PDA

View Full Version : I formatted my laptop, and I have problems.

erick321123
04-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Here's the thing. I formatted my laptop yesterday, everything went as it should be. The thing is, when I logged on, nothing was there, except for the Recycle Bin. That's not the problem, the problem is that I want to connect to the internet but I don't know how. My laptop has wireless internet but the little icon on the bar doesn't appear. Any help?

erick321123
04-09-2007, 04:52 AM
Oh, and one more thing. After formatting, the laptop doesn't seem to have sound. I'm guessing I have to install it with another disc, but I don't know.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Answer to the first question:

You'll have to find out what the settings are / number to dialup up / however you connect to wireless.

And make a new connection. Or use whatever software (if there's any SW, the ISP uses). So you can dialup / use the wireless internet connection.

Answer to ? 2:

You'll have to go to the laptop's manufacturer's site and search for the model, then download the soundcard drivers. Then install them.

What little icon on the bar doesnt appear?

Are you talking about WI-FI / wireless?

WI-FI and wireless internet ARE NOT the same thing

If the laptop DOES have WI-FI, if you're talking about the signal icon for this, you wont get one unless it picks up something else if its on a network (wireless network).

If you ARE using Wireless Internet who's it with?? Who's the ISP?

erick321123
04-09-2007, 06:14 AM
What do you mean what settings? The laptop connects to this thing, I read about it and it's like 802.11g something like that. The thing is I don't know how to connect it to it. The software is the one that it comes with the laptop, I think it's Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

So, in order to get the sound, I'll have to get internet first? If so, thanks.

What if, I download the software from another computer, and transfer the downloaded soundcard drive to the laptop?

And yes, I do mean the Wi-Fi icon.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2007, 06:32 AM
What do you mean what settings? The laptop connects to this thing, I read about it and it's like 802.11g something like that. The thing is I don't know how to connect it to it. The software is the one that it comes with the laptop, I think it's Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

You have to configure the wireless, you can use the Wizard (the settings would have to be exactly the same as what you're trying to connect to).

So, in order to get the sound, I'll have to get internet first? If so, thanks.

Correct, you go to the manufacturer / whoever made the laptop's site, and then search for the model of the laptop you've got,download the soundcard drivers, then install them.

What if, I download the software from another computer, and transfer the downloaded soundcard drive to the laptop?

Just as long as its the install file, for the drivers or this other system is the same brand and model as your laptop, sure it'll work.

Otherwise, no it wont work.

If you mean copy the drivers (from this other computer, if theyre already installed, then no, it wont work).

You need the install file for the soundcard drivers.

You cant install soundcard drivers from another computer (if they're not for your soundcard, and expect the sound to work).

It wont work.

erick321123
04-09-2007, 06:36 AM
What do I do in the Wizard? 'cause I've tried everything and still no connection. Do I have to connect the laptop to something so I can get some connection or something?

ronyville
04-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Once you format your lappy, theres nothing left there and after you reinstall XP or Vista (which ever you had), the drivers for the hardware to work properly still needs to be installed. example sound, video, wireless etc. Do you have a separate CD that came with the lappy when you bought it. It should have all the drivers on and if not than you need to get on the net and download it just like speedy said. And if you are still not too sure as what to do than i suggest that you should get someone who knows about computers to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2007, 06:42 AM
What do I do in the Wizard? 'cause I've tried everything and still no connection. Do I have to connect the laptop to something so I can get some connection or something?

What are you trying to connect it to??

Is there another computer there somewhere that uses WI-FI?

erick321123
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm trying to connect it to my this connection at my house. The thing says 802.11g. I read something about it on the internet. It's a wireless connection.

erick321123
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
And yes, there is another computer that uses the wireless connection that I'm trying to connect to. I don't know how though.

pctek
04-09-2007, 06:51 AM
You should have had all the drivers ready first.

You'll need:
Sound, graphics, LAN, WIFI, modem, chipset etc etc

Why didn't you just use its recovery CD/Partition?

wainuitech
04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
As PCtek says, you'llneed to install all of the drivers other wise some of the operations on the Lappy wont work.

XP Instructions:

In the first post you mentioned nothing on the desktop except the recycle bin, to get the icons you want ( If Its XP) right ckick on the desktop / Properties / Desktop Tab /Customize Desktop - then select the items from the General tab that you want to have Eg: My Documents, My Computer.

When you put the My Computer Icon on the desktop, right click it, Properties/Hardware Tab/ Device Manager - there you may see all the items that require drivers, they will have a yellow ! mark - meaning no driver installed. That means the object/hardware wont work untill you install the right drivers.

SolMiester
04-09-2007, 07:51 AM
erick, the connection at your house will have setting that allow your laptop to connect as in encryption key etc. Does the wireless moniotr in the bottom right corner mention a wireless network......?

Man, i cant believe people go wipe there pc's without any knowledge of what they are doing....did you read the manual erick?

kennie
04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
The question is... Have you installed the drivers for the wireless device on your laptop? You won't see any icon for it if you don't install the drivers for it.

pctek
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
e

Man, i cant believe people go wipe there pc's without any knowledge of what they are doing....did you read the manual erick?

:waughh:

RTFM!

But it probably didn't have a manual......or at least one that goes beyond basic use.

erick321123
04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I got it. Well, some drivers, I'm just having problem with the video, can't watch some DVDs. I got the wireless working but no connection. Like, it says I have connection, but when I open IE, it goes to the usual page that says that the page is not available or something like that. I did read "manuals" on the web. And yes, PCtek is right. The laptop didn't come with a manual. If you want to count the booklet for safety and the colored paper labeling where everything is.

theother1
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey Eric,
Just as a matter of interest, did you back up any of the data on your laptop before you formatted it? and do you have the software discs to reload all the programs to the computer. From what you have said it sounds like you might have thought,
"I think I will format my laptop, ok just click this, ahhhhh, this will solve all my problems!"
Good luck

erick321123
04-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Yes, I do have the software dics, and yes I did back up all my files. And I researched enough to know how to format, what I didn't research was what to do after formatting.