PDA

View Full Version : Laptop backup to hard drive - how?

18-03-2001, 06:01 PM
I would like to be able to plug a second hard drive into my Compaq presario 1200/ 5 GB laptop and copy my entire my entire C disk to it by dragging from Explorer.

Can I plug it in through my pcmcia slot? My computer apparently has VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller, is this relevant? What hardware/software would be best - fast and cheap?

Can I just buy any old hard drive or does it need some further components? I have seen a Maxtor 10 Gb ATA 100 5400 rpm hard drive for $265 which sounds pretty good to me!

Ami I right thinking this is a better option than a tape backup?

Or can I acheive better with a pcmcia flash card, or something else???

18-03-2001, 10:49 PM
There are a few options available to you:

1. Zip / Jaz drive
Zip drives come in two models - 100MB or 250MB. The 250MB is slightly dearer and the disks for them are dear as well. The 100MB is much economical option. The Jaz drive however can backup 1GB on each disk each time. The drive can connect via parallel, USB or SCSI.

2. External hard drive
As you know you can plug an external hard drive via the pcmcia slot, you will have to find out the compatibility with your laptop.

3. External CD Writer
This will allow you to back up on CD or CDRW media. The CD writer will be able to connect to the USB or parallel port. I think personally this would be a better option - may be economical and also versatile (easier to exchange data via the CD media)

Also you will need to running windows 98 or Windows 2000 for USB to work. Whatever option you choose, make sure there are drivers for the device to work on your laptop.

Regards,

Andrew

18-03-2001, 11:42 PM
You may also want to consider software called 'Ghost'
fast and efficient but does have some caveats.

19-03-2001, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice Andrew, I don't want media I will have to change over so everything Zip, Jaz, CD are not options and zip is in addition intolerably slow both storing and retreiving.

I have win 98. How do I 'find out the cpompatibility with my laptop'?

Drivers listed for USB root hub: usbhub.sys and VMM32.VXD
for via tech: uhcd.sys, VMM32.VXD, USBI.DLL, USBIHB.SYS, USBD.SYS, UHCD.SYS

Are these the drivers I need?

Thanks again,

19-03-2001, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your response Shane, can you help me with what does it do, what hardware does it work with, how much does it cost, and where do I find it?

Cheers,

07-04-2001, 12:54 PM
IT WAS EASY! I have just bought a 10 GB hard drive, cover, USB and all hardware for $450, and files transfer beautifully, quickly and without fossicking with (or buying) dozens of disks - and it connected by simply plugging it in, with preinstalled win 98 USB driver already available. WHY are people still trying to make us buy tape drives, zip discs and CDs, with junky transfer software???

Next question (I have posted this under software). Now I can scan and check my beautiful new hard drive and check my backups, nothing seems to transfer all the files shown by scandisk on my C drive.

Scandisk of C Drive: >> 465 hidden, 60,669 user.
Xcopy32 C:\ E:\ /s/c >> 1 hidden, 27,109 user.
Explorer drag and drop C >> 149 hidden, 10,522 user
MSbackup (exclude files tab empty) >> 60,789 files.

Can anyone tell me how to get ALL the files copied, preferably in original format, not as a qic or other backup file? Symantec ghost has been mentioned, $150. Surely this simple procedure can be accomplished with the software I already have? (win 98).

Many thanks,

07-04-2001, 04:52 PM
PowerQuests'Drive Copy is excellent for complete copying of one hard drive to another. I use it each week to back up to a plug-in hard drive. I also have Ghost, but at least on my set-up, Drive Copy is faster and easier to use with a better GUI.
You could try e-mailing Chris Cooper at Technology Matters, chris@tech-matters.co.nz for information on current availability, price, etc.