PDA

View Full Version : NewsletterF1

Renmoo
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Dear all. Seeing that various interesting events often crop up amongst us PF1ers (e.g. PCtek is expanding her business), I am proposing that we have a newsletter (monthly? fortnightly?) that highlight these occurrences. The intention of this thread is to see who is interested in having a newsletter that is dedicated to the happenings in PF1.

On top of this poll, I would be glad to know who is interested to be part of the editing committee.

This idea is still in its infantile stage. As a result, if lack of time or dedication overcome all of us, the whole suggestion could be abandoned and forgotten.

Cheers :)

Greg
05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Nice idea, but nah - I think we get enough junk in our inboxes already. Besides it's easy enough to find topical info already via this forum.

Renmoo
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Nice idea, but nah - I think we get enough junk in our inboxes already. Besides it's easy enough to find topical info already via this forum.
Hey Greg, thanks for your input. :)

Actually, I don't mean to have the newsletter be delivered to e-mails. I am thinking of having it look something like Billy T's Monday humour, where it is up to you if you decide to view the jokes.

Anyway, this is what I have in mind (or something similar): http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Publication1.png

beeswax34
05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Looks good but since we're fine already... If you want, then good on you:thumbs:

Greg
06-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Anyway, this is what I have in mind (or something similar): http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Publication1.png

Hmmm. I'm warming to the idea. Biggest drawback I think would be the amount of time it would need to dedicate to keeping it up to date and topical.

Jen
06-09-2007, 09:17 AM
In the years gone by (:rolleyes: ) tweak'e used to post a weekly tech news update thread. New chipset drivers, graphic drivers, etc or other interesting releases. I know it took him a bit of time to research all this, which is why I think he stopped doing it.

Maybe something like that instead?

Renmoo
06-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmmm. I'm warming to the idea. Biggest drawback I think would be the amount of time it would need to dedicate to keeping it up to date and topical.

In the years gone by (:rolleyes: ) tweak'e used to post a weekly tech news update thread. New chipset drivers, graphic drivers, etc or other interesting releases. I know it took him a bit of time to research all this, which is why I think he stopped doing it.

Maybe something like that instead?
Good morning to you two.

Greg: I am acutely aware of the time and effort needed for the newsletter, hence I am proposing (perhaps?) a monthly-based publication that surrounds on PressF1 online community.

Some of us who lead a busy life may not have the time to look through the past two weeks of threads and topics. Again, the newsletter could aim to highlight interesting questions that were raised by us or perhaps talk about daily life issues that are discussed under Chat.

Jen: That's called PCWorld NZ Magazine. :D

:2cents:

rob_on_guitar
06-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Im with ya on that one.

FoxyMX
06-09-2007, 12:33 PM

No offence, but that's horrible! :yuck:

If you've got the time to do the job then it might be a fun project. :)

Just don't use that template. :lol:

FoxyMX
06-09-2007, 12:38 PM

tweak'e copied and pasted those tech news posts from Monty's site, he didn't research all that stuff himself. ;)

Well, not until Monty stopped then he did do a couple until he discovered just how time consuming it was to research them himself. :lol:

wratterus
06-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree with Foxy. Pretty awful. I think it's a good idea, just not in that kind of format.

A simply sticky/locked post one a month or so would be quite adequate. Just very time consuming for the person doing the research. I think it's a great idea. :)

chiefnz
07-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Dear all. Seeing that various interesting events often crop up amongst us PF1ers (e.g. PCtek is expanding her business), I am proposing that we have a newsletter (monthly? fortnightly?) that highlight these occurrences. The intention of this thread is to see who is interested in having a newsletter that is dedicated to the happenings in PF1.

On top of this poll, I would be glad to know who is interested to be part of the editing committee.

This idea is still in its infantile stage. As a result, if lack of time or dedication overcome all of us, the whole suggestion could be abandoned and forgotten.

That's why we have a General PC World Chat forum... for topics of that nature and it seems to be working fine.. not to mention the fact it doesn't clog up your mailbox any further.

Cheers

Renmoo
07-09-2007, 06:28 PM
No offence, but that's horrible! :yuck:

If you've got the time to do the job then it might be a fun project. :)

Just don't use that template. :lol:
Hehe, t'was a template that I picked from Microsoft Publisher. :p

All right, this time I have spent a few minutes longer: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/renew.png

Erayd
07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Slightly more readable, but the font is waaaay too large. I also don't like the name. 10/10 for effort though :D. I'd be happy to lend a hand with template design if you like, and I have the layered source files for the F1 logos.

winmacguy
07-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Very novice like in appearance and the text in the columns needs to be justified to avoid that ragged edge look. Smaller font size would help too.

Renmoo
07-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I have not done anything like this before, so... I have no experience whatsoever with publishing.

But anyway, the objective of the publication is to show what I meant by newsletter - a summary of happenings. I agree that PCWorldChat has everything that you need, but sometimes it is a bummer to flip through 7 pages of threads just to understand what "Peel-me advertisement" is all about.

winmacguy
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Your starting ok, just needs a bit of refinement. :)