PDA

View Full Version : Are modular power supplies worth the extra ?

Digby
22-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I am planning my new PC (I seem to need a new one every year now, instead of every three or four years !)

When I built my last one I heard too late about modular power supplies. I liked the idea of not too much cable clutter.

Can any one comment on weather they are worth the extra cost just for that extra bit of tidiness ?

Ie would you buy one next time ?

And are there any pitfalls to look out for ?

Kind Regards

Digby

hazza87
22-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I built a pc earlier this year and also did not know about these modular power supplies and am now constantly annoyed by the mass of extra cables i have lying around at the bottom of my case not being used. When i upgrade it i will definetly be going modular i cant see any reason not to if you can afford it.

george12
22-09-2007, 12:21 PM
If it is otherwise a good power supply, go for it. There are no disadvantages, and it does reduce cable clutter. It's far from necessary though as it's easy to tuck the spare cables above the DVD drive, out of the way.

It's more important that it's a good quality power supply, so make sure you're not trading quality for modularness.

I don't buy them, but I would if I had, say, a $200 budget for a power supply.

pctek
22-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Some of them don't come with many connectors.
And if you add drives later then you need add another connector.
Not that that is a big deal really........

Damz
22-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Some of them don't come with many connectors.
And if you add drives later then you need add another connector.
Not that that is a big deal really........

How would you go about that? Splice into the wires on an existing connector??

memphis
22-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000 Watt PSU modular in my main pc and I also have the Enermax Galaxy DXX 850 watt PSU modular in my spare pc.And I think they are great.:cool:

I upgraded from a Enermax Liberty 620 Watt psu modular in my main pc and a OCZ 450 Watt psu modular in my spare pc,and they were great as well.

Stick to big name psu manufacturers only or you will risk the pc components in your computer as the cheap are cheap and nasty.

The_End_Of_Reality
22-09-2007, 08:20 PM
How would you go about that? Splice into the wires on an existing connector?? No... you just get more connectors to plug into the PSU...

memphis
22-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Make sure you do some research on the psu and make sure it can handle what you have got now and what you may buy later on.
Make sure it has enough cables for everything you want as well.

Go and check out the Enermax website and other major top brands of psu first before buying it.:thumbs:

george12
22-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Stick to big name psu manufacturers only or you will risk the pc components in your computer as the cheap are cheap and nasty.

Big names aren't everything. An example would be Thermaltake, which mostly make very unimpressive power supplies.

memphis
22-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Big names aren't everything. An example would be Thermaltake, which mostly make very unimpressive power supplies.

Thermaltake is a big name psu manufacture but I would only buy their Toughpower range and newer range of psu's as their older range of psu's are not that great and they had a bad name from them until they got their act together and brought out the Toughpower range of psu which are good,but still not as good as Enermax.:lol:

These are the big names in psu's I was talking about in no order at all:
Cooler Master
Silverstone
Corsair
OCZ
Antec
Enermax

george12
22-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Thermaltake is a big name psu manufacture but I would only buy their Toughpower range and newer range of psu's as their older range of psu's are not that great and they had a bad name from them until they got their act together and brought out the Toughpower range of psu which are good,but still not as good as Enermax.:lol:

These are the big names in psu's I was talking about in no order at all:
Cooler Master
Silverstone
Corsair
OCZ
Antec
Enermax

Agreed 100%. I just wanted to make that clear, because those who don't know any better won't know the difference between a Thermaltake and a Silverstone, for example, when both are probably equally well known.

Digby
27-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks Guys

I think I'll get a modular power supply. (just need to settle on brand and power etc)

Regards

Digby

SolMiester
27-09-2007, 11:39 AM
How would you go about that? Splice into the wires on an existing connector??

You wouldn't need to splice the wires, you can buy connectors that Y split the power, and most new PSU are powerful enough to handle additional loads as they are well over 30a

Bozo
27-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I have a Thermaltake Toughpower 750wat PSU, and it has served me very well.
I take it you have had bad experiences with them?

Pacifier
27-09-2007, 01:56 PM
I have a corsair 620, and that has heaps of cables, I had about 5 left over after building my rig

george12
27-09-2007, 02:01 PM

No, toughpowers are good. They also, however, make a low-quality range of PSUs, their "dual fan" ones without any other model name specified.

SolMiester
27-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Had a TT460 fail on me, luckily, it didnt damage any of the companents.

wratterus
27-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Seconded. I have the same one, have found it to be brilliant.

Digby
27-09-2007, 06:25 PM
This thread is about the pros and cons of modular power supplies

Thanks guys

george12
27-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks guys

The only pro is that it might make your case neater, and there are no cons :p

wratterus
28-09-2007, 02:51 PM

You contradicted yourself there - you said just before that you think you'd get one and would decide on a brand and power, a few of us recommended a brand, and said we had had a really good run with them. Whats wrong with that??:confused: As George12 said - no cons, and they make it easier to keep your case tidy.