PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of Hicom Ltd?

george12
10-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi people

A PF1 user put me onto a supplier of computer parts called Hicom Ltd. The guy I spoke with on msn (hicomp_sales at hotmail dot com) is called Eugene, although I don't know his last name.

I made an order from the guy because he was around 10% cheaper than my current suppliers, and the PF1 user had made many orders from him without problems. I paid the $2300 for the order into his bank account, the name of which was 'Hicom Ltd'.

After a few weeks, nothing had arrived, so I got the stuff from my regular suppliers and asked for a refund, which he seemed perfectly happy to give. The problem is, after many stories that don't add up and one cheque that was supposedly posted but never arrived, I have no money after several more weeks - perhaps a month.

A quick search of the companies register reveals that there is no such company as Hicom Ltd. There is a Hicom Corp Ltd, which was struck off the register in 1998, and is a web design firm in Mt Wellington. Their phone number rings on and goes to a generic answering machine.

He is most definitely trading as 'Hicom Ltd', so he is illegally misrepresenting himself as a company, right?

The guy apparently has a shop in Parnell, Auckland. He is also supposedly a supplier of QMB computers, but they have not heard of Hicom Ltd, though they do have a part time 1-day-a-week employee called Eugene.

He said to me once that he buys foxconn cases from Zcom, but Zcom have never heard of Hicom Ltd.

I have no phone number, no address, no live e-mail address, no working cellphone number for the guy. Yes, I'm a complete idiot for dealing with him.

I am extremely worried that my money is slipping away. I can't afford to lose $2300, so what should I do next to find the guy and/or get my money back?

I know the Disputes Tribunal won't take it, because there is no dispute. He's perfectly happy to give my refund, he says....

If anyone knows / knows of this guy, any information would be appreciated. He hasn't been on MSN for over a week. Maybe someone lives in Auckland and knows of the shop in Parnell?

Thanks in advance. Also, should I ring the police?

somebody
10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Who was the original PF1 user who put you onto him, and do they have his contact details?

george12
10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
qazwsxokmijn, and no, otherwise I would know them :p

somebody
10-09-2007, 05:46 PM
You may be able to have a talk to your bank to see if they can find out anything, but it'd be highly unlikely.

PaulD
10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Could it have been this guy? http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?t=24452

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Hmmm at this stage I'd phone the police if I were you. Tell me when you have and I'll gladly give the police all I know about Eugene.

I do however doubt he is gone. He is sporadically on/off during the year.

george12
10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Could it have been this guy? http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?t=24452

Oh ****, that's him.

*Phones police ASAP*

Erayd
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Ouch... :groan:

Good luck.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
The police told me they can't do anything and that it's a civil matter.

I've been through trying to get money the 'civil' way (Disputes tribunal etc) and the result was not a cent, and hours of wasted time.

Advice?

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Hold your pants for a sec, George....dug this out from my past convo with Eugene....

I picked up the PC I ordered from him personally at 98 Anzac Avenue in Auckland CBD. He said this place is a storage of some kind.

Also, he has taken his CyberWorld Computer Company (CWCC) from the register. Have a look:
http://www.companies.govt.nz/cms/our-services/news-and-public-notices/public-notices/removal-and-restoration-notices/current-company-removals
So that proves he had a legit company selling computer stuff and services.

Malaysia? The last time he was gone for a month he told me he was in Singapore. And Steven (Wang Biao An)? He told me his name was Eugene....

Other than this, I have nothing else, sorry. I'm sorry it has come to this, I've never encountered such problems dealing with Hicom.

I think he will be back on MSN again - he always does after odd periods of being offline.

And may I also suggest you talk to the bank he is with - ANZ and supply them with Eugene/Steven's account number.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Hold your pants for a sec, George....dug this out from my past convo with Eugene....

I picked up the PC I ordered from him personally at 98 Anzac Avenue in Auckland CBD. He said this place is a storage of some kind.

Also, he has taken his CyberWorld Computer Company (CWCC) from the register. Have a look:
http://www.companies.govt.nz/cms/our-services/news-and-public-notices/public-notices/removal-and-restoration-notices/current-company-removals

Malaysia? The last time he was gone for a month he told me he was in Singapore. And Steven (Wang Biao An)? He told me his name was Eugene....

Other than this, I have nothing else, sorry. I'm sorry it has come to this, I've never encountered such problems dealing with Hicom.

I think he will be back on MSN again - he always does after odd periods of being offline.

