PDA

View Full Version : Word Password

Happy Harry
22-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi one and all
The usual story, a disgruntled (are there gruntled) employee has left my customers business and is not prepared to give the employer the password to 3 protected Word documents.
We suspect that all 3 are the same.
I have search on this forum and Googled for password revealers.
There are heaps of them, but I have never had to use these before.
Does anyone out there have any experience/recommend any of the ones available.
If so, are there some better than others and what sort of time are we looking at to hopefully reveal the password.
The documents hold business sensitive user names & passwords used to access software and sites used for the day to day running .
We can get around this eventually but this will take quite a bit of work.
Anything to make life easier?

Thanks Guys
HH

wainuitech
22-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Just located a free password recovery for word /Excel Home page here (http://www.freewordexcelpassword.com/index.php?id=download) Locked one of my word files with the password of 74185 ran the program in Brute force recovery - found it in around 2 minutes. Note: ignored select dictionary - just used default.

Rerunning now with a stronger password 741abc- taken 20 minutes so far about 1/2 gone. Only does 1-8 Characters though - so if the password is any longer it may not work.

The longer and more complex the password the longer they take Eg; Numbers, caps, lower case, symbols.

Happy Harry
23-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Just located a free password recovery for word /Excel Home page here (http://www.freewordexcelpassword.com/index.php?id=download) Locked one of my word files with the password of 74185 ran the program in Brute force recovery - found it in around 2 minutes. Note: ignored select dictionary - just used default.

Rerunning now with a stronger password 741abc- taken 20 minutes so far about 1/2 gone. Only does 1-8 Characters though - so if the password is any longer it may not work.

The longer and more complex the password the longer they take Eg; Numbers, caps, lower case, symbols.

Thanks WT
I have this running now. Been running for 11hrs. It is up to 5 characters and still going.
Based on all the other passwords for other files it will be 6 caharacters long.
Fingers crossed
Cheers
HH

zcc
23-09-2007, 02:18 PM
tell the bastard employee he is in breach of employment law as he has no right to withhold a password the little ****.

Hold the last pay until he coughs it up. Or is it a SHE?

In which case... oh never mind...