PDA

View Full Version : Kinect - Trust Power

B.M.
13-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Has anyone had anything to do with this new ISP?

I got on their site earlier today but havenít been able to tonight.

Not a very good start because I had hoped they might become a realistic alternative.

stu161204
14-09-2007, 02:04 AM
I have not heard of them before.

Are they a local ISP to your area?

What’s there website address?

beeswax34
14-09-2007, 02:27 AM
In Tauranga:

Kinectís phone products include anytime and off-peak plans and a choice of a discounted 2 hour cap call option or Kinectís new 30 minute cap call option. ďMost people donít actually talk for 2 hours, so weíve introduced a new option which caps the price of the call when the customer talks for just 30 minutesĒ, says OíHara. TrustPower customers will receive a 10% discount on Kinect toll calls, and can also choose a Favourite Country and get an additional 10% off the per minute rate to that country.

Kinect also offers a range of broadband and dial-up internet plans. Kinectís broadband plans allow customers to separately choose a connection speed and data allowance so the customer can make up a package that suits their needs.
ďAnd thereís something quite unique about our broadband plans. If you donít use your whole data allowance before the end of the month, you get to carry the balance forward into the next month, so you get what you have paid for. As far as we are aware, Kinect is the only supplier that lets customers do thisĒ says OíHara.
Kinectís service team will provide full support for power, phone and internet enquiries, so customers wonít need to call other phone or internet companies for enquiries or faults.

FROM:http://www.trustpower.co.nz/Content/ViewItem.aspx?item=1232

Website which is indeed down right now: www.kinect.co.nz

B.M.
14-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Yes itís all fairly new but Trust Power is a big company and although its roots are in Tauranga it stretches much further afield.

Some time ago they announced they would enter the Internet market and there was some suggestion that they may even be able to use their Transmission Lines to this end.

I know the old State Hydro used to run multi channel telephone systems over their transmission lines so I guess itís feasible to run data traffic.

Anyone else know anything about the feasibility of doing such?

I guess youíd need reliable power separation filters though. :lol:

Their website is still down, not a good start. :groan:

godfather
14-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes itís all fairly new but Trust Power is a big company and although its roots are in Tauranga it stretches much further afield.

Some time ago they announced they would enter the Internet market and there was some suggestion that they may even be able to use their Transmission Lines to this end.

I know the old State Hydro used to run multi channel telephone systems over their transmission lines so I guess itís feasible to run data traffic.

Anyone else know anything about the feasibility of doing such?

I guess youíd need reliable power separation filters though. :lol:

Their website is still down, not a good start. :groan:

TrustPower do not own any "transmission lines", they are an electricity retailer and a generator of electricity, using lines owned by others, just like Contact, Mercury, Genesis etc. Since 1998 an electricity retailer cannot own lines and a line owner cannot sell electricity, apart from very small limited operations.

Transpower (not TrustPower) own and operate the national grid, and in many parts the very top "earth wire" carries a a fibre optic core which national telecommunications companies rent space on. At a local level the power lines are owned by the local network companies, but few (if any) of them have fibre-optic capabilities and "broadband over power line" (BPL) technologies exist but are not economic in many or most cases, none are in use in NZ. They tried it in the UK and gave up.

Some line companies own fibre optic "city loops" in the CBD of large cities however, but these have nothing to do with the power system.

B.M.
15-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for that gf, very interesting.

Now, would anybody like to comment on this claim from kinect website.

With Kinect Electrify you can surf up to 5 times faster for just $1.95 more a month.
Electrify your speed...

Websites that normally take around 30 seconds to load - should appear on your screen in less than 7 seconds with Kinect Electrify.
ē You won't need to buy any new hardware
ē It's easy to install - just a few easy steps to download it onto your computer
ē It's safe to use - it won't cause any problems with your computer or internet connection
ē And you'll get free pop-up and banner-ad blocking as well

godfather
15-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Just the old "dial up web accelerator" that reduces any graphics to "barely recognisable" and caches commonly used sites or content.

It has zero effect on downloading of data, many ISP's have offerred it for years overseas, a lot of people end up getting rid of it as the viewing experience is less than their expectations, and the speed increase is more theoretical than actual, depending what you are doing.

B.M.
15-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks again gf, just what I suspected. :thumbs:

Kinect
19-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Thank you all for your keen interest in Kinect. After reading through the forums, I thought I would give you some insight into Kinect, what products we offer and how Kinect is very different to other telco's in the marketplace today. I will also respond to some feedback about Kinect's Electrify product.

First of all, let me introduce myself, my name is Peter Gregory and I am the Business Manager - Telecommunications for Kinect.

The Kinect concept goes back a few years and has been active during this time just in the Tolls market. In August of this year, Kinect launched with a full suite of phone, tolls and internet products for residential customers. Everyone at TrustPower is very excited about it. TrustPower has a great opportunity to provide all these services to an existing and very loyal customer base. At the end of the year, Kinect will also be launching a full suite of phone, tolls, toll free and internet services for businesses.