And may I also suggest you talk to the bank he is with - ANZ and supply them with Eugene/Steven's account number.

Hmm, unfortunately that does seem to add up:

He uses the company names Cyber World Computers and Hicom PC.

Ringing ANZ now.

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I fear ANZ won't do a thing unless a police fronts up with a warrant....you know, all the privacy acts crap.

It might be worth to contact the companies.govt.nz site and ask if they can give you any addresses/contact numbers Eugene/Steven used to register his company.

EDIT: Oooh, he's online now. I'm scolding him as I type this.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM
ANZ say that his bank account no longer exists and they have no customer called 'Hicom Ltd'.

He's come on MSN now but is not replying.

Edit: Sounds like he's talking to you. Tell him to do a bank transfer RIGHT NOW and take a screen shot.

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 07:37 PM
He says to me he has written a cheque for you. But probably haven't sent it. Typical idiot. Hold on, still scolding him.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
He says to me he has written a cheque for you. But probably haven't sent it. Typical idiot. Hold on, still scolding him.

Cheques are bad, they can bounce. I want a bank deposit now. It only takes a minute!

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
PM me your bank number again George.

He says he has sent you the cheque 2 weeks ago. Must have 'conveniently' got lost in the post.

I've fronted him up with the thread PaulD linked, and he says he can't open it. I then copy&pasted what the poster says, and now he says "brb".

His excuse of having 3 different names is that the other 2 are 'colleagues'. I don't know whether to trust him anymore, either. I've made a few purchases from him myself, with least problems.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
PMd. Thanks.

Erayd
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
NZ post is deemed to be delivered, and in my experience is bloody reliable. He would also have noticed a $2k draw on his cheque account. As there has been no draw, there is no risk in a bank deposit - even if george was trying to defraud him (and he isn't) all he'd need to do is cancel the cheque.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
PM me your bank number again George.

He says he has sent you the cheque 2 weeks ago. Must have 'conveniently' got lost in the post.

I've fronted him up with the thread PaulD linked, and he says he can't open it. I then copy&pasted what the poster says, and now he says "brb".

His excuse of having 3 different names is that the other 2 are 'colleagues'. I don't know whether to trust him anymore, either. I've made a few purchases from him myself, with least problems.

I would highly recommend you don't ever deal with him again. I don't think that guy ever got his money back.

george12
10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
NZ post is deemed to be delivered, and in my experience is bloody reliable. He would also have noticed a $2k draw on his cheque account. As there has been no draw, there is no risk in a bank deposit - even if george was trying to defraud him (and he isn't) all he'd need to do is cancel the cheque.

Oh, I think he knows I haven't got the cheque....

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 07:57 PM
I would highly recommend you don't ever deal with him again. I don't think that guy ever got his money back.
Yeah. Even if he isn't a crook, he's a very unreliable supplier.

Once again George, I apologise for introducing him to you.

I have demanded him to deposit the money NOW. Not replying, though.

EDIT: wait....isn't Wang Biao that dead guy whose body got stuffed in a suitcase and dumped in the sea?

george12
10-09-2007, 07:59 PM
EDIT: wait....isn't Wang Biao that dead guy whose body got stuffed in a suitcase and dumped in the sea?

Uh oh.........

Edit:

Bail has been granted for one of the students charged with the killing of classmate Wan Biao.

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Are you talking to him George on MSN?

He hasn't replied in 10 minutes. Check your bank account tonight at 12 or tomorrow night.

george12
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Are you talking to him George on MSN?

He hasn't replied in 10 minutes. Check your bank account tonight at 12 or tomorrow night.

He is ignoring me too. I'll check my account by I'm not very hopeful.

qazwsxokmijn
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
He says he is checking the status of the cheque.

EDIT: George, I need to go now. Please PM me of any developments you get.

EDIT: He says he cannot trace the cheque as the bank is out of hours. I have demanded him to keep you informed tomorrow.

PaulD
10-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Time for another name change?

The link to his casual business practice was on the first page of Google results for "Hicom site:.nz" (Hint, hint George) Most of the computer related forums have threads about dealers to avoid.

pctek
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
A PF1 user put me onto a supplier of computer parts called Hicom Ltd.

I made an order from the guy because he was around 10% cheaper than my current suppliers, and the PF1 user had made many orders from him without problems. I paid the $2300 for the order into his bank account, the name of which was 'Hicom Ltd'.

