PDA

View Full Version : win xp expired

nzace
18-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I dont have a registration key for xp and it has expired and wont let me in.what I want to do is uninstall win xp but it doesnt show up in add/remove programs and it wont work with command prompt any one got any ideas short of replacing hard drive.:::help:

george12
18-09-2007, 10:49 PM
After you "uninstall" Windows XP, what are you going to put on the computer? Just install the new OS and format the hard drive as a step of the process.

If you have valuable data on your hard drive it's a little more complicated, and the best solution depends on the OS you want to install.

I'm not sure that you fully understand what an operating system is. Without one, you would just get:

"Missing operating system"

When you turn on your PC (or a similar message).

tweak'e
18-09-2007, 10:49 PM
go buy a legit copy then fellow MS's instructions on how to replace the key.

wainuitech
18-09-2007, 11:17 PM
go buy a legit copy then fellow MS's instructions on how to replace the key.

Normally the reason for that message as tweak'e said is because it's not legal.

You can install XP without a legal product key for 21 days I think it is, then it shuts down, you would have had warnings saying it has to be activated with in X number of days.

Purchase a legal copy of XP.

If it was Installed from a "mates" copy of XP you need to phone MS and explain why you are trying to use a single user key on multi PC's.

Microsoft - 0800 676 334 option 2

bevy121
18-09-2007, 11:35 PM
what I want to do is uninstall win xp but it doesnt show up in add/remove programs

no, I dont think it does :groan:

beeswax34
19-09-2007, 12:58 AM
I dont have a registration key for xp and it has expired and wont let me in.what I want to do is uninstall win xp but it doesnt show up in add/remove programs and it wont work with command prompt any one got any ideas short of replacing hard drive.:::help:

And it won't appear on that menu either. XP is not software in the normal sense. It is an OS which is designed to SUPPORT other software and run hardware.

drcspy
19-09-2007, 02:40 AM
doesnt show up in add/remove programs and it wont work with command prompt

of course it doesn't ........the 'add/remove' programs menu and the 'command prompt' are PARTS of xp......you cant use xp to remove xp it just doestn' work like that....what did you think would happen if you could go to the command prompt or 'add/remove' programs and remove xp ?......when it was done you'd have NOTHIGN on the computer at all and when you started it up all you'd get would be a black screen with one line of writing on it saying 'operating system not found insert boot disk' or similar.........you'd in short be stuffed!

the 'add remove' and the command prompt exist WITHIN xp.......and if you did remove it .........what then ?......

racepics
19-09-2007, 08:02 AM
nzace: You didnt say what you were wanting to replace XP with..?
Assuming you have another Operating System of some sort on a CD ( Linux, or another version of Windoze ) you should be able to boot from that CD and overwrite ( format ) the existing OS.
If you need to retrieve data ( personal files ) from the hard drive first, just use a Linux Live CD to boot the system and copy your data to a USB Key or similar.
OR: you could remove the Hard Drive and slave it into another box with a working OS and copy your data out that way..

nzace
19-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi,Firsly,I do have a legit copy of xp and was trying to install it over top of 98se ,but was having allsorts of problems so a mate installed his copy which was already installed on his puter,hence,I was unable to register it.I then tried to uninstall xp and you know the rest.

wainuitech
19-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi,Firsly,I do have a legit copy of xp and was trying to install it over top of 98se ,but was having allsorts of problems so a mate installed his copy which was already installed on his puter,hence,I was unable to register it.I then tried to uninstall xp and you know the rest.

Easy fix then - when it asks to activate select telephone support, when the page appears select change product key - put in your key - then actiave it.

Trev
19-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Could be a complete format of your HD is required, as that is the only way you can uninstall it then install your legal copy.
:)

wainuitech
19-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Hi,Firsly,I do have a legit copy of xp

If you do have a legit copy of XP then you will or should also have the Certificate of Authenticity See Here (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa) as to what it looks like. Thats the product key you need. The XP CD is not the licence, in fact its the Licence you pay for when you purchase XP. The CD is worth less then $10.00

If you have lost the COA, all hope is not lost. As long as you can prove by a receipt that you did purchase it legally then they may issue you with another one for a small cost.

nzace
19-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Cant, my copy is xp professional and my friends is xp home

tweak'e
19-09-2007, 08:41 PM
save any files if you can, then format and install XP.

Bozo
19-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Yawnage material here.
Go to www.google.com and read some of the stuff you have posted questions about in here.
Google is a great tool and you will find answers to a lot of things there.
(in future, try searching yourself, instead of just asking us to tell you what to do)

wainuitech
19-09-2007, 09:26 PM

First do what Tweak'e said, save any files, easiest way is to put your drive on another PC as a slave. then copy across. Then attach your drive back, and wipe it, or put the your XP Pro in the drive, have your XP Pro product key, do a non distruct reinstall, that will put XP Pro on, and away you go - XP Pro will upgrade from XP HM.

Problem with upgrading from 98 to XP is 98 could be unstable.- hence unstable XP.

Heres how to do a Non Distruct. -
Put XP CD in Drive

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Man am I glad I put those instructions on word:lol: Easy to copy paste.

PS: Demon Hunter's advice is top notch:thumbs: you can find almost any answer there.

Sweep
20-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Yawnage material here.
Go to www.google.com and read some of the stuff you have posted questions about in here.
(in future, try searching yourself, instead of just asking us to tell you what to do)

Now why did I not think of that?

Use Google and forget PressF1! Oh wait, Google has 320,000 pages matching your query. Now to which of those pages do I go to get reliable and accurate information?

I just checked how Googled handled "hw do i fmt my hd". This means if you can't frame the query it is likely you will get hits that do not relate to the problem.

The main difference between Google and PressF1 is simple. Google can not read minds although it attempts to in suggesting alternative spelling for example.

The members of PressF1 can't read minds either although we attempt to.

PressF1 is interactive and people can ask questions.
So if I felt like replying to a post on PressF1 which had a subject line,"hw do i fmt my hd", I would guess that the person posting wants to format a hard drive.

But then I would feel obliged to ask other questions.

I could go on but I will stop now. I hope you see my point.

You will also find, on Google, quite a bit of misinformation.

Jen
20-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Yawnage material here.
(in future, try searching yourself, instead of just asking us to tell you what to do)Gosh, someone has forgotten this is a help forum. People are not to be made to feel like they cannot ask for help, regardless how simple the problem may seem to others by comments like that.

Your custom title suggests you have little tolerance towards inexperienced users, so if you are unwilling to help them, perhaps find other threads to post in.

PENTIUM
20-09-2007, 07:49 PM
If your CMOS is set to allow boot from CD! Often it is not and needs to be changed.

Bozo
25-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Sweep & Jen
I understand what you are getting at, but for a problem as simple as this, all it would take is a very simple correctly composed entry into a Google search for the correct results to be returned.
I don't mind helping n00bs, but seriously, this person obviously needs to learn how to use Google to at least try and find a solution.
For a problem as simple as this, im sure there are multiple (and mostly accurate) examples and solutions.

Agent_24
25-09-2007, 02:42 PM

The fact you were trying to upgrade from 98, and while you might be able to do a repair install of XP home over the top of XP pro - dunno how well that's going to work...

Best way is backup all the stuff you want, format and reinstall using your own XP home CD and key.

Then you know it's going to work