PDA

View Full Version : Installing a game onto Vista Machine

kiwidog01
18-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Hello folks. I'm hoping someone can help with not being able to install a game onto my laptop. It's a Twin Cam 1600 Sony Vaio running Vista. The bloody thing keeps telling me, "you have no authority to perform this action", or something to that degree. As I own it and have set up myself as an Administrator I can't think of anything else to do??? I've installed other apps no worries at all apart from that thing popping up to ask me if I want to perform this action, but can't install this particular game. It works on XP but won't install on Vista....Grrrrr!!!:groan:

motorbyclist
19-08-2007, 01:48 AM
ugh, vista:yuck:

have you disabled that crap to stop it asking if you really want to do what it just told you yet?

otherwise this is just a bump

kyranbrophy
19-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Why does everyone think that the UAC pop-ups are bull****? Its one extra click you have to perform and it helps stop malicious programs from running...

Back to the matter at hand...Vista may not let you run the installation because even though you are logged in as an administrator you still don't have full permissions to install into the program files. Try right clicking on the installation exe and choosing "Run as administrator".

kyranbrophy
19-08-2007, 02:28 AM
What is the game by the way?

chiefnz
19-08-2007, 04:51 AM
Why does everyone think that the UAC pop-ups are bull****? Its one extra click you have to perform and it helps stop malicious programs from running...

Back to the matter at hand...Vista may not let you run the installation because even though you are logged in as an administrator you still don't have full permissions to install into the program files. Try right clicking on the installation exe and choosing "Run as administrator".

It's annoying because if you have decent, malware/spyware software running you wouldn't need UAC in the 1st place... it's double handling.

I run spybot with tea-time in the background... it does exactly the same thing that the UAC application does. I use Trend PC-Cillin as well and it performs similar functions and is not as intrusive as UAC... in my opinion that is.

UAC is good for novices whilst a pain in the butt for more experienced users.

Cheers

winmacguy
19-08-2007, 08:58 AM

It is "one extra click" too often repeated that doesn't provide any extra benefit to the user other than pissing them off. You shouldn't need to run as administrator just to be able to install stuff without encountering the UAC popups. All you should need to do is to enter the admin password ONCEwhile in USER mode to allow you to install apps x,y,b and c then log out and be on your merry way.

pctek
19-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I like an O/S to sit there doing nothing until I give it a command. It should then perform that command.

Not act like someones mother..........are you sure, no thats not a good idea, no don't do that...blah blah.

winmacguy
19-08-2007, 09:09 AM
It's annoying because if you have decent, malware/spyware software running you wouldn't need UAC in the 1st place... it's double handling.

Right on the button there Chiefnz.:thumbs: although I would look at the other way around and say that if UAC did what it was supposed to you wouldn't need to run anti malware and spyware apps which is the world that Mac and Linux users live in.

wainuitech
19-08-2007, 10:11 AM
What is the game by the way?

This question was not answered - It may have nothing to do with UAC, The original question stated the game couldn't install ?
The game may run fine on XP but simply may not run on Vista - thats a common problem.

you may have to do it in compatability mode ?

Whats the game please you are trying to install?

Oh Almost forgot - Welcome to PressF1 Kiwidog I see that was your first post.

motorbyclist
19-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Right on the button there Chiefnz.:thumbs: although I would look at the other way around and say that if UAC did what it was supposed to you wouldn't need to run anti malware and spyware apps which is the world that Mac and Linux users live in.

lol, but mac and to a lesser degree linux users can't play most games kiwidog is going to want to play - and once mac does have a large enough market share to get major game studios on board, they'll be large enough to attract spyware and viruses etc.

it ain't fair!

winmacguy
19-08-2007, 01:56 PM
and once mac does have a large enough market share to get major game studios on board, they'll be large enough to attract spyware and viruses etc.

it ain't fair!

If Mac was going to get it's "market share" percentage worth of 16,000+ (compared to Windows 170,0000+) viruses it would have had them by now motorbyclist. Virus writers have had 7 years to think about it. On the meagre Mac gaming front:( (Apple needs to do something about the lack of gaming ability of its hardware first)
EA (for what it is worth) has just announced a bunch of Mac gaming titles;
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Need for Speed Carbon
Battlefield 2142
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
In addition to these games, other EA titles available for Mac include The Sims 2, The Sims 2 Open for Business , The Sims 2 Pets, The Sims 2 Nightlife, The Sims 2 University, The Sims 2 Family Fun Stuff, The Sims 2 Seasons, The Sims 2 Life Stories and more.

Still a long way to go though.

(I don't game on either platform)