Kinect has launched in Tauranga with Billboards and we have also started to advertise over radio on approximately 9 radio stations in the Bay of Plenty. In reference to not being able to access our website (www.Kinect.co.nz) yes, we did have a hitch and for that I apologise to anyone who could not access our site. We were uploading some new content and functionality. Unfortunately this took longer than expected. I am happy to say now that the web site is up, functional and Kinect is getting some great feedback from it. I can also add that yes, Kinect is also a very realistic alternative. By combining tolls, internet, line rental and electricity all on one bill, customers will get competitive prices and the simplicity of dealing with one high quality service provider.

With Kinect internet , we are offering a great range of plans and pricing. We also have a very unique offering regarding data usage. Kinect customers can choose what connection speed they want and also what data usage they require. Customers can login via our members centre and change usage month to month, throttle back to dial up if they like, or purchase extra data. Kinect customers get what they pay for. Any unused data allowance is "banked" and carried forward, month to month.

For example, Johnny signs up on 15th Aug for an internet plan with 5GB usage. In Aug, he is only billed for half the month's usage but he actually gets 5GB to use in August. At the end of August, Johnny has only used 2GB and he has an auto purchase of 5GB each month so in Sept, he has 8GB to use. In Sept he uses 2GB, so in October he has 11GB to use (8 - 2 + 5 = 11). The unused data usage is cumulatively banked month to month. If Johnny goes away for a month, he can change his auto purchase to a lower usage option as this will give him a chance to use up any unused data and not spend as much per month. What a fantastic offer huh!

I would like to make comment on the Kinect Electrify product that has been referred to in the forum. This product is based on a widely used, and well regarded product. It provides the functionality that some of our customers have asked for. The Kinect Electrify product is a small client application that is loaded on you PC when you have a connection to the internet of less than 1MB (dial up and a 256/128 DSL connection). The application speeds up email transfers, web browsing and file transfers. How does it work….. well, the application communicates with a server at the core that uses compression, caching, IP optimization and content filtering. Electrify does not speed up peer to peer, streaming media or HTTPS. From staff who have trialled this product, they have experienced a performance increase in email transfers and web browsing of 2 to 5 time faster than their dial up or 256/128 DSL connection.

On top of TrustPower Kinect's excellent products, bundles and pricing, we are offering outstanding customer service our existing customers have come to expect from TrustPower. For many years we have been servicing a very loyal customer base with extremely high standards. Our customers are everything to us. If a call is made to TrustPower, the caller is directed through our IVR to a representative that will be able to assist with any enquiry about our power, phone and internet services. TrustPowers CSR's are fully trained to service every customer who calls into our contact centre. And what's even better is there is no wading through levels and levels of IVR's to speak to someone.

If you would like to know more about TrustPower and Kinect, you are welcome to contact me directly. I can be reached at during business hours. TrustPowers contact details are on the web and before you ask, yes the site is working, I have just checked :-)

Thank you all for your interest in Kinect. I look forward to having you on board as customers.

B.M.
20-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Well I must say itís refreshing to have a Business Manager prepared to front. :thumbs:

Iím not going to hold my breath waiting for someone from Xtra to explain why a large part of my Bandwidth is still being gobbled up by Spam and why I canít retrieve my Address Book without joining Yahoo. :angry

Which raises another point Peter.

Will you be operating decent Spam Filters?

Anyway, Iím prepared to be a guinea pig and give it a go.

Hereís hoping.

beeswax34
20-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Peter:)

Good on you for fronting up:thumbs: Just front up when there is any criticism:D

Greg
21-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah ain't it grand using an online help forum to spam your services.

B.M.
21-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Well I would hardly call One Post clarifying some matters ďSpamĒ :rolleyes:

Itís a pity Xtra didnít come on and explain themselves. :mad:

Greg
21-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Well I would hardly call One Post clarifying some matters ďSpamĒ :rolleyes:
One post, with over 800 words to promote a business, ain't spam? I don't recall ever being given leeway to blab on about my business on these forums without the post being culled.

stu161204
21-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Itís a pity Xtra didnít come on and explain themselves. :mad:

I bet if they did, it would make the longest thread in PressF1 history. ( & possibly the most people banned/suspended in one period of time)

beeswax34
21-09-2007, 08:48 PM
You'd probably have the most swearing and cussing recorded in one page on the Internet surely:D Even all the admins and mods together couldn't handle all the moderating and banning.

B.M.
21-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Well Greg old son, I still say Peters post was not spam. :)

It was One Post and Iíll take your word on the 800 other words,

Let me help you out.: ďSpamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messagesĒ.

Now tell me, does a reply to my query fit this definition?

All power to they that have a product and are prepared to publically back it.

However, my question about your Spam filters has not yet been responded to Peter.

