kale
03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
just wonder
Can i set a password on a folder?
IF yes, how?

Thank you very much

wratterus
03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Doing this in XP requires some third party software. I like AxCrypt (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Encrypting/AxCrypt.shtml), It's very light, and as secure as anything else out there.

Bozo
04-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Doing this in XP requires some third party software. I like AxCrypt (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Encrypting/AxCrypt.shtml), It's very light, and as secure as anything else out there.
awesome! i new about this software and have seen it used in the past but for the life of me, i couldn't remember the name.
Cheers wratterus! :p

georgeks
04-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Why don't you compress the file with WinRAR, and password-protect it? Can't be more easy than that...

Bozo
04-09-2007, 12:26 AM
True, but does Winrar encrypt the files? im not too sure.
I know the original question didn't ask for encryption, but it is a biggy for me.
I use TrueCrypt for larger volumes (hard drives) but i find that AxCrypt is pretty quick and easy to use for single files.

wratterus
04-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Nah, I don't think Winrar does encrypt them by default, you may be able to mess around with it...? Havn't tried. Axcrypt is easier to use anyway...especially for small files. Just don't try to encrypt massive data files or Linux ISOs with it...that's gonna take a while.....

Bantu
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Winrar Help file:

When extracting encrypted files, it is not necessary to enter the password before starting the operation, though you may do so. If a password was not entered before extraction and WinRAR encounters an encrypted file, the password will be requested from the user.

ZIP 2.0 format supported by WinRAR uses a proprietary encryption algorithm. RAR archives are encrypted by the much stronger AES-128 standard. If you need to encrypt sensitive information, it is better to select the RAR archive format. For real security use passwords of at least 8 characters in length. Do not use words of any language as passwords, it is better to choose a random combination of characters and digits. Note that passwords are case sensitive. Remember that if you lose your password, you will be unable to retrieve the encrypted files, not even the WinRAR author is able to extract encrypted files.