PDA

View Full Version : X window

kjaada
19-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Installing "Conky" in PCLinuxOS useing a terminal and have run in to but fixed several dependancies.Now need Xdamage where would that be ?I have installed Xextensions and have installed all most all things starting with X.

Myth
19-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Probably libXdamage or damageproto. More likely the first

Quick google leads me to: www.pclinuxos.com/apt/pclinuxos/2007/RPMS.main/libxdamage1-devel-1.0.3-3pclos2007.i586.rpm so its in your repository (or should be)

kjaada
19-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Great Stuff,thanks:But I now require Xft which I have found as a windows .exe but need the linux one.Found lots of info but no downloadable.

Myth
20-08-2007, 07:23 AM
libXft2 (http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/srodzaj/1/search/libXft)do ya?

As an aside, part of what makes a good linux distro for me, is how good the package manager is. Any package manager that requires me to search the internet for dependencies gets dropped pretty quick - that's what the package manager is supposed to do, not me. It would be like updating windows but having to go to 15 different sites plus having a Ph.D-Google
Just one of the reasons PCLinux didn't get a look-in (IMHO)

kjaada
20-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I beg to differ a bit here as it is more ignorance on my part rather than a problem with the PCLOS packet manager.

Myth
20-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I beg to differ a bit here as it is more ignorance on my part rather than a problem with the PCLOS packet manager.How can user ignorance be a factor in this? PCLinuxOS uses Synaptic, a gui for apt-get.

If I were to use Debian (right now I don't have it installed but will test this theory later) and the CLI, I'm guessing to get conky installed, I would just need to do this:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install conky
# conky and voila, it should (in theory) work.

Why doesn't it work that way with PCLinuxOS?

kjaada
20-08-2007, 08:26 AM
In my wisdom to keep things lean and mean I did not install a lot of the things on offer.
While fathoming out dependancies I kept to that policy.I have never had a dependancy problem before with anything from any of my depositories.

Myth
20-08-2007, 05:46 PM
In my wisdom to keep things lean and mean I did not install a lot of the things on offer.
While fathoming out dependancies I kept to that policy.I have never had a dependancy problem before with anything from any of my depositories.Oooooohhhh, ok then. As you said, user error :D