After a few weeks, nothing had arrived,

And another PF1 user gave you some RELIABLE decent proper suppliers to deal with.
But no, you ignored my advice about RELIABLE and good customer service and went with unknown and cheap.

I mean, no offence to qazwsxokmijn but he is NOT a tech with experience in ordering from suppliers.
And you ask now. Not before you handed over large sums of money.

Why did I bother............

Cowboys abound, and not just in the retail and repair areas of IT either.

george12
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
He says he is checking the status of the cheque.

EDIT: George, I need to go now. Please PM me of any developments you get.

EDIT: He says he cannot trace the cheque as the bank is out of hours. I have demanded him to keep you informed tomorrow.

He is just stalling. He said to me he'd cancelled that cheque as he sent it to the wrong address.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

george12
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
And another PF1 user gave you some RELIABLE decent proper suppliers to deal with.
But no, you ignored my advice about RELIABLE and good customer service and went with unknown and cheap.

I mean, no offence to qazwsxokmijn but he is NOT a tech with experience in ordering from suppliers.
And you ask now. Not before you handed over large sums of money.

Why did I bother............

Cowboys abound, and not just in the retail and repair areas of IT either.

This happened well before I got your excellent and much-appreciated advice, which I am following so that terrible things like this don't happen again.

george12
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Time for another name change?

The link to his casual business practice was on the first page of Google results for "Hicom site:.nz" (Hint, hint George) Most of the computer related forums have threads about dealers to avoid.

The first thing I did was an extensive Google search. I didn't do site:nz, I though t it would have the same result as searching in NZ.

Renmoo
10-09-2007, 08:27 PM
That is Wan Biao.

Erayd
10-09-2007, 08:35 PM
That is Wan Biao.
...Has anyone here had dealings with a Malaysian bloke called Wan Biao Ang (Steven) before? I have had deals with him before but he has recently screwed me over pretty much for a large some of money by leaving the country without delivering my item. Has anyone else here been affected by this trader? He uses the company names Cyber World Computers and Hicom PC....It's Wan on there too.

Renmoo
10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Err, "Wan" is the first name, "Biao" is the last name of the deceased, I am pretty sure.

[Edit] "Ang" is a common last name among Chinese-Malaysians.

george12
10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I should probably explain that I don't for a second think they are the same person.....

pctek
11-09-2007, 07:53 AM
This happened well before I got your excellent and much-appreciated advice, which I am following so that terrible things like this don't happen again.

Don't deal with Zcom either.

The others I mentioned, you get an account to log in and order.
You'll see the status of your order in the system, once they get paid (with a cash account) you'll see the courier ttracking numbers too and the status moves from Order to Invoice.

And of course, as I said, after sales service is excellent.....

somebody
11-09-2007, 02:05 PM
What's the latest word george? Any sign of the money?

qazwsxokmijn
11-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't see Hicom online on MSN. Hopefully he remembers and have checked the status of the cheque and made a bank deposit to George's account.

george12
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, it hasn't come through yet. I don't know what he's up to right now...

Personally I think the whole cheque thing is made up.

I'm heading to the Community Law Centre this evening to pre-emptively see what my options are if things turn sour.

george12
11-09-2007, 04:57 PM
The Police were much better today. I called and they want me to file a report. They said it will be 'complicated' for me to get the money back, but the Court process will involve him being ordered to pay me.

Basically, them tracking him down is a good start.

qazwsxokmijn, I'll leave it up to you whether you think it would be a good idea to tell him that the police will be on to him if he doesn't pay up (by bank deposit).

somebody
11-09-2007, 05:02 PM
The Police were much better today. I called and they want me to file a report. They said it will be 'complicated' for me to get the money back, but the Court process will involve him being ordered to pay me.

Basically, them tracking him down is a good start.

qazwsxokmijn, I'll leave it up to you whether you think it would be a good idea to tell him that the police will be on to him if he doesn't pay up (by bank deposit).

Posting all of this on a publicly viewable internet forum probably isn't a good idea either...

plod
11-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Posting all of this on a publicly viewable internet forum probably isn't a good idea either...

thats what I was thinking

Erayd
11-09-2007, 05:16 PM
No? If anything it'll provide him with an incentive - impending doom out in the public domain for the world to see.

plod
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
No? If anything it'll provide him with an incentive - impending doom out in the public domain for the world to see.

