PDA

View Full Version : Ways to stop telemarketing calls...

developer
28-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I have posted 100+ messages but this is my first time starting a thread... I'd like to ask about ways to stop telemarketing calls.

After revealing my phone numbers somewhere (possibly White Pages or other phone number directories), I receive excessive amount of telemarketing calls. I personally dislike answering telemarketing calls, but I understand that everyone has to have a job, and some of the calls are from countries where the callers may be in short of food, so I always try their products / answer their questions when possible. However, recently the calls get more and more and waste a lot of time (I do not know if that is my previous friendly actions encouraged them).

I searched on the Internet and found some ways to stop telemarketing calls, including telling the callers that the person in charge of the phone bill / products payment is out, asking the callers to hold for a long time, annoying the callers by nonsense questions etc. Most of these are more like making fun of the telemarketing people, which I don't really want to do. Here I'd like to ask if there's any good way I can stop telemarketing calls (it's now too late to remove the number from White Pages, and I don't want to change number), or spend very little time but still help them. Any good suggestions?

johcar
28-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I just say "Sorry, not interested" and just hang up - they always seem to phone at dinner time....

somebody
28-08-2007, 09:01 PM
"Me no english speak"

Shortcircuit
28-08-2007, 09:02 PM
You must be joking you feel sorry for them?

I think they are the scourge of the earth :mad:

If you don't want them to call- when they phone ask politely to be put on their 'no call' list. Presumably after 15-20 times doing this you will get less calls.

If they are from NZ and members of the Direct Marketers Association they must comply if you don't want them to annoy you.

PaulD
28-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd like to ask if there's any good way I can stop telemarketing calls or spend very little time but still help them. Any good suggestions?

Unless you are foolish to spend money on their products (and that'll get you on more lists) the best way to help them and yourself is to hang up as soon as possible. Then it doesn't cost you and they have more time to annoy someone else :D

winmacguy
28-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I just grunt or say hello when I answer the phone so when they ask for our old landlord I just tell them they have a wrong number- We now own the house.

Myth
28-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Just say "sorry, not interested. Good nite" Hang up

Or ask Telecom for a private (unlisted) number, its not in the phone book, and not on directorys lists either

Metla
28-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I think you may find that some are just trying to scam your credit card number.

Personally I just hang up without a word, They are not worth any of my time, never mind the 3 seconds already wasted by finding the damn phone and answering it.

sam m
28-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Any phone number that comes up as private has the ringer set to silent - they can talk to the machine. If it is genuine caller with private number then they will leave a message - telemarketers dont ever leave a message.

mikebartnz
28-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Or ask Telecom for a private (unlisted) number, its not in the phone book, and not on directorys lists either
Doesn't always work as they just use a PC to ring numbers so while you mignt have an unlisted one the PC won't know that.

DrFill
28-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Throw your phone out the window! Just be careful that you don't hit anyone.

Rob99
28-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I give them a random cell phone number and tell them to phone back in business hours.

beeswax34
28-08-2007, 11:58 PM
I give them a random cell phone number and tell them to phone back in business hours.

Ahh, thats why my mobile keeps ringing all the time!:lol:

Laura
29-08-2007, 12:04 AM
The Marketing Association of NZ has a Name Removal Register.
Its members won't call if you're listed on that.

You can do it via 0800-347-328 or through their website:

http://www.marketing.org.nz

developer
29-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions from all of you. I will use http://www.marketing.org.nz/ now, thanks for the link.

I am going to set my phone to automatic answer mode, which doesn't ring but plays recorded instructions when someone calls, asking friends to leave their numbers or phone my cell phone, and telemarketing people to put my number in their No-Call lists. I will see how it goes, hope telemarketing calls will be stopped or reduced after some period of time.

BTW, yes I received calls asking for my credit card numbers before, but I had nothing to give because I don't have a credit card (though my job is developing finance and banking software) :p

Thanks again.

zqwerty
29-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks for that info Laura, we are plagued every supper time with calls from telemarketers. Hope it works, they will probably take revenge.

bob_doe_nz
29-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Now if I could do something about those mysterious faxes we get. Even though we are not listed.

