PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen and other probs

Lindy
07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi...been driven crazy by computer problems and wondering if anyone knows any 'healing'.
After I have been using computer and leave on - about 85% of the time when I return, the screen is blank, blue with no access to the mouse pointer (where would I point it anyway with absence of all icons?). The Monitor power light is orange. To use computer or turn it off, I have to press restart.

Have downloaded ZoneAlarm again after reading benefits in PC World...but to access any on-line sites, I have to click on allow twice, not once when I previously had ZoneAlarm downloaded.

When I access Internet Explorer, a Microsoft Phising Filter sign appears - "Help make your browser more secure" - what is this please? (it has only just started.
cheers Lindy :)

FoxyMX
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
How long are you away from the computer before this happens? It sounds like it is going into hibernation which many desktop computers struggle to recover from.

Turn hibernation off if it is enabled.

When I access Internet Explorer, a Microsoft Phising Filter sign appears - "Help make your browser more secure" - what is this please? (it has only just started.

Have you run an up-to-date anti-virus program? Download, update and run some anti-spyware programs as well, ie Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy.

wainuitech
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
What version of Windows do you have XP or Vista?

beeswax34
07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
First of all, get Avast AV, Spybot-SD and CCleaner and run full scans with them and see if any problems come up and fix them.

And then you can let us know what came up and see if a root cause can be found. Of course you could just switch to Firefox and solve all your issues:)

pctek
08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Have downloaded ZoneAlarm again after reading benefits in PC World...but to access any on-line sites, I have to click on allow twice, not once when I previously had ZoneAlarm downloaded.

cheers Lindy :)

I prefer the older versions of ZA.
So long as you're not having problems with it though.........

IE is trying to be helpful by scanning the site first to see if it is a dodsgy site.

Nothing to panic over but I'd use Firefox or something rather than IE>

Lindy
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi
I have AVG, Ad-Aware & Spybot which I run daily. Computer runs XP.
Time to 'blank' varies - the other night I left it on all night to defragment and it showed full screen next morning, other times maybe an hour.
Will download Firefox and CCleaner.
Is Avast better than AVG?
(they put me down as a 'Junior member' wish I was - these computers drive me crazy!!!)
cheers Lindy

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Bloody lag took its time!

I changed it but it did it twice.

beeswax34
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Yup, Avast is better than AVG.

BTW Speedy, I think you mean "Even Avast home is better than AVG"

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Even Avast Home (http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html)

Which is free, is better than AVG.

Its similar to Avast pro, there's only 3 -4 differences, between the 2, nothing you'll miss.

You have to register this (its free, every so often).