My point and I think somebody else's point is that now you have given him the heads up to try and cover his tracks. All this would have better revealed after george gets a result:2cents:

george12
11-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Is it worth requesting the thread be removed?

plod
11-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Is it worth requesting the thread be removed?

Not at all, just think of this as another lesson learnt. I have seen you learn quite a few, you must be getting wiser;)

zqwerty
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Don't see why not, shaming rip-off artists is a good idea, if he wishes he could come on and explain his viewpoint. This is what is wrong with the society in general, too much anonymity, we need to get back to a village type situation where a potential criminal is outed before he can rip off too many people.

I am all for dishonest businessmen being outed.

--Wolf--
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Man, I can't believe I just read through 5 pages of this, it's like a damn movie!

I could've sworn something extremely similar to this was on either Fair Go, 20/20 or 60 Minutes not so long ago. Maybe try them if there is no luck? Meh, TV always works better than forums.

zqwerty
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Yeah go on Fair Go George 12, that is a lot of money to just get scammed out of, especially for a young man such as yourself.

qazwsxokmijn
11-09-2007, 06:47 PM
George, I have sent you 2 texts and a PM with my contact details.

george12
12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I forgot what my reply was, it got lost in the collapse of PF1....

If the police decide not to investigate this, I might try going to the media (Fair Go etc), although I'm not sure if anyone would be interested.

He knows I've got the police involved, and I'm not sure what the implications of that are. They have a lot of information which, hopefully, they can piece together and catch the guy.

Trev
12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
From various threads I have read on this forum George12, I see you have had various problems. I think that you should take some of the good advice given here. Yes Fair Go would be very very very interested in this.
Here is the link to fair go's contact form http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411879/726685
I also think this thread should be left open for eveyone to read and for people to learn from it.
:)

Sick Puppy
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I think the other thing to consider is damage control for other people considering using this guy's services- hell, I've just screened through all six pages, found it pretty useful (and amusing- well, the bit where he's getting abused through MSN was anyway), and there's nothing to say he wasn't continuing to do the same thing through another name... just keeps us all on our toes, is all...

george12
12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Yep, and it's #1 on Google searching for 'Hicom' :D

Trev, I have a lot of problems because I do a lot of stuff. Yes, I am learning each time though, and it's all worth it (although this isn't...).

I'll fill in the Fair Go form, it will be very interesting what they make of it.

PaulD
12-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I'll fill in the Fair Go form, it will be very interesting what they make of it.

If it's anything like the dodgy roof painters preying on old ladies, Fair Go will do 5 minutes fronting the guy on his doorstep where he'll agree to paying the money then a year later they'll do a catch up saying that he never did and has disappeared.

Your best hope is that he has the money and pays you off soon to get rid of this attention.

Agent_24
12-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I friend of mine also bought off this guy, "steve" - he seemed ok the first couple of times but then the couriers "lost" the stuff, and other BS. I had contacted him too for parts but fortunately I never bought anything off him as I found normal retail stores were actually cheaper

george12
12-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I friend of mine also bought off this guy, "steve" - he seemed ok the first couple of times but then the couriers "lost" the stuff, and other BS. I had contacted him too for parts but fortunately I never bought anything off him as I found normal retail stores were actually cheaper

Your friend wouldn't happen to have any contact details, would they?

Agent_24
12-09-2007, 04:53 PM
probably, he's on this forum, username motorbyclist. you could try PM him, but I'll ask him also

Renmoo
12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Yep, and it's #1 on Google searching for 'Hicom' :D
Come on guys, let's maintain the Google bombing! :xmouth:

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Your friend wouldn't happen to have any contact details, would they?

i'll try find his details, see if i've still got them

he may be situated at 25 anzac ave

--Wolf--
12-09-2007, 06:13 PM
And the plot thickens.....

george12
12-09-2007, 06:37 PM
And the plot thickens.....

It does indeed, because Philip (qazwsxokmijn) once met him at 98 Anzac Ave, very close by.

That's a building with a couple of companies in it, one of those multi-level type things that probably has a list of companies on the wall by the lift.... You get what I mean.

--Wolf--
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Time for a visit me thinks.

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
yea i remember trying to find him afterwards and couldn't find him - he met me on the street the first time, apparently from 27 or whatever the building next to 25 was

edit: now i think about it, it may have been 98, it was a while ago and i may be confusing his address with anzac day lol

time to check gmail archive!

qazwsxokmijn
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
yea i remember trying to find him afterwards and couldn't find him - he met me on the street the first time, apparently from 27
Now I remember I had to call him on one of his cellphones (which is now dead) to tell him I was there. He then came out of no where 5 minutes later with my PC.

