PDA

View Full Version : Burning audio with track names ?

russell108
04-09-2007, 11:38 PM
After burning a new CD compilation in Nero 6 (xp home) it always says 'Unknown Album' whenever i put the cd on and the tracks always appear as track1,track2 etc
How do you get the track names appearing as they should and the CD being called by whatever name i gave it ?

Bozo
05-09-2007, 01:34 AM
You will need to name the songs/files before you burn them to the cd.
When you rip your music to your computer, the default setting is to name them track1, track 2 etc and all produced by default artist.

Just rename them and your problem will be solved.

russell108
05-09-2007, 01:38 AM
I always name them before burning...when i put the disc in another machine or hi-fi it says unknown and refers to all tracks as track1,2 etc

Is there a way around this ?

SurferJoe46
05-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Never had that problem..but I use WMP10 or 9 for ripping them first, then let Windows search out the album information and the track names, durations, artist and such.

It always shows that info in my MP3's and also cd's burn that are played afterwards.

heni72847
05-09-2007, 06:39 AM
I'm not sure but is it related to ticking some option that enables CD-Text?
think there's an option like this in nero
I can't test it out I don't have a CD player that can display any text...track number only for me

russell108
05-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Hmmm, when i put my coldplay album in my vista laptop in the media player it still says unknown with track 1 etc...
Apparently only some makes of cd burner can do CD-TEXT here are the ones named on wiki

Hewlett Packard 7500 / 8100 / 8200 / M820e / 9100 / 9200
Plextor 4220T (requires firmware 1.02 or higher)
Plextor 8220T
Ricoh 7040 (requires firmware 1.20 or higher)
Ricoh 7060 / 7080 / 8040 / 9060
Sony CRX100E / CRX110E / CRX120E / CRX140E / CRX140S
Teac CD-R56S / CD-R58S (requires firmware 1.0J or higher)
Available 3rd Party Software
Golden Hawk Technology
CDRWIN since version 3.6A has support for using these drives to read the encoded CDs.

Fiero
http://www.feurio.de Now supports CD-Text with their CD burning software. Free beta version available from their site.

I tried the feurio software but didnt have much luck..
Maybe because my cd-writer is an NEC ,dont tell me i have to fork out for a new sony cdwriter!?

Bozo
05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Are you burning a normal cd or are you burning an .mp3 disc?
If you are just burning a standard (.wma etc) cd, even if you have named the files they won't always show - depending on the burning software you are using.

Just burn an .mp3, you can get so much more on them aswell.

Trev
05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Never had that problem..but I use WMP10 or 9 for ripping them first, then let Windows search out the album information and the track names, durations, artist and such.

It always shows that info in my MP3's and also cd's burn that are played afterwards.
I don't have any problems either. I think you have to be connected to the internet for the song names to show up, as most songs whether wave or MP3 have some code in them which has the songs info etc. in it, which is sent to some music data base on the internet which then sends you back the name and artist of the song etc. to be displayed in your player.
I think that is how it works.
:)

PaulD
05-09-2007, 09:08 AM
The original extracted CD has a signature formed by the track and gap durations. If that's sent to various databases you get a listing that can be used for MP3 tagging.

SurferJoe46
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't have any problems either. I think you have to be connected to the internet for the song names to show up, as most songs whether wave or MP3 have some code in them which has the songs info etc. in it, which is sent to some music data base on the internet which then sends you back the name and artist of the song etc. to be displayed in your player.
I think that is how it works.

Once the album art and tracks and artist stuff is in, you don't have too be online to view them....

..........maybe this is part of your Windows settings and the harddrive properties for file sharing or something else that is associated with the ability to fast switch users...I am confused again...but I have a good reason..new drugs (medically prescribed, of course!)

I DO know that the art and tracks all appear in my Palm and my Sansa c240 when I sync them with WMP..so they get pretty global installations..even in the MP3s I play in my CD player in my car..the title's are all there too...

russell108
05-09-2007, 10:15 PM
OK i HAVE THE ANSWER !!

For those who are interested...only certain media players read cd-text (windows media player doesnt )!
Also Nero doesnt burn cd-text at all for me(even tho it has the option) but
'Burrrn' does (www.burrrn.net) you also need something to READ the cd-text

I think winamp does this but if not get cdex or CD-text manager to check it works (and it did for me)

SurferJoe46
06-09-2007, 02:16 AM
OK i HAVE THE ANSWER !!

