PDA

View Full Version : Windows Startup

15-03-2001, 12:09 AM
I am running Win98 and find that whenever my computer starts up now it stops at a window titled 'Programs'. There are no files visable in this window. The startup process then stops until you close the window, where-upon the process continues until the desktop display appears. I can find nothing untoward in either the Windows\Start folder or msconfig. Any ideas anyone?

15-03-2001, 06:00 PM
Try checking out System Configuration Utility, as that has a list of startup items as well.

Access it by clicking on the 'start' button, then 'run', type 'msconfig' in the open box - then click on the tab marked 'startup'.

Be careful what you change though!! :)

15-03-2001, 07:14 PM
The previous advice is good. To help you, Microsoft have published some good article on using the System Information Manager to trouble-shoot startup and shutdown problems. Check them out at http://search.support.microsoft.com - the KnowledgeBase search makes finding stuff like this quite straight forward.

Happy hunting.

16-03-2001, 10:22 PM
Thanks, but have already reviewed msconfig (win.ini, system.ini etc. Can find nothing obvious. Anything else???

16-03-2001, 10:59 PM
Perhaps the window which is opening is actually a folder. Hunt through your drive(s) looking for empty folders labelled 'Program'. You don't have one hanging off the end of the Start Menu folder by any chance. When you check using Windows Explorer, make sure you have adjusted your view options to show all files (ie you don't have it set to hide system or 'hidden' files.

Do you have a virus checker with an up to date set of signatures? May pay to run a scan.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Luck.