Jen
29-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions from all of you. I will use http://www.marketing.org.nz/ now, thanks for the link.I've used the Name Removal Service and to be honest, it hasn't stopped the calls, but only slowed them down a bit.

A good piece of advice Godfather gave when this topic last came up, was if you still receive the calls after your name has been on that list for at least a month, ask them if they are a member of the Marketing Association and tell them you will be reporting their organisation for failing to use the removal list.

I found the above question will halt all discussions you can politely end the call. No need to get rude, afterall it is just some poor bleb trying to earn a living on the other end of the line ...

Bantu
29-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Being unlisted does not work for this sleezy group of people.
We moved Wellington to Auckland and decided to go unlisted while we rented until we found a house to buy. In three months renting and having unlisted number we had several calls by telemarketers.

I complained to Telecom but they had no answer for it, i assume they just sell off phone numbers to direct marketers regardless of listed or not.

HRV has been one of the worst lately. I had several calls from them over a month and told them I had got pissed off with their anoying calls and had DVS installed (which was true) and not had a call since.

John H
29-08-2007, 08:45 AM
The Marketing Association of NZ has a Name Removal Register.
Its members won't call if you're listed on that.

You can do it via 0800-347-328 or through their website:

http://www.marketing.org.nz

Thanks Laura. Have just filled in the form. :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
29-08-2007, 09:44 AM
We have a tone here in the US that, as far as I understand is international.

It makes a three tone beep and most automated systems hear it and immediately hang up.

I have a copy on WMP and can send it to you for trials if youse like me to.

I just had to tell friends that the tone is not for them, just telemarketers.

Give me some site to send it to as an MP3 and I will.

PaulD
29-08-2007, 10:08 AM
The only tones like that used here are associated with Fax switching devices to see if there is a calling fax on the line. If there is an automated system calling here you usually have a few seconds to hang up before it can assign someone to your connection.

developer
29-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your input, everyone.

Joe, would you be able to upload the file to any file sharing website e.g. 2shared, mega file upload etc, please? I'd like to try including this tone in my phone's automatic answer.

Now the last thing I can do is to hope telemarketing people pay respect to all my actions.

Ninjabear
29-08-2007, 10:40 AM
It gets worse in Hong kong.They ring your mobile instead and also its a commputer voice.So it searches random mobile numbers and calls you.Saves alot of $$ then using human voice.lol

Hong Kong doesn't have regulation for this kind of phone spamming yet..

Mercury
29-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Personally I find politeness and a good lie works wonders:

Do you own your own house? <No>

I need to speak to someone between the ages of 20 and 80 <sorry, no one here in that age range> What about you? <Sorry, no>

Is your income over $10 per week? <No>

I am doing an opinion survey <Sorry, I don't have opinions>

I am doing a survey <Sorry, we don't answer surveys over the phone>

I am collecting money <Sorry, we don't give money over the phone> - (Just remember on this one that the company ringing get far more of the proceeds from any donation than the charity. You are paying them to ring you!)

I am selling xyz <Sorry, we don't buy anything over the phone> - (I hate spam both over the computer and the phone, why should I encourage it?)

And the best one?
Back in 1999 a phone call from someone doing surveys on the Y2K bug:

May I speak to someone in your house who owns a computer? <Sorry, we don't use computers!>

After doing this consistently for years we don't get a lot of cold calls now. Maybe one a fortnight.

SurferJoe46
29-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your input, everyone.

Joe, would you be able to upload the file to any file sharing website e.g. 2shared, mega file upload etc, please? I'd like to try including this tone in my phone's automatic answer.

Now the last thing I can do is to hope telemarketing people pay respect to all my actions.

OK..I'll do so..let me find a site and upload it...b-back soon....

OK..got it: http://www.2shared.com/file/2211151/7fd16f34/MP3_SIT.html

Something wrong with that..I can't get it back out of the site..let me try another unless this one works for you...let me know..

