PDA

View Full Version : Running programs over the intranet

15-03-2001, 02:05 PM
Ok - 2 Problems

1) I want to run an exacutable over the intranet. Not hard. Its that I want to make it run through an active desktop. (Html). Instead of using shortcuts.

But it always wants me to download it. etc.

2) When I try and run a Word doc or dot over the intranet, it wants to be opened in Internet explorer. This is not helpful.

Please help me. Its for the school I work at. I want to be able to create the classes desktops from my server (with news updates, weather, programs they can run etc).

16-03-2001, 10:46 AM
Hi Alan,

Unfortunately I don't think there's an easy fix for either of your problems.

The default behaviour for a hyperlink to any file on a web page is to initiate a download, or in the case of Microsoft Office files on Internet Explorer, to open the document within the browser. So you can't start a program running by clicking on a hyperlink in a container like an Active Desktop; for the first problem you'll have to either stick with your shortcuts or rewrite your executable using a technology like Active Server Pages so it can be run within a web browser.

For the second problem you'll need to tell your students to right-click on the Word document, save it to their desktop and then double-click on it to open it in Word.

I suggest you keep the shortcuts to your executables and point all the Active Desktops to a specific page on your intranet which you can update with the lastest news and weather.

Hope this is of help,

Steve