PDA

View Full Version : Vista laptop memory upgrade

curly
04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100 series and came with 1 Gig ram.

From the handbook - "Up to 2 GB of DDR2 533/667 MHz memory,upgradable to
4 GB using two soDIMM modules(dual channel support)"

If I upgrade to 4 GB, is there something special with "Dual channel support" ram?
Like, am I supposed to specify "dual channel ram" ?

And should I specify 667 MHz ram to achieve faster speed, rather than use 533 MHz ram ?

And, what does the term soDIMM mean, is it different from other ram ?

Sorry 4 all the ?'s, but trying to understand the terms used relating to laptop ram, and of course, making sure I get the right stuff.

wainuitech
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Be careful with the 4 Gb of RAM, if its a 32bit system, it will only see 3Gb.

( From MicroSofts Site) However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. [End]

The RAM should be the same speed.

SO-DIMM is notebook RAM, different to "Standard" Ram

One item I have found with Acers is use the recommended RAM as some cheaper " Compatible" RAM wont work, or will actually stop the PC from booting.

What ever you get, make sure you can return it if it doesn't work, other wise it will be a waste of money.

jinja_thom
04-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Small Outline Duel In-line Memory Module = SODIMM ie notebook RAM. The name refers to the physical size of the module and it comes in 144 pin 200 pin and 240 pin vatieties
HTH

curly
05-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Be careful with the 4 Gb of RAM, if its a 32bit system, it will only see 3Gb.

( From MicroSofts Site) However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. [End]

The RAM should be the same speed.

SO-DIMM is notebook RAM, different to "Standard" Ram

One item I have found with Acers is use the recommended RAM as some cheaper " Compatible" RAM wont work, or will actually stop the PC from booting. Thanks

What ever you get, make sure you can return it if it doesn't work, other wise it will be a waste of money.

Thanks mate - will go to 2 GB total, ie 2X 1 GB soDIMM, but a decent brand.

curly
05-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Small Outline Duel In-line Memory Module = SODIMM ie notebook RAM. The name refers to the physical size of the module and it comes in 144 pin 200 pin and 240 pin vatieties
HTH

Ahhh, How do I tell if my Acer takes 114pin or 200 pin or 240 pin?

Man, this is confusing.

wainuitech
05-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Ahhh, How do I tell if my Acer takes 114pin or 200 pin or 240 pin?

Man, this is confusing.

When you order the RAM, its best to tell the shop the exact model number that way the correct memory can be installed.

If its a good shop they may even install it while you wait, only takes a couple of seconds and then at least you'll get the right stuff from the beginning.

Normally I wouldn't charge to install it - hell undo 1 or 2 screws, lift a plastic cover, CAREFULLY slip in the RAM, Screw the cover back in and test ( turn on) to make sure its works OK.

Then say its $??? for the RAM thanks.