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Now I remember I had to call him on one of his cellphones (which is now dead) to tell him I was there. He then came out of no where 5 minutes later with my PC.

same story here

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 07:04 PM
ok, when i dealt with him around march 2006 he claimed to work for a group/company called "evatek"

the email - evatek at gmail.com - came with the name "christine yeat" but the guy said he was steve

he gave me track'n'trace numbers for my orders, but i suppose we was probably working me up to a bigger purchase

for the record - by memory - all i got stung for was missing screws for a pc case and fans, and a faulty mouse. the screws kept getting "lost" in the post, he wouldn't let me pick them up, and was trying to get me to buy some more stuff.
and according to email and refreshed memory, i bought several fans and one was the wrong colour, along with no screws and the spaz mouse, and i know that never got resolved

also, i read that i bought a video card for $250 and he never sent it, but i can't find any more messages as to if i got my money back or he sent something else...

george12
12-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I guess he either lives or works somewhere in Anzac Avenue, and doesn't want people to know exactly where. That's quite a useful lead.

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 07:22 PM
no, i've found more....

Christine Yeat <evatek@gmail.com>
to me

2/23/06

As msn convo, please make payment below :)

Bank Name : ANZ New Zealand
Account Number : 010202 - 0034516 - 46
Account Name : Christine Yeat

Pickup address
98 Anzac AVenue
Downtown Auckland

Cell ph : 021 2371860

Cheers :)

i told him i'd arrive in an hour but he insisted i call him on arrival

edit

add me in msn at evatek_sales@hotmail.com

Myth
12-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I do wonder if this guy is also trading on TradeMe?
If so, does anyone know his details?

However, if he is and TradeMe were advised, they would only shut his account down. He would probably appear later under a different name, unknown.
Better the devil you know ;)

bob_doe_nz
12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
If he is scamming on TM, you go to scambusters.co.nz

Agent_24
12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
no, i've found more....

Christine Yeat <evatek@gmail.com>
to me

2/23/06

i told him i'd arrive in an hour but he insisted i call him on arrival

edit

Where/Who was it you found out about him from again?

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
ah, he was a seller on trademe

i asked him a question on an auction and he posted his email

qazwsxokmijn
12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Yeh, I think he's from trademe too. That's how I got him, but I can't remember at all the auction or if he placed a feedback on me.

motorbyclist
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
i know i didn't buy anything off him via trademe so can't check my feedback, but i remember he was selling complete systems. it's too old now to check my "lost auctions"

it appears that i began contacting him just after or during getting broadband and my gmail account, so i might be missing some important info...

--Wolf--
12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
And the plot thickens....

(Sorry, gotta do this, good read though, it's like scammers + star trek)

Agent_24
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
A search of Evatek on TM finds that the whoever had that username got it banned (probably was the same guy)

george12
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
That bank account is the same as the one I used, up to the suffix, which was 00 for me. Interesting. Odd that it's not his name. Maybe he can't get an NZ bank account...

Edit: I'll pass the Trade Me account on to the police. Maybe TM has some contact details. This is more proof that he's been ripping many more people off.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:01 AM

I am Cataclysm_NZ from Overclockers NZ Forums, the thread that I started about Hicom PC is mine. He has blocked me on MSN and I have no means of getting through to him via email. The address "98 Anzac Avenue" is where I went 3 times to pick up the PC I bought from him and each time he said he was there and he wasn't. I then later went to another address to pick it up 3 weeks after ordering it off Trade Me, where he appeared to have thrown on a shirt and tie in an effort to make him look professional, although still very scruffy. I am able to provide some sort of description as to what he looks like, and two possible addresses that he could be staying at now. I went to his house after I ordered two graphics cards from him. I had paid the money already and I went to talk to him in person regarding the graphics cards. I went to the same address as the one I picked up my PC from and the new tenants said that he had moved back to Malaysia. Funny that. I will do anything in my power to help you catch this fellow. He must be stopped.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Also, regarding the addresses, they are;

26 Mary Street, Mount Eden, Auckland.
5 Welsh Street, Mt Roskill, Auckland.

I have been to both addresses, Mary Street is the address I picked up my PC from and went to in order to sort out my graphics cards that never turned up. Just to clarify he also contacted me on the same email he contacted you on george. 'hicomp_sales@hotmail.com'

george12
13-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi,

I'm glad to hear you're onboard, I looked at the feedback of his banned Trade Me account and my suspicions were confirmed - we're not the only people who have lost money to this guy.

