PDA

View Full Version : True spread sheet x-y graph?

Zoober
07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Any one know of a plugin for excel or quattro pro (or even a stand alone program) that will do a true x-y graph?

Excel and quattro pro only seem to be able to do charts (ie the y-values are independent of the y-axis scale but the x-values and x-axis scale are locked together.)

What I would like to be able to do is to first set the x-axis scale and y-axis scale separately and then plot each data point according to its respective x and y value.

You know just like we used to do at school on a piece of graph paper.

Example:
y-axis scale $0 to $100 in $10 steps
x-axis scale 0 to 18 months in 2 month steps
data points y - x
$2 - 1mth
$9 - 2mths
$45 - 7.5mths
$51 - 8mths
$64 - 9.2mths
$95 - 11mths

Seems simple enough eh. Give it a try on your spread sheet and let me know if you have any success.

cheers zoob

beeswax34
07-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Not doing your homework for you:)

Ritchie
08-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi Zoober
You don't need any add-ons to do this in Excel: have your data in columns with the 'months' values in the left column, select both columns then Insert/Chart/XY(Scatter); select the "Scatter, compares pairs of values" option;Next; and it should be there for you to customise with gridlines, scales, trendlines etc. Let me know how you get on, cheers, rtch

Zoober
08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi Ritchie,

Thanks a heap for your input. I forgot to mention that my version of Excel is pretty ancient. I could follow your instructions ok it just took me a couple of extra steps.

Once I turned off the auto scaling feature I could manually scale the x axis and y axis independent of the x-y data values. So I think this must have been why I was having a problem before.

Scatter works well as a line graph. Any suggestions on how to convert it to an area graph? This is not an option in my scatter menu.

zoob