PDA

View Full Version : PC Reference Books

Grimy
12-09-2007, 09:28 PM
It seemed we decided that a computer study course was not the way to go, so does anyone have any recommendation for books/manuals on 1/The general subject of computers (as in how they work/parts, etc), 2/ Hardware & troubleshooting, 3/General information about the software/OS side of things?
I guess I'm looking for books that will give me some theory & understanding(without being too heavy). Just for my interest/hobby. I am not expecting a simple book with all the answers.
There are so many books available I would appreciate it if someone can say "book xyz was good, learnt a bit from it/was helpful" sort of thing.
Thanks,
Graham.

wainuitech
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Go to the ever popular Google type in "Computer Trouble Shooting" you will get lotsssssssss of choices. ( without the " ") 34,600,000 - that enough

AND Do us all out of being on here:lol:

Grimy
12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
That's the problem......too many choices! Hundreds on TradeMe.

winmacguy
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Windows or Vista for Dummies
PCs for Dummies
would probably be a good place to start. Generally cheap and available from any Borders/Tech books or possibly Whitcoulls bookstore

Myth
13-09-2007, 07:54 AM
This one (http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Troubleshooting-Essential-Computers-Andrew/dp/0751364312/ref=sr_1_2/002-0119848-9935236?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189624292&sr=1-2) looks interesting, google it some more

wainuitech
13-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Yep lots of choices - BUT after using goole for many years you I have found that if you do a general search like I put, look at the first two pages and those will be the main ones.

You also have to remember that since there are so many things that can and do go wrong with computers you sometimes do a search an a certain problem that you are having at the time.

How do you think some of the questions get answered here ? Sometimes answers are known by some people as they have delt with it before. Other times you need to search.For every problem there is normally several ways it can be fixed.

Myth
13-09-2007, 08:18 AM
...For every problem there is normally several ways it can be fixed.Especially in regards to Windows :p
The same error message can have at least 3 different causes

Sweep
13-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Why not join the local PC User Group if you have one?

The Dummys series was not too bad either.

As I have no idea of your age but you could also look at SeniorNet if you qualify.

PC User groups work for me as you get input as to what Operating Systems and Applications other people actually use. This means those people have the experience to help you.

Do you want an overview of how the computer works or are we talking about you getting a job in the IT industry?

Grimy
13-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I just have an interest in computers and want something a bit more in depth than my PC World delivers. I just want to add to my knowledge a bit. Sounds like the Dummies series may be a good starting point.
Not old enough for SeniorNet (ah...how old do you have to be to qualify?!).

winmacguy
13-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Probably 50+ although I gather they have a number of younger helpers there as well.
I found that I learned a lot by standing next to the tech who built my old PC when ever I took it in for repair. I think it helps if you have a specific goal or task that you want to achieve like either you want to;
build and sell PCs
Hardware repair only
IT repair guy for multi OS
become a network technician or some part of the IT field
design and build networks

That way you know what your aiming for.