Was the Mary St address a house, or a block of flats?

Philip (qazwsxokmijn on here) and I have determined that he must be closely tied to QMB, as he was at one point selling things directly from QMB (a customer once got their stuff with a QMB invoice) well below QMB's retail prices (on Trade Me).

This means, I think, that he must have been a QMB employee at the time, or had one that was getting a staff discount or something and sending things out for him. There is a QMB employee called Eugene who works there on Saturdays from 9-5.

I'm sure that this 'Eugene' is either our guy (who called himself Steven when he talked to you), or that they (Eugene and Steven) are friends and are working closely together.

I plan to call QMB on Saturday, and find out who this Eugene is. If it's our guy I will call the police immediately, and try to get them to go round there right away. I'm not sure that they will, but in any case, knowing where this guy works would be a huge help.

I will post any new information in this thread. If you want to talk to me outside of it, you can PM me, e-mail me at g.dewar at pc-care dot co dot nz, or call/text 027 344 0353.

I expect to hear from the police tomorrow about what they are going to do about this. Eugene knows the police are involved (if he's logged into MSN in the last 24 hours or so), and I'm not sure whether this will make him front up with some cash, or try to run away.

Again, thanks very much for getting involved with this. The fact that you were also ripped off was about the only thing that made the police take this compaint seriously. They told me that usually such things would be treated from a "buyer beware" type of viewpoint (which I personally think is rather pathetic), although they didn't guarantee me that that wouldn't be the case with this.

He said that all the information I had, and the fact that the guy was doing this to other people as well, should tip the balance and justify an investigation.

qazwsxokmijn
13-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Cheers, Vendetta. George and I are working together as best we could to catch this clown. It seems he may have blocked us too.

We have sourced it down and we found that he may have or still is working at QMB, and sell items he buys using staff discount privately. However, we believe Eugene/Steven isn't his real name.

When we do catch him, may I ask for Motorbyclist and you Vendetta, to write some sort of claim against Hicom? George and I will also do just that, so Hicom gets the heaviest penalty we could give him.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Mary St was a large block of flats, we never ended up going to that address, but it was given on the statement I got for my PC which I found quite strange as it was different to the address I picked up from. But the 5 Welsh St was where he was definately living at the time. I went inside and he had a whole load of PC part boxes new and old in his room, piled to the roof. I'm not sure if he's moved back in, but it might be worth while popping round to see? I think his cousin or something is looking after the house as I went there and the new tenants tried to tell me in broken english that he was a bad man and mentioned something about being family.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Cheers, Vendetta. George and I are working together as best we could to catch this clown. It seems he may have blocked us too.

We have sourced it down and we found that he may have or still is working at QMB, and sell items he buys using staff discount privately. However, we believe Eugene/Steven isn't his real name.

When we do catch him, may I ask for Motorbyclist and you Vendetta, to write some sort of claim against Hicom? George and I will also do just that, so Hicom gets the heaviest penalty we could give him.

Most certainly, I know I won't get my money back as I have no proof of the deal as it wasn't a trade me deal, it was over MSN which was kinda silly on my part. I'd rather that he was dealt with so noone else has to go through this. Feel free to email me at seancurran at orcon dot net dot nz or msn on the same email address.

qazwsxokmijn
13-09-2007, 12:35 AM
that he was a bad man and mentioned something about being family.
You should show this quote to the police, George. It seems like even Hicom's cousin is up to him....

I'm determined to catch Hicom and help you two get your money back. I've recently been scammed on trademe by another member, thankfully it wasn't as much as you guys, but I know I was frustrated with the loss of $250, let alone $640 or $2300.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Nope not a cent. I actually went on all occasions with my father who is currently overseas for the week, he also called him on numerous occasions regarding a few issues, he will know more. I have alot more information I can tell just trying to pinpoint the useful stuff. I'll keep posting lads.

george12
13-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Most certainly, I know I won't get my money back as I have no proof of the deal as it wasn't a trade me deal, it was over MSN which was kinda silly on my part. I'd rather that he was dealt with so noone else has to go through this.

Oh dear, I'm in the same situation (MSN messenger).