Try this: http://www.uploading.com/files/VHBUI08O/MP3_SIT.mp3.html

tingle
29-08-2007, 11:35 AM
i go with the polite people above and say thanks, but no thanks and hang up.
another good option - just say "one moment please", then put the phone on the bench/table and walk away...

pctek
29-08-2007, 11:38 AM
There's always this:

http://boreguru.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/hilarious-prank-telemarketer-calls-a-crime-scene-investigation/

and

http://www.suddenlysenior.com/telemarketers.html

SurferJoe46
29-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I finally found it on that last link..but it took a while...I hadda jump a few hoops and barrels..the one I sent has repetitive copies of the same three-SIT recording.

It's a 300 mb limit..so I sent as many copies of it as I could. :cool:

Hope it helps. :)

SKT174
29-08-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't answer my home phone and I don't answer when someone is knocking on the door either.

SKT174
29-08-2007, 12:47 PM
It gets worse in Hong kong.They ring your mobile instead and also its a commputer voice.So it searches random mobile numbers and calls you.Saves alot of $$ then using human voice.lol

Hong Kong doesn't have regulation for this kind of phone spamming yet..

What makes it worse is that you've to pay once you answered the call. Unlike NZ, the caller pays.

Ninjabear
29-08-2007, 12:53 PM
What makes it worse is that you've to pay once you answered the call. Unlike NZ, the caller pays.

Yea true.You are charge two ways.Incoming and outgoing

developer
29-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I successfully downloaded the tone. I will see if it works here. Thanks.

Mercury, yes sometimes telling a lie to telemarketing people becomes necessary, last time after giving some friendly answers, I was asked some very personal questions, e.g. my bank balance, my bank account type etc, which I could not tell them the true values.

Although it doesn't cost money to answer such calls in NZ and that some calls can be as short as half a minute, I just don't know why (possibly because I have been answering excessive amount of unwanted calls) now almost every time when I realize I am answering a telemarketing call, I feel my day is ruined.

Thanks for your input (and reading my complaint), everyone. The suggestions are very helpful.

Mercury
29-08-2007, 01:33 PM
The only time I've been seriously rude to a telemarketer was when I was woken in the middle of the day to be asked about retirement planning. Being seriously sick with the flu my answer wasn't particularly polite. Actually, retirement that day didn't seem like too much of an option as I wasn't at all sure I'd make it to the end of the day let alone retirement! His comment as he slammed the phone down was "Well, if that's your attitude..."

Once you get the hang of lying through your teeth and outwitting them it becomes a game and quite enjoyable (in an odd sort of way). Far better than that well known feeling of frustration and annoyance.

My other half answered the phone one night when the kids were here for dinner. He said "hang on", held up the phone, said Sally was on the phone and asked us to say "Hello Sally!" We did, loudly. He then returned to the phone and asked her if she'd heard. She had. He then held up the phone and said "Now, say Goodbye Sally". We did and heard her laughing as he hung up the phone.

John H
29-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I really liked that one Mercury (your third para)!!

One of the downsides to working from home is you get these plonkers ringing up all the time during the day, and another downside is you can't enjoy being sick or having a nap because the damned phone rings. It is not like staying home from the office...

I got one yesterday - some American guy from a company I couldn't make out cos the phone connection was crap (I thought he was phoning from inside a kerosene can).

I said "I work from home and don't have the time to take cold calls". He said "OK, when would be a good time to take this call?", and I said "There is never a good time to take cold calls". He hung up on me!!! He must have been a sensitive little flower, because I was perfectly pleasant to him. Apart from the initial greeting, you have the whole call right there, and he hung up!!! I felt quite cheated. NOT.

Mercury
29-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, well you've got to make the most of these things to maximize your fun.

Asking politely to be taken off calling lists never worked. Making it unworthwhile for them to call on the other hand worked brilliantly - and is far more entertaining.

I loved PCTEK's crime scene link. Now if only I had the talent for something like that...

pctek
29-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Husband once picked a reply off a printout I gave him on things to say to Telemarketers.
I didn't think he'd pick that one. She hung up and a supervisor rang back making threats until he pointed out he had rung no-one - she rang him.

Worked but geez......but extreme.....

mikebartnz
29-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Being unlisted does not work for this sleezy group of people.
We moved Wellington to Auckland and decided to go unlisted while we rented until we found a house to buy. In three months renting and having unlisted number we had several calls by telemarketers.