For those who are interested...only certain media players read cd-text (windows media player doesnt )!
Also Nero doesnt burn cd-text at all for me(even tho it has the option) but
'Burrrn' does (www.burrrn.net) you also need something to READ the cd-text

I think winamp does this but if not get cdex or CD-text manager to check it works (and it did for me)

Hmmm..beg to differ with ya mate...but all I use is WMP10 and I get all the info each and every time for tracks, artist, album name, musical director, script girl's birthday and audio tech assistant's mother's name in my Library.

What I DON'T do is let WMP overwrite the data once it's added either by right clicking on the line of the particular cut of music and telling it to go find the album info or when I enter my own info.

I don't want WMP searching for different info...as it CAN be wrong sometimes especially with multiple songs in a compiled album like: "Your Greatest Accordion Masters Play John Phillips Sousa Marches" or "The Great Kazoo Orchestra Plays Your Favorite Beatles's Songs" etc.

The settings are there in WMP for those choices..but to deny the player the opportunity to seek info is NOT. I just want to decide what the entries will be.

russell108
06-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Hmmm..beg to differ with ya mate...but all I use is WMP10 and I get all the info each and every time for tracks, artist, album name, musical director, script girl's birthday and audio tech assistant's mother's name in my Library.

What I DON'T do is let WMP overwrite the data once it's added either by right clicking on the line of the particular cut of music and telling it to go find the album info or when I enter my own info.

I don't want WMP searching for different info...as it CAN be wrong sometimes especially with multiple songs in a compiled album like: "Your Greatest Accordion Masters Play John Phillips Sousa Marches" or "The Great Kazoo Orchestra Plays Your Favorite Beatles's Songs" etc.

The settings are there in WMP for those choices..but to deny the player the opportunity to seek info is NOT. I just want to decide what the entries will be.

I think WMP gets the information via the net ,thats the difference...if you buy a new CD and play it in WMP when your not connected to the net then it will read track1 etc
This is the case for WMP 9 ,cant speak for WMP 10 tho

SurferJoe46
06-09-2007, 04:18 AM
Ah!..I forget that youse guys are capped and limited..I on the other hand am on DSL 24/7 and get all the latest stuff all the time.

I also have WMP10 (this computer) and WMP9 (on my other Dells) in the start-up area all the time too..so they are live constantly.

I refuse to allow WMP11 into ANY system..but I did try it once and had to burn the whole opsys down and re-install to get away from the update that won't let you go back to an earlier version. It was pretty but full of nasties.

I set my cd-player to rip upon insertion of any cd from the get-go..so I don't usually have to ask WMP to go and get info..as it does it automatically without the right to overwrite any data already entered.

russell108
06-09-2007, 07:26 AM
I refuse to allow WMP11 into ANY system..but I did try it once and had to burn the whole opsys down and re-install to get away from the update that won't let you go back to an earlier version. It was pretty but full of nasties.

I just got myself a Laptop which has WMP11 ,is it really that bad ?

Trev
06-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I just got myself a Laptop which has WMP11 ,is it really that bad ?

I use WMP 11 with no problems. Haven't found any so called nasties that Joe talks about.

SurferJoe46
06-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Some people get away with using it..I don't recommend it to my worst enemy...it ain't even got up to speed yet and it's causing troubles already...

You'll see..

Just ask: "What was so wrong with WMP10 except that Bill needed to get a good night's sleep with the MPAA/RIAA by introducing a new way to throttle "pirated" software"?

I'd hate to see the evil offspring of that marriage..but I guess it's already here in the form of v11.

Stay tuned..there'll be a lot more soon....:D

Trev
06-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Some people get away with using it..I don't recommend it to my worst enemy...it ain't even got up to speed yet and it's causing troubles already...

You'll see..

Just ask: "What was so wrong with WMP10 except that Bill needed to get a good night's sleep with the MPAA/RIAA by introducing a new way to throttle "pirated" software"?

I'd hate to see the evil offspring of that marriage..but I guess it's already here in the form of v11.

Stay tuned..there'll be a lot more soon....:D

I think you are paranoid Joe :D

russell108
07-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Correction....NERO did burn the CD-TEXT after all ,its WMP that puts everything squew whiff !!

DAMN WMP !!!

SurferJoe46
07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
I think you are paranoid Joe :D

Yup..but I think I am for a good reason.

This will all shake out soon..and maybe I'll be vindicated. There's too many others who feel the same way for it to NOT be a valid concern. There are a lot of issues at stake here..don't get fooled.

Until it shakes out..it's better to err on the side of caution.