PDA

View Full Version : maxmise free space

malo
20-09-2007, 06:11 AM
i'm having trouble with c drives free space. The hard drive has been partitioned and C has a capacity of 32.23 GB with 16MB free space. The other drive's capacity is 42.33GB with 31.34GB free space. i always get an error message : you're running low on disk space on local Disk C. how can i free up some space on C without causing major harm. i run ccc cleaner everytime but is not helping.
How can i maximise free space on local disk C, please advise,thanks.:yuck:

drcspy
20-09-2007, 07:46 AM
spacemonger

malo
20-09-2007, 08:47 AM
because there is no more space available,it won't allow me to open system restore.

linw
20-09-2007, 08:51 AM
It's easy - delete all your data! Or, perhaps, more acceptably, move your data to the other drive.

Get a handle on what's taking up the space. Is everything going into My Documents? Where are your images stored. What about music? When you know where stuff is going you can plan to house the bigger folders on D: drive.

It is just not a good idea to store data on C: drive as you have found out. It is much better to keep the C: drive to a minimum. I usually make XP C: drives about 15GB. This allows enough space for XP and programs with plenty of headroom for the paging file etc. Another reason for a small C: drive is to make it easier to image the drive for recovery purposes.

Good luck with your data reorg!

kennie
20-09-2007, 09:04 AM
If you download a lot of music etc may be you need to check out where the downloads go for Limewire and also in the My Music folder. If you do have downloaded files in there you should move them to the other partition. May be if you have lots of pictures as well move them to the other partition as well. If you do a lot of downloading, I'm sure moving those downloaded files to the second partition would free up space.

malo
20-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks i will give data reorg a go and get back to you.

malo
20-09-2007, 09:10 AM
It looks like everything has been going into my documents, music and pictures are going there too. How can I move all these from C without causing major headaches?

malo
20-09-2007, 09:31 AM
i'm going out for an hour or two, we'll let you know how i get on moving stuffs from c to the other drive.

kennie
20-09-2007, 09:32 AM
for the pictures, just create a folder called "pictures" on your D: drive and then copy your pictures from C: drive to the folder you just created on D: when you have checked they copied over fine. Then you just go and deleted them off C:

Sweep
20-09-2007, 10:17 AM
because there is no more space available,it won't allow me to open system restore.

If you please Malo.

Try to keep all your problems in one thread.
One was the space left on drive C:
Then the lack of sound.

To free up space on C: you uninstalled the sound Realtek driver.
You have two partitions I think on one hard drive.

Why not move My Documents to the second partition?

This will free space on the C: drive. First make a new Folder on the second partition. Then rename to MyDocs or whatever. Just do not leave it as New Folder.

Then click start, right click My Documents, click properties then click move.

Navigate to the folder you just made and follow the prompts.

All the stuff you have in "My Documents" will be moved to the second partition thus you will have more free space on drive C:

Greg
20-09-2007, 10:57 AM
It looks like everything has been going into my documents, music and pictures are going there too. How can I move all these from C without causing major headaches?Pretty simple... open Windows Explorer, right-click on My Documents, click Properties, and under the Target tab click Move. Follow your nose from there.

drcspy
20-09-2007, 11:52 AM
by the way........'spacemonger' was NOT a 'comment' it's a PROGRAM ....get it it'll help you see exactly what is on the drive and whats takin up your space

drcspy
20-09-2007, 11:55 AM
and i repeat.....get spacemonger it'll TELL you exactly what is where and how big it is.........if you have been for example re-encoding dvds they can leave HUGE files of several gigabytes on the drive and spacemonger will show you they're there and you can delete em with a simple mouse clik..............get spacemonger it can help

malo
20-09-2007, 12:00 PM
i've just finished moving music, pictures etc from C to I drive and deleted the same from C. Now i have 1 GIG plus of free space on C. i've checked all files that was moved to the other drive (I ) and it worked fine. thanks. guys.:lol:

johcar
20-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you still have a lot of unused stuff on C:\, since that means that you still have 31GB of 32GB used - perhaps there are programs or games installed that you haven't used in a while. You might want to consider uninstalling a few (especially if you have the install files on CD/DVD) of the less used programs. Might help a bit...

Jen
20-09-2007, 05:39 PM
If you please Malo.

Try to keep all your problems in one thread.
One was the space left on drive C:
Then the lack of sound.I've merged the recent posts from the older thread on the same topic into this new thread.

Malo, as explained by Sweep, it is better to keep all your posts that are related to the same problem in the same thread. Making new threads will not get you help faster and people do not know what has been previously suggested. :)