Chipset
Intel® 945GC Express Chipset

Standard memory
512 MB

Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM

Memory slots
2 DIMM sockets

It would be fair to say that it runs like a blind 3 legged dog.
The customer only uses this for email and minor web searching as he is out in the sticks with access to dialup only. He has a faster PC for his business and data and keeps the new one just for web access.
His previous pc (P3 600Meg), ran XPPro with 512meg RAM and ran appreciably faster.
This PC takes a long time to boot and seems to responde slowly when changing web pages(dialup) ?although hiis old pc was nowhere near as slow.
My only suggestion to him is to throw more memory at the PC.
Does anyone else have any suggestions to motivate the PC to work faster??

Cheers

HH

winmacguy
18-08-2007, 04:59 PM
You could try running Speedy's HJT file on it just in case there is any malware on the system.

ronyville
18-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Only for emails and web than 512MB is good enough but it would be a good idea to put more RAM, put in another 512MB and make it 1GB. But if he is saying that surfing the net is slow than remind him that he is on dial up! Vista does need good hardware to run smoothly.

wainuitech
18-08-2007, 05:20 PM
As ronyville up the memory to 1 Gb or more, 512 even for Vista basic is the Minimum that MS advice, it'll run just wont win any races;)

Looking at the spec's provided it is a budget PC.

Graphics alone suck lots of power- even in Basic mode.

ferrite
18-08-2007, 05:25 PM
People
I have a customer who purcased a PC with the below specs

Intel® Celeron® D processor 360
• 3.46 GHz, 512 KB Advanced Transfer Cache, 533 MHz

Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic

Chipset
Intel® 945GC Express Chipset

Standard memory
512 MB

Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM

Memory slots
2 DIMM sockets

It would be fair to say that it runs like a blind 3 legged dog.
The customer only uses this for email and minor web searching as he is out in the sticks with access to dialup only. He has a faster PC for his business and data and keeps the new one just for web access.
His previous pc (P3 600Meg), ran XPPro with 512meg RAM and ran appreciably faster.
This PC takes a long time to boot and seems to responde slowly when changing web pages(dialup) ?although hiis old pc was nowhere near as slow.
My only suggestion to him is to throw more memory at the PC.
Does anyone else have any suggestions to motivate the PC to work faster??

Cheers

HH
i fixed a friends lap top by uninstalling all bloatware put in another 512.;) funny how it went alot faster after uninstalling norton anti virus

pctek
18-08-2007, 05:32 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Intel® Celeron® D processor 360
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
512 MB

(P3 600Meg), ran XPPro with 512meg RAM and ran appreciably faster.

You already have your answer.

LiquidSolidity
18-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Just add more ram and it will be fine.

Greven
18-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Is it a Dell?

Uninstall Google Desktop search if it has it & that bloated anti-spyware program Dell bundles with their computers.

beeswax34
18-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I would say put 512MB more of RAM and if its a branded system, take out all the c*** they put on it. I took out almost 3GB of stuff from my new HP lappy.

wainuitech
18-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Is it a Dell?

Uninstall Google Desktop search if it has it & that bloated anti-spyware program Dell bundles with their computers.

Yeah I wonder how much Google Paid Dell to install that crap. The built in search in Vista is far better.

wratterus
18-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Acer is chronic for installing bloatware as well, their 'alaunch.exe' is positively evil.:mad:

Happy Harry
18-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi one and all.
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes I know its is low spec PC but that is what he bought.
I have little knowledge of Vista but from all I have read and seen on the web it is not the best product out thereand runs poory unless on a high spec PC.
This is an HP budget Presaio, pre loaded and configured.
I will suggest he get some more RAM.

Thanks again for the input

HH

Happy Harry
18-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi one and all.
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes I know its is low spec PC but that is what he bought.
I have little knowledge of Vista but from all I have read and seen on the web it is not the best product out thereand runs poory unless on a high spec PC.
This is an HP budget Presaio, pre loaded and configured.
I will suggest he get some more RAM.

Thanks again for the input

HH

Metla
18-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Don't forget to send some hate mail to HP.

Agent_24
19-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Don't forget to send some hate mail to HP.

:D heh heh

You could try PC-DeCrapifier, don't know how well it runs on vista though. It will probably remove vista as part of the crap :lol:

beeswax34
19-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Just get rid of all the movie editing programs on the HP (muvee and Roxio) and the roxio burning software. Add Nero, its much better.

Get rid of MS Works, MS Office is much better and all you need. Get rid of Norton and get AVG and finally remove Acrobat Reader and install Foxit.

This all plus more RAM will be more than enough hopefully:thumbs: