know:thumbs:) Open a browser IE works best - as some others wont show the networked PC's. type in your address https://yourusername.homeserver.com - you get a log in page, enter the user name and password created and your in. Couldn't be much easier.:)

Will be interesting to see how well it sells when places like HP finally get it into the shops - if ever.

somebody
25-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Marketed correctly, this product has a huge potential to really take off.

wainuitech
25-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Marketed correctly, this product has a huge potential to really take off.

Marketed Correctly- Key words:thumbs:

Metla
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Greetings people of planet PressF1, I am visitor from NZ herald.

stu161204
03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Greetings people of planet PressF1, I am visitor from NZ herald.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10485023 ;) (has a link to PressF1!! :D)

lflashl
03-01-2008, 12:38 AM
ive just about finish building my new WHServer, still got the RC1 version, but what i want to know is can i install the RC1 now and later install the Retail version with out reinstalling, like upgrading.

Chemical Ali
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I doubt that your RC1 software will even be installable now as it was due to expire late-Decemebr 2007 but if you can install it then yes, you are able to "upgrade" to the final retail version without having to do a complete re-install/reformat.

somebody
05-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Be aware that the proper 120-day trial version of RTM is not "upgradable". I requested a copy of it from Microsoft, but am yet to actually try it out yet.