PDA

View Full Version : Firefox keeps freezing computer (maybe???)!

Adrain
16-09-2007, 07:37 AM
For some reason, Firefox freezes my computer when (sometimes) loading a new tab. I should point out that it's not always, but sometimes does/doesn't freeze on the same webpage. Webpages I use regularly (internet banking for instance) sometimes load straight away, and some times do not. Whilst the computer is frozen, what I've been doing is mouse clicking on another open program in the bottom of the screen in the hope that it might make the computer 'think' it's needed 'elsewhere' and come out of it's 'doze'. This appears to do 'nothing', so then I wait for that program to appear (come to the 'front'). Then it seems that the computer has 'un-frozen' and I can click back on the Firefox program and the page has loaded! As I say, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why it does this as regular webpages sometimes work...... or don't!! Luck of the draw it seems to me!
Any ideas out there why?
Cheers,
Adrain

Adrain
16-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Opps! Just thought...
Even clicking on 'Start' does nothing in it's frozen state! So if no other open programs, I wait for that to 'appear' (as if by magic) then know that the webpage has loaded!
Adrain, er, again!

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Could be an add-on, if you've installed any.

Have you scanned for malware/spyware recently?

FoxyMX
16-09-2007, 08:03 AM
What version of Firefox?

Does the same thing happen when you run Firefox in Safe Mode? To find out go to Start > Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).

Adrain
16-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Speedy Gonzales, I wondered about these add-ons. But I have to admit I was a little confused as a while ago I thought I'd be klever and uninstall Firefox, download the latest version then install and start adding the, er, add ons again. I made a note (screen shot) of what I had and was going to go through them one at a time seeing which one may be a problem. BUT... when I installed the latest version, low and behold ALL the previous add ons were back! I guess I missed something there! Obviously didn't remove everything!
As for scanning for malware and spyware recently, my computer is my 'church'! I do these things (update and scan) quite religiously! So I'm not overly hot on that idea. I'll do it now tho' because..... I can! :D
As for the version, FoxyMX, it's version 2.0.0.6! I believe this is the latest as the 'Check for updates' button comes back with a 'None today, thank you!' Haven't tried it in Safe Mode tho'. Will try that on the morrow as I'm off out today! Yipee!
Cheers,
Adrain
PS - No problems in the last couple of hours, then went to preview this post (to see if it makes sense when read) and another freeze! Hmm!
PPS - Just previewed again and no freeze! WTH?

FoxyMX
16-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Speedy Gonzales, I wondered about these add-ons. But I have to admit I was a little confused as a while ago I thought I'd be klever and uninstall Firefox, download the latest version then install and start adding the, er, add ons again. I made a note (screen shot) of what I had and was going to go through them one at a time seeing which one may be a problem. BUT... when I installed the latest version, low and behold ALL the previous add ons were back! I guess I missed something there! Obviously didn't remove everything!

That's because you didn't remove everything. You need to delete your profile folder as well.

Safe Mode does not load up the add-ons which is why I suggested to try it.

Adrain
16-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Didn't think quick enough to start this session in 'Safe Mode', FoxyMX, sorry. But can I ask what you mean by
You need to delete your profile folder as well. please?!
I did think that by uninstalling Firefox, everything was gone! I did think (but I'm old and have senior moments! ;) ) that I'd actually been klever and deleted the folder in 'Program Files' even. Not sure if I did now tho'. Where should I be checking for this profile of mine? Would it be my 'Documents and Settings' folder some where, per chance?
Do you think it's worth a completely clean install, doing as you say, a delete of my profile as well?
Cheers,
Adrain

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Not sure if I did now tho'. Where should I be checking for this profile of mine? Would it be my 'Documents and Settings' folder some where, per chance?Adrain

Uninstall firefox, then delete

C:\Program files/Mozilla FF

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla

This will KILL anything to do with FF (apart from whats in the registry).

beeswax34
16-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Had a problem last week where this was this huge delay between opening new tabs and switching between tabs that were loaded etc.

Disabled all my add-on's and enabled them one by one until I found the culprit. It was CookieSafe!!! Try doing that rather than just re-installing everything AND back up your bookmarks!!!

Adrain
16-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Thank you Speedy Gonzales. I think I'll make a note of that (memory issues you know! Er, my memory that is! ;) ) but seems quite straight forward.

beeswax34! Didn't I just reply to you about using two mouses? :p Thanks for that! I didn't know you could disable the add ons! :blush: Gosh, so much to learn! How does any one know all this stuff? That sounds so much better than doing the 'Big Deal' on Firefox. I'll try that now!

Cheers (again beeswax34)!
Adrain

Shortcircuit
16-09-2007, 10:28 PM
You can disable add-ons one by one by clicking on tools>add-ons then click on the add-on and it should have buttons... disable... uninstall. I have sidebar installed so they all show in there but I guess it's the same deal from the tools menu.

You could also try looking for updates for the add-ons you have, some get a bit out of whack between versions of Firefox.

There should be a 'find updates' button at the top of the add-on list. just click on it and F/fox will search the net for updated ones.