PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice 2.3 release

Morgenmuffel
19-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Exactly that, they have released a new version

I just wish they would release update patches for older versions rather than making you download an entire new installation

johnd
19-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Usually the upgrades are reasonanbly incremental so that there is really no point on changing everytime a new version is released.

PENTIUM
19-09-2007, 07:08 PM
So you want everyone doing a new install to put the old version in then add the 2.3 enhancements! You can have your money back if you are unhappy.

Myth
19-09-2007, 08:00 PM
So you want everyone doing a new install to put the old version in then add the 2.3 enhancements! You can have your money back if you are unhappy.
Why not? Firefox has only just started doing it. I think it would be a good idea if it could be done on OO as well
As for money back, one assumes it is your version of sarcasm

Morgenmuffel
19-09-2007, 08:33 PM

No nothing like that, but like Myth said firefox now do it where you can either install the latest version or update your existing installation to the new version,
I know it sound ungrateful to complain about free - software, But large downloads everytime there is a new or even minor release will put some users off, and yes i know the PCWorld often has it on the DVD,

For instance i use a third party application to launch my programs and everytime i put the new version of OpenOffice on it takes me about 10 mins to reset all the shortcuts whereas MSOffice just updates itself with various patches

Don't get me wrong I like openoffice and i much prefer calc to excell for some of the activities i do, but the regular reinstalling is a bit of a nusiance

Shortcircuit
19-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I may be crazy, but I've just looked in 2.3 that I installed the other day...

In tools> options> openoffice.org> online update it has a menu to check for updates and download them. I can only assume that this is what you're after instead of downloading the whole program again?

Graham L
20-09-2007, 01:56 PM
What is the problem?

This is a new version, and updates will follow, as needed.

Until it is time for an new version.

That's how software is maintained. It's about the only way it can be maintained. This way, the released version at a given version level is in a known state. Any patches and updates can refer to that, and can be tested to ensure (as far as possible) that they don't interact badly with previous changes.

Microsoft aren't offering an upgrade package to convert XP to Vista, and they ceratinly aren't providing pacgages to upgrade successively from WFW through W95, W98, W98SE, WMe, W2k, ... :D At each version, they release it as a complete unit.

Morgenmuffel
20-09-2007, 02:29 PM
The issue i have is that everytime there was an update i have had to download the whole suite again and install it, perhaps it's just my system but I have never had the option of downloading an update

Scouse
20-09-2007, 03:25 PM
In 2.3 - Help > Check for Updates.

Morgenmuffel
20-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Scouse

yes I realise 2.3 has this feature although when I originally posted I was in the process of downloading it, and I hope it works rather than just telling me their is a new update and I have to download the whole thing again to get it

pctek
20-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Why care? New version - update, whatever. Unless you are unhappy with your current incarnation of it, then ignore it. You don't have to update just because its available you know.

Billy
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Which PC World disk is OpenOffice 2.3 available on?

Is it available on CD anywhere else?

I don't want to do a huge download.

Thanks

SurferJoe46
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
No nothing like that, but like Myth said firefox now do it where you can either install the latest version or update your existing installation to the new version,
I know it sound ungrateful to complain about free - software, But large downloads everytime there is a new or even minor release will put some users off, and yes i know the PCWorld often has it on the DVD,

For instance i use a third party application to launch my programs and everytime i put the new version of OpenOffice on it takes me about 10 mins to reset all the shortcuts whereas MSOffice just updates itself with various patches

Don't get me wrong I like openoffice and i much prefer calc to excell for some of the activities i do, but the regular reinstalling is a bit of a nusiance

Hiya Nigel <I like typing that name>

I think that the OO people..(aren't they SunMicro?) believes that DSL is almost everywhere in the world...and they have an over/undersight of those on Dial-up.