I complained to Telecom but they had no answer for it, i assume they just sell off phone numbers to direct marketers regardless of listed or not.
As I said earlier a PC does the dialing and will just start say from 37(00000) and go through to 37(99999) and there you have most people in Masterton and surrounding areas unlisted number or not.

tedheath
29-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Any phone number that comes up as private has the ringer set to silent - they can talk to the machine. If it is genuine caller with private number then they will leave a message - telemarketers dont ever leave a message.

Thats cool how do set the ringer to go silent when private number comes up in caller display.
Do you need a smart phone?
Cheers

tedheath

Billy T
29-08-2007, 09:54 PM
How to stop telemarketers in their tracks:

They work from rigid scripts.

Straight after their opening identification, if they start with a question, say "who is asking?"

If they identify a company in their opening words, ask "who is that?" or "what do they do?"

Answering your question breaks the flow of their script and then they are buggered. Whatever they say next, simply respond "not interested thanks" and hang up.

Never listen to the spiel and never answer questions. They last approximately 3-4 seconds with me and I don't have to be rude.

Stop their flow and they are done for, you take charge and then YOU quit the call.

Works for me every time.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bob_doe_nz
29-08-2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

Billy T
30-08-2007, 05:39 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html Too damned complicated, and useful only if you want to play silly games.

Break the script at the very beginning by asking a rational and relevant question, then exit.

My daughter earns her Uni fees in part by working in a call centre, and I don't begrudge her that, (otherwise I'd be paying) and she hates hearing me stop telemarketers in their tracks because she knows from experience just how difficult it is for them to get past that counter-pitch.

The other problem is lonely old people who just want to talk to somebody, anybody, telemarketers included.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SurferJoe46
31-08-2007, 05:19 AM
I have a neighbor who has the ultimate stall for those telemarketers.

In a very frail and slightly shaky voice she asks: "Will you take me home? They won't let me go home. I don't like it here." Then she whispers: "I will let you live in my house if you take me out of here. When are you going to come for me?".......

They don't seem to call again.

rob_on_guitar
31-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Just fart. Let it rip, dont actually say anything.

lazydog
31-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Put them on hold.

wmoore
31-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Here are some ideas.

Ask them the best way to get blood out of clothing.
Ask them how long would it take to dig a hole 6 feet by 2 feet with one spade.
:lol:

CYaBro
02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Seinfeld's way of getting rid of them (http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-get-rid-of-a-telemarketer--The-Seinfeld-way-8184)

R2x1
02-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Ask them to call you on your mobile. When they do, stall them for as long as your battery can hold out.

Billy T
02-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Ask them to call you on your mobile. When they do, stall them for as long as your battery can hold out.

Why play childish games? Don't you think they've heard it all before from other smart-arses?

They have living to earn too, even if we don't like how they do it, so just kill the call, let them move on to the next number and get on with your own life.

You can't stop them calling, and the real satisfaction lies in wasting as little time as possible with them.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
telemarketing is a ay a lot of the charities are raising funds these days, so I just say "sorry, not interested".

lakewoodlady
19-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Tell them you're sorry you can't hear them because you're deaf, or just keep saying hello hello hello hello..............

Billy T
19-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Tell them you're sorry you can't hear them because you're deaf, or just keep saying hello hello hello hello..............

Like I said, if you are going to play silly childish games you are better off to just hang up, they are only employees trying to earn a living. They are not wedded to what they are selling so just get off the line and let them get on with it. Enough people play ball for their employer to stay in business.

Billy 8-{) :groan:

Metla
19-10-2007, 03:57 PM
How about they do whatever suits them best?

As for the employees, Tough, Get a job thats gets them a bit more respect or live with it.

Its the bottom rung, The view was never going to be good.

Trev
19-10-2007, 06:07 PM
We have caller display on our phone, and if it displays private or just numbers (not a phone number) when someone calls we don't answer it.
:)

legod
19-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I just say "Sorry, not interested" and just hang up - they always seem to phone at dinner time....

just hang up.:badpc:

Ninjabear
19-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I remember once when a telemarketer called my place.I asked for her name then shouted to my friend to say helloo *name* then she was promoted something so i asked my friend if she needed any.She said no.I then told her so how's your day been?Where do u live?Lol....Yea she wasnt interested and she hung up the phone not me

R2x1
20-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Delay them as long as possible - it cuts down on their daily score of people they have offended. Someone unknown will never thank you for the call they didn't receive, but you can have the warm fuzzies anyway.

mlp
20-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I have posted 100+ messages but this is my first time starting a thread... I'd like to ask about ways to stop telemarketing calls.

