PDA

View Full Version : Receiving multiple old messages in outlook express

Anniep34
28-08-2007, 06:18 AM
I am depserate for help. All of a sudden yesterday I started to receive multiple copies of emails in my outlook express that I had received up to a year ago! I was up to 20000 or more and they keep coming. I cannot get current emails that I am expecting because these are coming in first and I can't stop them. I don't know how to fix this and Rogers wasn't much help either. I am ready to pull my hair outand am tired of deleting messages. Can anyone please give me a step by step instruction on how to fix this. Please assume that I am a dummy and don't know tech words. I know there is something abut accessing their server to stop them sending the old messages but I have no idea how to do that. Can anyone please help me? I cannot receive replies at my outlook express account because I can't get current messages due to the old ones coming back in.

Safari
28-08-2007, 07:43 AM
The best thing to do would be to call your ISP and get them to delete all mail on the server for you, you will lose mail you have not seen yet but at least it would get things working again for you.
You could do it your self through your ISP web mail but it would be a huge task.

Not sure how you managed to get that much left on the server unless you have Outlook Express set to leave mail on the server and it has somehow forgotten which messages you have already downloaded.

Check in Outlook Express Tools /Accounts
Click on the Mail Tab
Select Properties for the account
Click on Advanced at the top
Near the bottom make sure Leave a copy on server is unticked.

Greg
28-08-2007, 08:03 AM
The best thing to do would be to call your ISP and get them to delete all mail on the server for you, you will lose mail you have not seen yet but at least it would get things working again for you.
You could do it your self through your ISP web mail but it would be a huge task.The ISP should be able to delete all except those from past a certain date.

Also depending on her webmail its probably possible to either delete all messages over a certain age, or multi-select batches of messages and delete them. She'd need to select an option that displays the max number of messages per page.

Its a strange one though because most ISP's have rather strict limits on how much bulk the server inbox can hold.