PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Broadband in Greytown

robbyp
20-09-2007, 12:38 AM
I am thinking of moving to Greytown, and am wondering if there is anyone on these forums who is from Greytown and can tell me how good the quality broadband is. eg. speeds and reliability. I will be living in one of the main streets in the town, but if I can't get good braodband, I won't be moving.
TIA

pctek
20-09-2007, 06:35 AM
How extreme! You won't move if broadband is not acceptable!
Best to ask someone who lives there...............

wratterus
20-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Good on ya too, lol. I wouldn't move if I couldn't get BB where I was going to move to. I don't live in Greytown, though, so can't help you sorry.

Marnie
20-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I have known a number of people who wished they had checked out the broadband availability before they moved.
In the early days of TV the same type of thinking emerged.
Check at their information centre, or the local council office. In most cases they will either know themselves, or know of someone who can give reliable information.

Trev
20-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Why don't you ask Telecom.
:)

wratterus
20-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Telecom.

"Yes, broadband is available in Greytown".

The won't tell you the local exchange has only 5 ports, it is flaky as hell, and you will get 50kbps on a good day.:xmouth: Lol.

Marnie
20-09-2007, 09:52 AM
:)

I did think of that too, Trev. Am afraid that cynicism crept into my thoughts! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Marnie

pctek
20-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I am thinking of moving to GreytownI will be living in one of the main streets in the town, but if I can't get good braodband, I won't be moving.
TIA
It is a town. You will get broadband.
Bad broadband beats the pants off Woosh or dialup anyday.

I have "bad" broadband. That is speed varies between 500 and 1.2mbps.
Its not the end of the world, it works, I download stuff.

robbyp
20-09-2007, 01:07 PM

With my business I can work from anywhere, but it relies on a good fast internet connection. People I know in Greytown don't have broadband, only dial up. Telecom have said I should be able to get it, but won't tell me the speeds or releability.

stu161204
20-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Telecom have said I should be able to get it, but won't tell me the speeds or releability.

That normally means its not good :p

beeswax34
20-09-2007, 01:27 PM
With my business I can work from anywhere, but it relies on a good fast internet connection. People I know in Greytown don't have broadband, only dial up. Telecom have said I should be able to get it, but won't tell me the speeds or releability.

Guess you're not moving then:lol:

rogerp
20-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Guess you're not moving then:lol:

Telecom won't guarrantee speeds or relibility of adsl anywhere, not just in Greytown. I know you can get broadband their, but just wanted to know how good it was. People I know who only have dialup, don't have broadband because they can't afford it, rather than it not being available.
I had hoped their was someone on here who lived in Greytown and had broadband. I guess not, which is probably a little surprising, as it does have a good sized population. I might have to try door knocking.

pctek
20-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Ring this guy and ask him:
http://www.greytowncomputers.co.nz/services.html

And there are plenty of motels and stuff there - stay at one and test the speed yourself - they all advertise broadband............

Sweep
20-09-2007, 04:46 PM

"I am thinking of moving to Greytown, and am wondering if there is anyone on these forums who is from Greytown"

rogerp did try to ask for replies from one or more Greytown residents.

And while you download stuff rogerp might be wanting to upload stuff.

Sweep
20-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Masterton is not far from Greytown.