PDA

View Full Version : Wants to dial up

16-03-2001, 10:26 AM
I have just recieved a new laptop and downloaded a couple of updates from microsoft and also notive i have live update from Norton. Dont know what I have done but every now and then my dial up box comes on screen and wants me to connect. Apart from saying yes and seeing where it takes me ? Any advice?

thanks

16-03-2001, 11:56 AM
I'd let it dial to see where it wants to go. Then you can work out which program is doing it.

16-03-2001, 12:39 PM
That would be Norton Liveupdate trying to connect to the web for an update.

I've configured my NAV to check for update every day and therefore the first user of my home PC for the day will see the modem dial up.

16-03-2001, 08:06 PM
I have experienced something very similar and it turned out to be a virus. Make sure your virus signatures from Norton are up to date and run a scan. If nothing shows, as another responder has suggested, check the Live Update settings as you may have set a time for a regular update.

Luck.

18-03-2001, 11:22 PM
If its not a norton live update trying to connect u, see if u have any email programs trying to check email every x minutes, have a look what is runnng in your task bar, and think what other programs would be trying to check for email/update/etc