However, I really do hope to get my money back as the thought of losing $2300 to this horrible guy is hard to bear.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Unless you have MSN logs or transaction details/records, it will be very hard to do so. I actually have the bank statement sitting infront of me showing the amount of money and the date of when I transfered money for the graphics cards. Would this be of use?

qazwsxokmijn
13-09-2007, 12:40 AM
I actually have the bank statement sitting infront of me showing the amount of money and the date of when I transfered money for the graphics cards. Would this be of use?
Does it have his account number? The police could use it to front up ANZ and demand contact details.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Let me check

george12
13-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Nope not a cent. I actually went on all occasions with my father who is currently overseas for the week, he also called him on numerous occasions regarding a few issues, he will know more. I have alot more information I can tell just trying to pinpoint the useful stuff. I'll keep posting lads.

Absolutely everything that has anything to do with the situation would be useful. I'll compile all the new information tomorrow and take it straight to the police station.

I'm relying on my MSN conversation history as proof that the deal occured, as well as the bank deposit I made, although I'm only worrying about catching him currently.

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Ah here we go.

Its dated as 3rd November 2006.

Amount was $562.00 (I was trying to pull a cheap wholesale deal to resell on trade me, unfortunately I didnt think and listed the item before I bought it, he said he drop shipped).

03 November FC01-0202-0034516-46

Thats the account number I deposited to.

george12
13-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I have it too. It's in my MSN history.

ANZ
Hicom Ltd
01 0202 0034516 00

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 12:49 AM
But that account is no longer in use?

george12
13-09-2007, 12:53 AM
ANZ say it's closed, and Hicom Ltd is not a customer. That's all they'd tell me though, and they probably shouldn't have even said that.

Hicom Ltd isn't a company either.

qazwsxokmijn
13-09-2007, 01:02 AM
ANZ might still have his addresses and contact details. I'm afraid you'll need a police warrant in order to force it out of ANZ however. If the police takes this up, I'm sure they'll go to ANZ and produce that warrant.

motorbyclist
13-09-2007, 01:29 AM
yeah i was smart enough to keep receipts as such on email but still discussed alot of the "where is my screws" and "got a price for this" stuff on msn.

all he got off me was time and patience and a $20 mouse plus a handful of screws so i don't think the cops care about that - although the faulty mouse would come under the consumer goods act or whatever it's called....

if he gets wind that the cops are onto him he'll probably fly back to malaysia.

i wish i could remember his face, but frankly all i remember at this stage is that he looked "asian", and he was young (could've passed for a uni student)

somebody
13-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Guys - can I suggest once again to take all of your discussions offline (i.e. to email). You're giving this guy a nice commentary of what you're doing, what "evidence" you have against him, and what you plan to tell the police. You're giving him ample time to make up stories and counter-arugments to everything you're saying. Even better, have this thread removed for the time being, and have it put back once you've resolved this situation.

Agent_24
13-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I concurr

Vendetta
13-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I have an address however I doubt it'd be smart to go there alone. We have the address of a possible family member.

plod
13-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Guys - can I suggest once again to take all of your discussions offline (i.e. to email). You're giving this guy a nice commentary of what you're doing, what "evidence" you have against him, and what you plan to tell the police. You're giving him ample time to make up stories and counter-arugments to everything you're saying. Even better, have this thread removed for the time being, and have it put back once you've resolved this situation.

We should really just let george learn another lesson. Who conducts business through MSN anyway:confused:

george12
13-09-2007, 12:38 PM
We should really just let george learn another lesson. Who conducts business through MSN anyway:confused:

I don't know about you Plod, but my financial situation doesn't allow me to just write $2300 off as "another lesson". Sure, conducting business over MSN is stupid, but that doesn't change anything about what this guy is doing to people.

This guy was Philip's supplier of PC stuff for over a year, and that was enough for me to trust him. I won't do that again, obviously.

This thread has introduced me to people who have met the guy etc and been pretty essential, so posting it wasn't a bad move IMO.

Trev
13-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't know about you Plod, but my financial situation doesn't allow me to just write $2300 off as "another lesson". Sure, conducting business over MSN is stupid, but that doesn't change anything about what this guy is doing to people.

This guy was Philip's supplier of PC stuff for over a year, and that was enough for me to trust him. I won't do that again, obviously.

This thread has introduced me to people who have met the guy etc and been pretty essential, so posting it wasn't a bad move IMO.