I must agree guys that on reflection it is probably best if Xtra gives this site a miss as it may well turn into an on-line dictionary for Anglo Saxon four letter words. :D

Jen
21-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah ain't it grand using an online help forum to spam your services.

One post, with over 800 words to promote a business, ain't spam? I don't recall ever being given leeway to blab on about my business on these forums without the post being culled.Sigh. The forum rules quite clearly state:

...nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post. But users who post purely to promote their business/website may find their threads deleted along with their user ID.

Kinect (Peter) is allowed to answer the questions that were raised about his product. He was not posting in some random thread (or started a thread) about it. There is a difference.

porkster
21-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Well Greg old son, I still say Peters post was not spam. :)

It was One Post and I’ll take your word on the 800 other words,

Let me help you out.: “Spamming is the abuse of electronic messaging systems to indiscriminately send unsolicited bulk messages”.

Now tell me, does a reply to my query fit this definition?

I agree with Greg. It's spam.

Abuse - I was sure there is a rule against advertising on this forum.
Electronic messaging system - this forum.
indiscriminately - He has no control to who reads this forum.
unsolicited - No one asked for it. People read these forums with the expectation they won't have to read threads containing advertisements.
bulk messages - this message will be reproduced on every computer of those people who read the forum.

To sum up:- The 800 word advertising message will be reproduced on anyone's computer that views this electronic message forum even though its against the rules and they never asked for it.

Certainly sounds like span to me!

B.M.
21-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Hang on a second.

I started the Thread.

The reply was to my Post.

Others have also responded to that Post.

How can the response from the person who's in the best position to respond be construed as Spam.

porkster
21-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Has anyone had anything to do with this new ISP?

I got on their site earlier today but havenít been able to tonight.

Not a very good start because I had hoped they might become a realistic alternative.

Sorry,
I thought your question was to other users to see what the Kinect experience was like.

My mistake.

robbyp
21-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Sigh. The forum rules quite clearly state:

...nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post. But users who post purely to promote their business/website may find their threads deleted along with their user ID.

Kinect (Peter) is allowed to answer the questions that were raised about his product. He was not posting in some random thread (or started a thread) about it. There is a difference.

I agree in this case. Vodafones marketing person also sometime replies to threads that involves vodafone, however his replies often have additional marketing in them which I don't consider appropriate. They should stick to only replying to the issue and not then self promoting.

B.M.
08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Has anyone managed to connect to Kinect yet?

Whatís it like?

Iíve been trying to change my account over to them from Xtra and all I get is music and recorded apologies on their 0800 number so I tried doing it on the Internet but couldnít get past the last page. :rolleyes:

Not a good look and makes me suspicious of what may follow.

Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire maybe? :groan:

bevy121
08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
0800 87 87 87 works fine for me - but those "voice recognition" service choices you have to go thru are a pain in the a**!
..and you have to make a number of "choices" before you get a human.

(btw - I think I'd go with xnet or something :) )

pctek
08-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Sigh. The forum rules quite clearly state:

Thats not answering questions.
There was already a link to the website, where you can view details of the plans.

Ranting on and on like a sales pamphlet in my opinion is abuse of the forum.

karatemum
16-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Would not touch them.

Have a couple of neighbors on my street who have been switched via telemarketing. After initial problems and delays with the switch all have been frustrated by the customer service (or more to the point lack of service)

When i have showed them my xnet bill they were ashamed at the prices they were paying and still locked in for up to 3 years. (with xnet there is no contract period. Also no need to bundle tolls or in this case power as well)

Perhaps the business manager should spend more time managing the business ie forming competitively priced deals and doing something about the appalling customer service.

B.M.
16-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Would not touch them.

Have a couple of neighbors on my street who have been switched via telemarketing. After initial problems and delays with the switch all have been frustrated by the customer service (or more to the point lack of service)

When i have showed them my xnet bill they were ashamed at the prices they were paying and still locked in for up to 3 years. (with xnet there is no contract period. Also no need to bundle tolls or in this case power as well)

Perhaps the business manager should spend more time managing the business ie forming competitively priced deals and doing something about the appalling customer service.

Interesting.

I took the leap back in October and couldn't be happier. A mate is likewise.

We both get good speeds, haven't needed to test the problem line since the initial setup, but know they are in Dunedin and speak english. ;)

And, as a bonus, neither of us have had one bit of Spam, where we were both getting Spammed off the planet at Xtra.

The must have the worlds best Spam filters. :thumbs:

Anyway they get 10/10 from me. :)

Jester
16-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Welcome to PF1 Karatemum. Post some more if ya like :)

We use Kinect for power and phone, unfortunately we cannot get adsl in our modern (yeah right) subdivision but wouldn't hesitate in recommending them for customer service. We never have any issues when we have to ring them. I also ring Trustpower a lot for work queries and find them always pleasant to deal with.