PDA

View Full Version : New laptop battery

John H
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I have a Fujitsu P5010 notebook. The battery has got to that stage where it will not hold a charge for very long, so I have imported a new battery from the US of A (they are not available here...). It is a lithium ion battery pack.

Normally the laptop is plugged in to the mains with the battery installed. What do you wise folks advise me to do from now on? Should I:
1. treat the new battery the same way (ie just leave it installed all the time), or
2. charge it, remove it, and replace it with the old battery, and just use the new battery when I travel, or
3. leave any battery out of the laptop when it is on mains power, unless the battery needs charging?

I have never been able to get an answer to the question whether it is better to leave a laptop battery in place when the laptop is on mains power, or whether it is better to charge and remove the battery.

Any wisdom on this issue? The only wisdom I have on this issue is that the longer you look at the word 'battery' the more you are sure that it is mis-spelled.

Thanks.

Graham L
12-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Leave the new one in the computer. Lithium batteries are more intelligent than their owners. ;) They know their state of charge, and monitor how much current comes in and goes out.

Unfortunately, they still have an average life of about 500 charge-discharge cycles. But the battery controller makes sure it isn't charged unneccessarily.

John H
12-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Leave the new one in the computer. Lithium batteries are more intelligent than their owners. ;) snip

Oh, you are so kind Graham... Thank you for your confidence in my battery rather than me! ;)

Sounds good.

Thanks again.

John

Bozo
12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
When you first get the new battery, I would advise you to fully charge it, then use your laptop until the battery dies. (make sure you don't set it to standby or something when battery power gets to 1% or watever, just let it go until it dies)
Then fully charge it up again, flatten it, etc.
Do this 2 or 3 times in a row, and you will get a lot more life out of you battery.
Thats what I have done anyway, and my battery is nearly 2 years old now, and still holds its charge for 3+ hours :D

Burnzee
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi John

Just like to repeat TOSHIBA'S advice for laptop batteries.

1. Fully charge battery in laptop.

2. Once a month, disconnect the AC power pack and allow the laptop to discharge the battery until the computer turns off.

3. Restore AC power pack, reboot laptop and allow computer to recharge battery.

4. Repeat next month.

There are a couple more things you can do to extend the battery's life. The enemies of Lithium Batteries are age and heat.

Some people remove the battery in the belief they are prolonging life by taking it away from a heat source. Depending on the laptop, this may or may not be true. Storing the battery in summer tempertures, say in a cupboard or worse in a car will actually shorten the battery's life. A fridge is a better place. Put in a sealed plastic bag first. DO NOT FREEZE!!

Nothing stops the battery from aging however.

Removing the battery from the lappie can create other problems.

1. This leaves a large hole in which dust, grit and god know what, can enter your laptop.

2. If the AC Power suddenly goes off you lose all your work. With the battery in place, you have more than enough time to save the work.

Most Laptop Manufacturers now recommend leaving the battery in your computer for the above reasons.

BURNZEE

A BAD DAY FISHIN' IS STILL BETTER THAN A GREAT DAY AT WORK!!

Graham L
13-09-2007, 03:33 PM
DemonHunter's advice might apply to NiCd batteries (this completes the chemical startup of the cells, so you get the full capacity); much less so to NiMH, and not at all to a Lithium-ion battery.

If you want to store a Li-Ion battery, it recommended to discharge it down to 40% first. But it's best to store it in the computer. ;) Burnzee's objections to removing it are all real.

Once a month cycling isn't going to waste too many C/D cycles, so it's probably a good idea to follow Toshiba's advice.

John H
14-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks folks. Sorry for the late reply; I have been away from home.

I used the lappie with the new battery yesterday, and was really shocked at how bad the old battery must be, given the performance of the new one. The indicator on the desktop that showed how much charge was left in the old battery used to drop rapidly; sometimes in big jumps. With the new battery, the indicator has barely moved in the time in which the old battery would have been flat. And the movement has been really smooth and gradual.

So, I am keeping the battery in the laptop, and will follow Toshiba's advice. I don't think I will do the fridge trick. Someone in the family will probably cook it. :stare:

I guess the problems with the old battery are just down to age rather than leaving it constantly on AC power (except when I am away from home). It looks like 3 years is a reasonable lifespan for a battery and that I should have expected that degree of deterioration in that time.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, just as a matter of gossip, I had to source this battery in USA because FujitsuNZ said they were no longer available (despite the fact they are on Fujitsu USA's website) and Fujitsu dealers in Oz ignored my emails. I got my son's brother in law (who lives in the US of A) to order the battery for me because you can't order these things over the Fujitsu USA website... He asked them to post it to me in NZ, and they said it would cost $US200 to do that (over and above the cost of the battery), so he got them to send it to him in Michigan, and he posted it to me for the cost of $US11.55. It arrived within three days. I doubt I will be a Fujitsu customer any more, despite the fact that this is a ripping laptop. Their after sales support is appalling.