I concur.
:)

plod
13-09-2007, 12:49 PM

by no means am I saying write off the money. The thread is ok, it has served it's purpose. But having people post private info on the thread instead of PM is a bit off. I am just saying there is some stuff that is better left off the thread and thats for your sake not his.

george12
13-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Ah, that I agree with.

Especially any plans on dealing with the guy should be kept to PMs or Msn.

plod
13-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Ah, that I agree with.

Especially any plans on dealing with the guy should be kept to PMs or Msn.

If it was me I would be quietly making my way to auckland and putting another asian in a suitcase

george12
13-09-2007, 02:04 PM
If it was me I would be quietly making my way to auckland and putting another asian in a suitcase

Sssssh.

If he knows that he might run away!

Taurus
17-12-2007, 09:27 PM
all he got off me was time and patience and a $20 mouse plus a handful of screws so i don't think the cops care about that - although the faulty mouse would come under the consumer goods act or whatever it's called....

if he gets wind that the cops are onto him he'll probably fly back to malaysia.

i wish i could remember his face, but frankly all i remember at this stage is that he looked "asian", and he was young (could've passed for a uni student)

All the windows of a friend's friend's house were smashed by thugs and the police can't even be bothered. I don't expect them to act on your case.

Wang Biao sounds more like from China rather than Malaysia. I am pretty sure he's from China. Chinese Asians who own computer shops or sell computer parts or electronic goods online are mostly from China.

somebody
17-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey George, I know this is an old thread, but what was your final outcome, if you managed to get one?

motorbyclist
17-12-2007, 11:49 PM
All the windows of a friend's friend's house were smashed by thugs and the police can't even be bothered. I don't expect them to act on your case.

nor do i, that's why i didn't bother with the police and just left it

qazwsxokmijn
18-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Hey George, I know this is an old thread, but what was your final outcome, if you managed to get one?
Unfortunately 'Eugene' or whatever his real name is has been in Singapore since last year, most likely meaning he had every intention to defraud people from his contact list. His NZ bank account however was cleared the very next day George's $2300 came in, meaning he must have an associate who may still reside in NZ.

I fear he now operates under my name - Philip, and while George and the cop assured me he can hardly do anything with just a name, I'm still nervous about it.

Looks like he won't be able to come back to NZ, though, so I guess that's a positive....not?

somebody
18-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Unfortunately 'Eugene' or whatever his real name is has been in Singapore since last year, most likely meaning he had every intention to defraud people from his contact list. His NZ bank account however was cleared the very next day George's $2300 came in, meaning he must have an associate who may still reside in NZ.

I fear he now operates under my name - Philip, and while George and the cop assured me he can hardly do anything with just a name, I'm still nervous about it.

Looks like he won't be able to come back to NZ, though, so I guess that's a positive....not?

I suppose at least the police now know who he is... I assume that's how they blacklisted him at the Immigration Service??

george12
18-12-2007, 02:31 AM
I suppose at least the police now know who he is... I assume that's how they blacklisted him at the Immigration Service??

Not sure if they got round to that yet. Things have been slow.

They know who he is, not that it's any use now.

I have little hope of ever getting anything back, but not no hope.

SurferJoe46
18-12-2007, 02:28 PM
8 days have passed..is there a new episode to read?

That's just very strange...I post this question and then several other posts in-between pop in..and they are out of sequence too...strange!

I bet it's that clock again!

Enigmur
18-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Somebody on the forum in Auckland should have made an order with him and gone to pick up with one of the locals who were ripped off – then ‘convinced’ him to repay the money.

There isn’t much you can do when ordering from another city, but the locals in Auckland who went to pick up – this guy sounds more like a drug dealer than a computer parts dealer, handing parts over on the street…

PaulD
18-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Somebody on the forum in Auckland should have made an order with him and gone to pick up with one of the locals who were ripped off – then ‘convinced’ him to repay the money.

It's called "cutting your losses". The amount Hicom owes wouldn't start to pay the lawyer's bills once your assault case started :D

Enigmur
19-12-2007, 01:29 PM
It's called "cutting your losses". The amount Hicom owes wouldn't start to pay the lawyer's bills once your assault case started :D

I didn’t mean assault… I meant take him out for a beer (his shout) and discuss over a plate of wedges :D

motorbyclist
21-12-2007, 02:06 PM

they should let him back into NZ

and as soon as he arrives take him into custody, charge him for fraud and then fine/imprision him appropriately

something tells me he won't be coming back for a while....