PDA

View Full Version : What's a good ISP?

WestMclaren2004
20-09-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm on SlingShot @ the mom. And am wanting to change because of the Data capping... 6GB/monthly's not enough for our family.

Any recommendations?

wainuitech
20-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm on SlingShot @ the mom. And am wanting to change because of the Data capping... 6GB/monthly's not enough for our family.

Any recommendations?

Depends where you live, if you can get telstra's cable or ADSL.

telstra have a plan thats got 80Gb / Month

beeswax34
20-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Xnet's unlimited plan would be good not to mention that they are a fantastic ISP.

Sherman
20-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Xnet's unlimited plan would be good not to mention that they are a fantastic ISP.

Just be aware that this isn't unlimited as in go large, but that one pays 0.1c/MB (about $1/GB), and you can simply choose to have no cap. If you do decide on a cap, you STILL only get charged at 0.1c/MB, however you will get slowed down when you reach that cap.
So, you get charged a base fee for the speed you want, and for what ever data you use on top of that. So if you only use 1GB, you will only be charged for 1GB, no matter what your actual cap is.

jermsie
20-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Just be aware that this isn't unlimited as in go large, but that one pays 0.1c/MB (about $1/GB), and you can simply choose to have no cap. If you do decide on a cap, you STILL only get charged at 0.1c/MB, however you will get slowed down when you reach that cap.
So, you get charged a base fee for the speed you want, and for what ever data you use on top of that. So if you only use 1GB, you will only be charged for 1GB, no matter what your actual cap is.

We're changing from Orcon to Xnet.
Nice thing is they dont have a contract period so if we don't like them (by the looks of comments we probably will) we can change.

Poppa John
20-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Jermsie...Why are you dropping Orcon? PJ

winmacguy
20-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I just joined up with Orcon last week - just a matter of getting used to a 5GB limit as opposed to 6GB from Xtra - minus emails ;)

jermsie
20-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Jermsie...Why are you dropping Orcon? PJ

Basically the plans are a whole lot more flexible. Pay for what you use is attractive. I personally use the internet the most and dont always use the full limit each month. There's no contract period as i previously mentioned so if we really want to we can change. Orcon's speed was fine it just came down to value for money

Trev
20-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Any recommendations?

You can buy extra data
3gb $5
10 10
30 45
50 40
:)

rogerp
20-09-2007, 08:30 PM

Any recommendations?

Slingshot are rubbish, so good on you for moving. I have recently had 24 hours of downtime with them that was their fault, and have been waiting over a week to get a reply to the email that I sent them.

--Wolf--
20-09-2007, 08:58 PM
One word: Xnet.

One screen:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/182947968.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Poppa John
20-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I just joined up with Orcon last week - just a matter of getting used to a 5GB limit as opposed to 6GB from Xtra - minus emails ;)

Win...Why did you go to Orcon. Any drawbacks with them? PJ

pctek
21-09-2007, 07:08 AM
One word: Xnet.

One screen:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/182947968.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

That has nothing to do with which ISP you use.
I use Xnet also and I'm lucky to get 1.5mbps. Ever.

Xnet is good for the reasons people have stated here already.

Myth
21-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Xnet or Orcon seem to be they way to go (currently)
Telstra and Xtra (I have found when I last looked into this) are similarly priced, if either dropped their prices significantly, I'd probably go with either.
Slingshot aka Slowsh|t... well, you make your own mind up; but I changed from their not long ago and wouldn't recommend them to anyone (even those I don't like)

Erayd
21-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I use Xnet also and I'm lucky to get 1.5mbps. Ever.It does, but only up to a point. The actual speeds one gets are related to how big a pipe that ISP has from telecom, how congested that pipe is, and how congested the exchange is. If the traffic is international in nature then how much international bandwidth the ISP has bought alsop comes into play. The only thing that _isn't_ under the direct control of the ISP is exchange congestion.

Xnet do their best to keep their pipes ahead of demand for good performance, unlike some other ISPs (slingshot et al) who oversell capacity. Oh and Xnet have brilliant customer service, and if you call them you rarely if ever end up on hold - more often than not you get a human as first point of contact :D.

:thumbs::thumbs:

allblack
21-09-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm looking to join up with them shortly too....just trying to find out whether the process of changing from Telecom is a nightmare or not....

I can go from dial-up to 5GB Broadband for an xtra :p $13`per month.

--Wolf--
21-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I use Xnet also and I'm lucky to get 1.5mbps. Ever.

Xnet is good for the reasons people have stated here already.

When I was with Xtra, I was lucky to get 3mpbs down, and 100 up.

Myth
22-09-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm looking to join up with them shortly too....just trying to find out whether the process of changing from Telecom is a nightmare or not....Shouldn't be. Just ring Orcon, tell them you'd like to join up, and just answer their questions

I can go from dial-up to 5GB Broadband for an xtra :p $13`per month.If you change all your services to Orcon, your broadband bill will be $10 cheaper (which is what we did). However, this is offset by higher tolls deal (from memory it costs $2 - $2.50 for a one hour national call?). Since we don't make a lot of tolls, this was a factor in our decision (to move all services to Orcon)

allblack
22-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Shouldn't be. Just ring Orcon, tell them you'd like to join up, and just answer their questions

If you change all your services to Orcon, your broadband bill will be $10 cheaper (which is what we did). However, this is offset by higher tolls deal (from memory it costs $2 - $2.50 for a one hour national call?). Since we don't make a lot of tolls, this was a factor in our decision (to move all services to Orcon)

Yeah? Sounds good.

I don't make any toll calls, so that's even easier. Be interesting to see how the process goes.