After revealing my phone numbers somewhere (possibly White Pages or other phone number directories), I receive excessive amount of telemarketing calls. I personally dislike answering telemarketing calls, but I understand that everyone has to have a job, and some of the calls are from countries where the callers may be in short of food, so I always try their products / answer their questions when possible. However, recently the calls get more and more and waste a lot of time (I do not know if that is my previous friendly actions encouraged them).

I searched on the Internet and found some ways to stop telemarketing calls, including telling the callers that the person in charge of the phone bill / products payment is out, asking the callers to hold for a long time, annoying the callers by nonsense questions etc. Most of these are more like making fun of the telemarketing people, which I don't really want to do. Here I'd like to ask if there's any good way I can stop telemarketing calls (it's now too late to remove the number from White Pages, and I don't want to change number), or spend very little time but still help them. Any good suggestions?

Just do what that lady did on the television commercial with the microwave:lol:

radium
20-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Just do what that lady did on the television commercial with the microwave:lol:

What did she do?

mlp
20-10-2007, 09:18 PM
She had the microwave timer beeping and made everything sound like it was an answer machine. I forgot what the ad was about but it's not on anymore

SurferJoe46
21-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Did the three-tones work?

Did anybody try them in Upsidedown Land?

SteveL
09-11-2007, 02:02 PM
You Can Try [edited], just found it and it seems to work quite nicely =] its free and it will just cut them off to a fax tone. It will make your life alot eaisyer. Do need a Modem port in your computer though.

[edit: I just love these new members whose first post is about some product they just *found/heard about*. The product is not even available for NZ, something which the poster failed to notice before spamming us.]

Enigmur
09-11-2007, 02:43 PM
IMO the WORST thing you could ever do is be a pushover to them. There are some of them who hate their job and drearily call people, ut there are the others who are on commission and will push you as far as possible.

Best thing to do is say no thanks politely and hang up, donít listen for a response because they will try keep you on the line as long as possible.
People who do telemarketing realise that they are interfering with peoples lives and expect to get a pissed off person once in a while, youíd know what you were signing up for when you took the job.

Theres no need to be an *******, but I donít see harm in firmly letting them know you wont have any of it.

englandXrugbyworldchamps
09-11-2007, 02:47 PM
you could try this approach - warning contains some rather naughty words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3fg40XJAU)

Laura
09-11-2007, 03:42 PM
you could try this approach - warning contains some rather naughty words (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3fg40XJAU)

There are much better sugestions in this thread already

I"d hope nobody here chose to become such a foul_mouthed moron to solve the problem

rob_on_guitar
10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Actually i just been having a resurgance of callers, all around 6 - 7pm.

Basically I started questioning them as to how my number was selected. They said they use the public phone book, randomly picking numbers. I said how come out of the thousands and thousands of numbers my number gets picked so many times? They couldnt answer so I asked if they could not ring and take my number off whatever list they are using. So far so good.

johcar
10-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Actually i just been having a resurgance of callers, all around 6 - 7pm.

Basically I started questioning them as to how my number was selected. They said they use the public phone book, randomly picking numbers. I said how come out of the thousands and thousands of numbers my number gets picked so many times? They couldnt answer so I asked if they could not ring and take my number off whatever list they are using. So far so good.
Ditto here - most calls seem to be very crackly (VOIP? - calling from India or Malaysia?) and non-English-as-a-first-language speakers. They are damn hard to understand, but I now have got to the point where, as soon as I hear that it is a non-English-as-a-first-language speaker I just say "Not interested" and hang up (the non-English-as-a-first-language friends I have I can recognise as soon as they start speaking - and generally :), they're not trying to establish what ISP I am with at the moment or whether I am the home-owner as soon as they start speaking).

I might try your tack next time Rob... :)