PDA

View Full Version : Good SpyWare

Parrott
06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Could you please suggest a good dependable spyware?

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2007, 09:59 AM
You mean anti-spyware program dont you?

Dont think you'll want spyware.

If you mean anti-spyware, there's Rogueremover in my sig, for rogue programs. which is free, Spybot search and destroy, (which has just been updated to 1.5), which is free.

And Trojan remover in my sig, but its not free forever.

Rob99
06-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Windows Genuine Advantage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

Microsoft say this is Good Spyware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage#Spyware_accusations)

FoxyMX
06-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Add SpywareBlaster to Speedy's list. Prevents spyware installing in the first place.

Parrott
06-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks you all for the advice.

apsattv
06-09-2007, 09:33 PM
You mean anti-spyware program dont you?

Dont think you'll want spyware.

If you mean anti-spyware, there's Rogueremover in my sig, for rogue programs. which is free, Spybot search and destroy, (which has just been updated to 1.5), which is free.

And Trojan remover in my sig, but its not free forever.

How about adding Prev X to your tag?

Master of Criminals
10-09-2007, 09:02 PM
well!! if we install Windows Genuine Advantage on our system. after installing it how can we remove it, and other thing what kind a problams we have to face in the future from microsoft r ....

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
How about adding Prev X to your tag?

I would if I could, but I cant add anything else.

--Wolf--
11-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Spyware Terminator. Real time protection ftw!

apsattv
12-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Spyware Doctor is very good. I just ran adaware and spybot over one machine they said was clean. Spyware Doctor found 282 infections.. and they were all legit

bob_doe_nz
12-09-2007, 01:03 AM
I would if I could, but I cant add anything else.

use tiny urls. e.g tinyurl.com

Greven
12-09-2007, 07:54 AM
Spyware Doctor is very good. I just ran adaware and spybot over one machine they said was clean. Spyware Doctor found 282 infections.. and they were all legit

Spyware doctor slows computers down almost as bad as Norton

autechre
12-09-2007, 08:02 AM

It's pretty well known by now that Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D won't catch everything on their own, but combined they will get most nasties.

wratterus
12-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Spyware Doctor is alright, but it sometimes doesn't like Norton or AVG. Have seen a Spyware Doctor/Norton internet Security combo happily chew up 350MB of RAM, and 100% CPU. And the customer was wondering why his PC was slow...:xmouth:

apsattv
12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm talking about for a cleanup, not using it running in the background fulltime.
Which is unecessary if you are patched up properly.

rob_on_guitar
15-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Ok Im trying not hijack this thread,but i think this is relevant.

Is it ok to run 2 different programs at once? Or would they recognise each other as spyware?

I ask as Spybot and spinach both picked up different things (Spinach actually found alot more then spybot).

Also whatever the answer is would the same principal apply to Antivirus?

apsattv
15-09-2007, 10:11 PM
As a followup I updated spyware doctor. It picked up a furthur 137 infections..

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Ok Im trying not hijack this thread,but i think this is relevant.

Is it ok to run 2 different programs at once? Or would they recognise each other as spyware?

Cant see why not.

I know some AV programs will conflict with each other, I found out the other day, when trying to remove Symantec AV, from this laptop here.

I couldnt remove it, as it needed a password to uninstall it, which I didnt know.

I copied Avast to the laptop and installed it, the install detected another AV program on the system, and it brought up a warning, saying it may conflict with Symantec's.

But I installed it anyway. It still ran, but disabled most of the options. So, I uninstalled it again.

I know Avast doesnt like ZA, if it installs with the Spyware / AV option.

(ZA's AV is based on Kaspersky).

Otherwise, they'll conflict, and you'll know.

The system will freeze soon after, if you enable the Spyware/AV option in ZA.

If Avast is installed, and you'll have to reboot to fix it.

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2007, 06:09 AM
I ask as Spybot and spinach both picked up different things (Spinach actually found alot more then spybot).

That may depend on what or how Spinach picks things up.

If it has something similar to Teatimer (if Teatimer is running), it may cause probs.

FoxyMX
16-09-2007, 07:15 AM

You can run as many anti-spyware programs as you like. It is common for them to pick up things that the others have missed which is why it is a good idea to run at least two, preferably three or four when doing a clean up.

I am not familiar with Spinach but be aware that there are so-called rogue "anti-spyware" programs that detect false positives in order to get you to buy them.

Only one anti-virus program should be run at a time as they will clash with each other, each thinking that the other is a virus, and can actually miss viruses in this way. You can have more than one installed, just not enabled at the same time. It is better however to just have one good one installed.

You can run an online AV whilst having an AV installed on your computer. Running an online AV is a good idea to see whether your current AV is doing its job.

rob_on_guitar
16-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh ok, thanks Speedy and Foxy, Spinach comes free with my slingshot account. Its pretty good as its the full version not a freebie or demo.

But thanks again, answered exactly what I wanted to know:thumbs:

coolman
18-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Could you please suggest a good dependable spyware?

Kaspersky! No.1 in the world:http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130869/article.html